Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first day began of our long war in the defense of Israel. Already we began with an artillery and a bombardment battalion hammering our position. It was very difficult to even think with all the shells pounding us. We knew we had to tackle them right way if the war was ever to be won.

I picked Shadow and Flash to tackle the artillery battalion with their AH-64A Apaches with loads of hellfires and LAU rockets. Flash was good at long range and cool under pressure, and Shadow was more effective at close range.

Their approach was from the northern canyon. Shadow would take the SAM from the east, and Flash would take the SAM to the west. The first turn went well with eliminating both SAMs and the infantry to the east. Flash had trouble taking out the SCUD in the north. Shadow took a hit from the infantry to the southeast to his HUD which made him way less effective at close range and had forget the cannon now.

The rest didn't go as well as I had hoped. Flash and Shadow missed too much and spent too much ordinance. I didn't feel confident in their cannon abilities. The battalion was decimated enough to no longer give us trouble, so I ordered them home without further incident.

I sent in Divot and Pro with their AV-8B Harriers to the bombardment battalion. This was my first time deploying Harriers into battle and was anxious to see how effective they were. Divot was deadly at long range, so he carried a load of hellfires. I also had him carry two Mk 20's just in case our intel was correct that some of the targets were clustered. I figured he had a better chance of hitting at close range than Pro, since he seemed little edgy but quick.

They approached at too different angles. Pro would hit the first AAA site in the eastern center before Divot would maneuver into a hover and hit the AAA site in the western center. Pro would then proceed to circle north and then back southwest then up through the center, while Divot would immediately tackle the rest of the AAA sites.

Even though Pro missed a couple of vehicles in the northeastern corner, he was able to effectively take out the rest of his targets even got a good cannon shot in on one target. Divot did a fine job finishing off the AAA and the other targets with his hellfires and Mk 20's. He dropped two Mk 20's on the four targets in the the western canyon at the edge of the target zone. He still had to finish one more target off with his cannon which also hit, before exiting the area. The battalion was destroyed.

I was very impressed at the effectiveness of the Harriers. Their ability to hover, move at the speed of a Thunderbolt, and carry more than an Apache is very nice capability.

With the two threats neutralized, I would call this a smashing success to start the war. The only concern is the amount of points spent for the day, I hope next day goes better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every post you make is decreasing the time it is gonna take for me to get this back on the table. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pretty good AAR for the first day of your Campaign! Though realistically, Harriers aren't meant for hovering like Helos. Even a few variant threads know this to be artistic license as well. But no matter at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.