$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Daniel Rose
msg tools
I managed to get a few of these ships (with some of the cards) and I was wondering how people actually use these ships in the game. From what I can see it looks like you are kinda just meant to get one attack or action off then the ship will go down.

They are very cheap so if its a good action, it could be worth it but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to effectively use these ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romulan science vessels and scouts are often used as support ships -- hard to hit, cheap, and able to field Donatra, Mendak, or other similar cards.

At least one bird of prey (the Praetus) has romulan mines and those get used a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often use them as support ships. They also come in handy for scenario fulfillment: a shield-less Bird of Prey incurs no penalty for beaming around away teams, for instance, and a turn spent firing at it is a turn spent not firing at your heavy hitter(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned the scouts and science vessels are great support ships. Having 3 tech slots on the Talvath is pretty nice. Romulans have some good buff cards and the scouts/SV are great for them.

The bigger Romulan ships tend to be high on points so the BoP provide a nice way to get another attack ship in for low cost. Disruptor Beams is nice for these ships, getting them up to 5 attacks. Main Batteries from the Retag is good for these ships. Add on a Bridge Officer from the Vraks and you can fire the Main Batteries every turn.

Captain Valdore 5 with Disruptor Beams and Advanced Cloak on the Vorta Vor is fun. Vorta Vor makes it easy to echo out of arc and Valdor gives and extra attack. Makes a fun little flanking ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically this for the science vessels:

R.I.S. Talvath [14]
- Donatra 6 (Captain) [4]
- Interphase Generator [3]
- Cloaked Mines [3]
- Cloaked Mines [3]
Ship Total: 27 SP

Fleet Total: 27 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

Drops mines turn 2-3, stays cloaked, can take one good hit thanks to interphase and provides +1 attack to everyone who stays close to it. Stick Mendak on it if you fleet lacks Battlestations or action efficiency and run it with 2x 50 point hard hitters. Even when it dies its mines are still on the table.

As others have said, the Bird of Prey make nice combat support ships with a semi decent captain, a weapons upgrade and staying out of main fire arcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Vorta Vor/Valdore/Disruptor Beams(or pulse)/Advanved cloak
30 points for a fairly potent and maneuverable flanker

Vo/Donatra
20 for a suprisingly durable blocker and area buff. Helps to pad a Haakona

Apnex/Muon
18 for a bizarre ship that nobody is going to be ready for. Even funnier to throw quark with a second muon token under him.

Praetus/Tal
17 for an objective hunting ship that still throws 4 attack dice at range 1 if needed. Can be used for blocking as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.