Subject: Sounds a lot like Frag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds a lot like Steve Jackson's Frag. I only played that a few times and I didn't really like it, but there were grandchildren involved so that may have adversely affected my opinion. I'm going to have to drag it out and give it another go with adults and reevaluate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The setting? Sure. The game play? Not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
well one has dice and is a basic ameritrash style game. The other does not have dice and is more of a euro game with area control with a theme on it. Which is to say, as it often happens, some ameritrash style players will buy this game and get really ticked off that it doesn't play like they imagined. But I think many will end up loving it, on both sides of the genre fence (which is one of the things that CGE does so well with their other titles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
well one has dice and is a basic ameritrash style game. The other does not have dice and is more of a euro game with area control with a theme on it.

Area control? Where is the area control in Adrenaline? I'm not seeing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Paul described the game as area control, where the players' health tracks are the areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
I think Paul described the game as area control, where the players' health tracks are the areas.
We described it as that half in-jest. It was actually Vlaada who described in that way in an interview ages ago. We dont "officially" say it is an area control game at all, but there are definite "area control" mechanics in the game in a number of places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing when they described it as area control with the players health as the area, then I played a round and they where right but it surprised me how much fun it was as it is usually not an element I enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
The setting? Sure. The game play? Not at all.

Hmm, yeah I suppose I should have taken a closer look at the gameplay before I posted that. I was going based on what I remembered from the RDTN podcast from a few months ago and the first of Paul Grogan's preview articles.

PaulGrogan wrote:
In a game of Adrenaline, players take it in turns to move their figure around the arena, picking up weapons and ammo and trying to damage their opponents. When one combatant has taken lethal damage, they are killed and removed from the board. Points are then allocated to all players responsible for their death, with the player who did the most damage getting more points, obviously.
Then the dead player respawns, just like that. It’s as if all those bullet wounds and losing an arm to a rocket blast didn’t actually happen! After there have been a certain number of deaths, final countdown happens and then the game ends.

They are both boardgame implementations of FPSs but it sounds like the gameplay mechanisms are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
boomtron wrote:
We described it as that half in-jest. It was actually Vlaada who described in that way in an interview ages ago. We dont "officially" say it is an area control game at all, but there are definite "area control" mechanics in the game in a number of places.

I can definitely see the "area control" aspects. By doing damage you are increasing your stake in the limited "real estate" of damage done to a player. The more representation you have the more points you will earn when the scoring is initiated when the player dies.
There is a lot more to the game, though, so it definitely is not strictly an area control game. Which is good, because games like El Grande fall way flat for me. This is the first game using area control that interests me, and it interests me a LOT. It will be a unique theme and mechanism in my collection, which is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.