Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day two began with lots of opportunities to take out some targets. Since the air base is our top priority in this campaign, I reviewed the assault battalions closest to our base. However, we received some timely intel that the enemy battalions were digging in which meant they wouldn't be advancing much this day. This allowed me to focus on some other prime targets like the enemy forward base that was making everyone nervous and stressed out. It's never a good feeling to know the enemy is within striking distance.

Our operation budget was running tight, so I noticed an enemy convoy sneaking in that would limit our operations by resupplying the enemy. I figured they were small enough that I might be able to assign Divot with his harrier to clean them up by himself. I had him loaded up with some cheaper and older LAU-68 rockets, because he's such a good shot from downtown with them. I didn't want to waste the expensive stuff on the battalion.

I had him start in the southeast corner of the target zone near a group of enemy trucks and APC's. As long as he could stay out of range of their weapons, he should have it pretty easy. The trucks are almost too easy to hit sometimes with a good pilot at the stick. He proceeded to mop up the site. He did run into a little trouble using his rockets against the APC's. They proved to be a little tougher then I wanted, so I ordered him to finish up the trucks on his approach back through the middle.

Divot exited through the northeast with a little bit of damage and some stress from some APC fire, but I would still call this a success. We needed to keep the enemy on their heels by keep their supplies down if we were ever going to finish this war.

Before I decided to take on the forward base, we got intel that a scout group in the enemy rear was facilitating the movements of the enemy assault battalions. I figured it needed to be taken down to cut their advance on our base. I tapped Genius for this mission, since he was rested and ready for action. I had him loaded up with a couple of mavericks to handle the tanks and load the rest with hellfires to take on the rest of the targets. His approach was to be from the north side of the target zone in the center. He would then proceed to take on the two command units first, then proceed to take out the rest of the battalion.

The mission went off without a hitch. As Genius moved southeast and took out the command unit and tank in the northeast. He took some fire from the other command unit without effect. He then proceeded to eliminate that unit while hovering, and rotated taking out more targets. It was almost like shooting fish in a barrel. With the battalion down, he exited to the east without much worry.

The final mission proved to be trickier than I anticipated. I was more focused on neutralizing the forward base, since I didn't have scout support for the mission. I sent Dart and Flash in to try and cause as much damage as possible. Dart had trouble on approach to target and had to come in at high altitude which proved to be troublesome. On their approach from the east, he took hits from the AAA site in the center, but was still on track by taking out the AAA site that scruffed him up along with the command bunkers using his laser guided bombs. Flash proceeded along the ridge hitting the tank in the middle, and stayed south hitting targets with his hellfires.

The targets to the west were the most troublesome by digging into cover. Dart had to circle around the far APC a couple of times before eliminating it to complete the mission, and Flash was running on fumes exiting the area and got a little stressed. Dart had taken on a lot of damage with this high flying antics, and that was more than I wanted. But, "dem's the breaks", and I'll have to roll with it going into the next day. I did fix some of the damage, but I may have to count the F-16 out for a while before I can afford more repairs. Either way, everyone was breathing easier with that forward base taken down.

Thankfully, most the enemy battalions either held or retreated back because of today's success. All in all, a decent day with all my pilots back makes this commander happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mb

Very clear narrative. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank goodness the Enemy didn't press on. Those many Battalions that close would've been nightmarish to deal with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.