Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The 2017 Ion Award Game Design Competition is now officially open for entries!

The Ion Award is for unpublished game designs. Every year we receive entries from designers around the world. Every year winners and finalists get published!

You can read the rules and enter your game here:

Ion Award Entry Form

Past Ion Award winners and Finalists include:

Ion Award timeline:

Deadline for game design entries: Sunday 1/1/2017

Finalists announced on or around: Monday 2/6/2017

Final Judging at SaltCON Convention: Thursday 3/2/2017

Winners announced at the Ion Award Ceremony: Saturday 3/4/2017

SaltCON is a board game convention, with an emphasis on open gaming. SaltCON 2017 will be Thursday-Sunday, March 2-5 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2017 Ion Award Game Design Competition Now Open for Entries!
We've added a new category this year, Dexterity Games!

The three categories are:

Strategy Game
Light Game
Dexterity Game

I'm excited to see what new designs come in this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifying question:

The entries cannot be under consideration by any companies to be eligible, but can the entry be entered into other contests running at the same time (e.g. hippodice) and still be eligible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can enter a game in other competitions at the same time. Just remember the rules of the Ion, such as not signing any contracts until the Ion Award final judging has completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theofilos Koutroubis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is a contest mostly for USA citizens? Because if you live in Europe etc. you probably won`t attend the event if you are one of the finalists. Is it ok to not attend and not be disqualified?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are chosen as a finalist and you cannot attend the SaltCON convention, then we can look into ways to allow you to present your game to the final judges through a proxy, or possibly by a remote video call, or other means.

We have received game design entries from around the world already, over the years. We also have had judges for the preliminary judging from around the world. We expect the Ion Award to continue to grow as a worldwide game design competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
We've added a new category this year, Dexterity Games!

The three categories are:

Strategy Game
Light Game
Dexterity Game

I'm excited to see what new designs come in this year!

Quick question, will the judges be playing the games or just reading the rules? It seems we just submit the rules in the upload link, but is the image link supposed to be print and play files that the judges will construct or is it an image of the game in play?

Also, what does it mean Game Packet and how are those obtained by judges and done? Thanks. (Last question, if I submit a game to this, can I submit the game to other contests too?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The esteemed NowOrNever88 wrote:
Quick question, will the judges be playing the games or just reading the rules? It seems we just submit the rules in the upload link, but is the image link supposed to be print and play files that the judges will construct or is it an image of the game in play?

For the first round of judging, you can provide the rules, a picture of the game setup, and summary, and you can optionally also provide a 6 minute or less video pitch that demonstrates gameplay. That is what they judges will use to rate the games, and we will use those rating to determine the finalists.

The finalists will bring their games to the final judging, and present to the judges in person.

The esteemed NowOrNever88 also wrote:
Also, what does it mean Game Packet and how are those obtained by judges and done?

The Game Packet is all of those items listed in answer to your first question. For the first round of judging, we send all of these items electronically to the judges wherever they are. We have judges around the world that participate. They review these materials and give an initial rating to each game.

Finally, NowOrNever88 wrote:
(Last question, if I submit a game to this, can I submit the game to other contests too?)

Yes, you can submit your game design to other competitions during the Ion Award. Just remember the rules of the Ion which prohibit signing any contract to publish your game until after the final Awards have been determined.

We want to preserve the integrity of the Ion Award, but we don't intend to limit you as a designer. Once the competition is complete, your design is still yours to do with as you please. We just hope to provide an opportunity for you to get exposure, and celebrate excellent game designs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Khan
msg tools
Is the game being judge only on gameplay or will full finished art also be required?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are being judged on gameplay. You do not need to have full art for your game.

The judges are designers and developers who are familiar with game prototypes and have experience playtesting unpublished games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
Yes, you can enter a game in other competitions at the same time. Just remember the rules of the Ion, such as not signing any contracts until the Ion Award final judging has completed.

Does self publishing a game make it not eligible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
ytter wrote:

That is correct. The competition is for unpublished game designs, so a self-published game would not be eligible.

Ion Awards, Eligibility wrote:
3. The game cannot be published prior to, or during the competition. This includes but is not limited to self-publishing, crowd-funding opportunities, and games available for purchase through print and play sources, but does not include games available through print and play sources only for the purposes of prototype creation and distribution. If your game has been available for purchase for any purpose other than prototype creation, then your game is considered to be published and is not eligible for this competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
ex1st wrote:
[q="ytter"]Yes, you can enter a game in other competitions at the same time. Just remember the rules of the Ion, such as not signing any contracts until the Ion Award final judging has completed.

That is correct. The competition is for unpublished game designs, so a self-published game would not be eligible.

Ion Awards, Eligibility]3. The game cannot be published prior to, or during the competition. This includes but is not limited to self-publishing, crowd-funding opportunities, and games available for purchase through print and play sources, but does not include games available through print and play sources only for the purposes of prototype creation and distribution. If your game has been available for purchase for any purpose other than prototype creation, then your game is considered to be published and is not eligible for this competition.[/q wrote:

Thanks Dan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
Hi!

I'm getting ready to submit a game design which requires an app to play. I have a prototype app for Windows and for Android (near to completion; you can play the game, but there's one or two more features I want to add). It's pretty easy to pass these apps around, and in fact I could include them in e-mail attachments or on any filehosting website.

Right now, I'm just planning to mention this briefly somewhere in my game description. DO you think there's anything else I ought to do to make sure it goes smoothly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

It would be ideal if the judges had access to everything they need to try the game. If the app is required to play the game, you should include a link to the app in your description of the game, or in the current version of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
Great; then I'll try and make sure there are clear links/instructions in every part of the game packet. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Caldwell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about the "Duration" field of the entry form. What should I enter if the playtime scales based on the number of players? A single play game can be completed within 30 minutes, but each additional player will add another 30 minutes and it plays 1-4. The range would be 30-120 minutes. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick which you think will be most likely then put the 30 minutes per player in the description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Do they accept abstract games? Let's say it's a strategy game, but abstract strategy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They totally accept abstract strategy games. One of the finalists last year was abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting the finishing touches on my word game and am puzzled on which category it should be in. Bonus points add more strategy than other word games, dice makes the randomness controllable rather than just drawing random letters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can decide which category your game fits best in. I might say that the Light category is for games targeted toward the casual crowd, where the strategy category is for games targeted more toward more serious gamers. It will be great to see another one of your designs in the competition!

Only 3 days left to submit your designs, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ytter wrote:
You can decide which category your game fits best in. I might say that the Light category is for games targeted toward the casual crowd, where the strategy category is for games targeted more toward more serious gamers. It will be great to see another one of your designs in the competition!

Only 3 days left to submit your designs, everyone!

It'll be nice to make it back to Saltcon.
Easier to do for those of you who live in Utah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True! It has grown since you were here last. A little over double the attendance, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.