Fox Reinard
msg tools
Does anyone know the purpose of these in quests (Introduction being an example rather than the focus) when there are no Open groups to choose from? I haven't yet come across any game elements that interact with these traits other than choosing Open monster groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Plot cards key off monster traits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Ah. Which ones key off Quest monster traits at the top of the guide page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many to list, but for example, some of Mirklace's cards give an additional bonus to monsters with the Hot trait when used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
I'm aware that some plot cards key off monster cards' traits. What is the purpose of the Introduction quest in Shadow of Nerekhall (for example) showing that you can select open groups featuring "Building" and "Cursed" when there are no Open monster groups in that quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
I'm aware that some plot cards key off monster cards' traits. What is the purpose of the Introduction quest in Shadow of Nerekhall (for example) showing that you can select open groups featuring "Building" and "Cursed" when there are no Open monster groups in that quest?

That's such a bizarre thing! This could be for an experimental variant to the game or add on that was never implemented. If this was the case, it would've been deemed too situational imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy reference for what kind of traits monsters in that quest have? If I recall right, changelings are civilized/cursed and ironbound are civilized/building. So it tells you what sort of monster groups you're working with without having to flip the cards over.

And again, since plot cards can key off those traits, and the overlord player starts with one if using them, that's one purpose for having them there even when open groups can't be chosen.

What would be gained by leaving them off? They provide information that is sometimes useful and is never confusing, since the monster groups are always fixed in these quests.

If I were designing a game I'd keep elements like this consistent just in case they ever became of use, even if they weren't strictly necessary. From an editing/layout perspective, every exception you make for a standard layout introduces a new possibility for error. If you have some quests with traits at the top and some without, it becomes more likely that a quest will get through that should have the traits at top, but doesn't, or vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:

It has no purpose whatsoever. You can safely ignore the symbols when no open groups are present in the quest. They might have added the symbols for completeness' sake, or for the possibility of some future rule or expansion.

But for now the only use of the monster traits on quests is purely for the selection of open groups. If a quest has no open groups, those symbols have no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.