BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Recruiting Werewolves and Villagers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Hi!

There is an entire forum here on Boardgamegeek dedicated to Werewolf games. We play all kinds of games, from "Villagers vs Werewolves" to variants where every single player has abilities. Some of our more complex games include items, locations and multiple teams. The sky is the limit!

So why am I posting this? Because it would be great if you joined up!

INTRO TO THE FRESH MEAT INITIATIVE - 2016

This thread has the basic breakdown of what is going on as well as links to four games. Each game is functionally the same, but there is a different dusk and dawn for each game.

If you've considered Werewolf in the past, then I am here to ask you to consider it now. Go jump into that linked thread, give it a once-over, and post if you have questions. Geekmail me if you want to know more. Go looking for one of the Fresh Meat games and jump on in!

If you've played Werewolf with the cards / in real life, then you're already used to how the game functions, but note that Werewolf online doesn't work the same way. You won't catch people by how they squirm under pressure, you have to catch them by their shifting point of view. You have to realize that they're working with hidden knowledge or that they're always going in half-measures for the good of the village.
... basically, it's not the same game as F2F Werewolf, but it's still a fun game!

Okay, so, I know this is a bit weird. This isn't really one of the "gaming" forums. I know that. You know that. So what the hell am I doing, posting an advertisement for a game here in RSP? Well, I'm posting here for three main reasons:

One. If there's anyone on BGG that can argue / debate, it's the people who invest a lot of time in RSP. Granted, there are some who don't do much more than call other people names, but hey, I'm talking about what it takes to play a game, not who believes what.

Two. There have already been a few RSPers who have made the transition to the WW forum. Or vice-versa. Does it really matter who they are? Not too much (IMO). The emphasis is that the back-and-forths between Team Evil and Team Good is reminiscent of a good back and forth here in RSP. You guys and gals have already been practicing your skills of converting others to your way of thinking.

Three. The games are just that. Games. No one talks about RSP in the games. The threads are there for people to have fun with, not to discuss which politician did the latest Very Bad Thing (TM). Even the RSP games are nothing more than excuses to let players curse each other out, they're not about real world information. There is no actual politics or religion - it's just a game. And when it's over, you shake your opponent's hand (or curse them out for getting you killed), and then you look around for the next game you're interested in.

Bottom line, it's a fun and short escape from the real world, there are stakes at hand and you can affect how the game turns out (unlike the real world), and there are lots of good people there, hoping that you'll give it a try.

If you have questions, please feel free to post here or in the Fresh Meat thread. You can also geekmail. Either way, I hope to see you in a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
We actually have a number of sock puppet accounts that are used for No Meta games. They don't run all the time, but they're available. They're typically used when players get too used to how each other operates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
And for what it's worth, from everything I have seen, RSPers can get along just fine at cons and the like and most of you seem to be intelligent and well-spoken.

Shrug. The WW forum is for games, and we don't tend to have overlap between gaming and serious RSP stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Argyle Mac Sook
Antarctica
Someones foot
Luna
msg tools
badge
My arch enemy is Dr. Dryer. Curse you Dr. Dryer!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldie is definitely a werewolf. I'm a happy villager in the "laundry basket of deplorables".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is borderline thread-crapping, but I'd be interested in some RSP-only social deduction games like Werewolf or also something like Diplomacy.

So far I've only played hearthstone w/ y'all using technologically mediated means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did an RSP game of The Resistance a while back that was pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Terwox wrote:
I know this is borderline thread-crapping, but I'd be interested in some RSP-only social deduction games like Werewolf or also something like Diplomacy.

So far I've only played hearthstone w/ y'all using technologically mediated means.

Some of the mods (including me) have set up private games for players. Like, I ran a game a couple of years ago that was entirely in Portuguese. We can certainly do something like that, if there was an interest. But I would encourage you to give the general WW forum a shot. There are a lot of good folks in both places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
It's worth pointing out that we're not pushing for the games to start prior to 21 October, so you have three weeks to research, discuss, and consider which option works for best for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend playing Werewolf, and in fact, intermixing with the werewolf crowd, which is full of really nice people who just happen to be killing you at night and lynching you during the day.

But RSP only games have happened before and could again.

But you should just play the games they already have out there because Werewolf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Is this really an RSP thread?

Fuck it, now it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
And for what it's worth, from everything I have seen, RSPers can get along just fine at cons and the like and most of you seem to be intelligent and well-spoken.

You would say that, you goddamn progressive/reactionary/green/libertarian/authoritarian (delete as appropriate) apologist. What do you have to say about (insert whatever outrage-du-jour is circulating around my twitter feed), eh?

Everyone knows that werewolf is just a (a reactionary game legitimizing the extermination of those who deviate from societal norms/liberal propaganda normalizing deviation of societal norms/authoritarian propaganda legitimizing violation of due process by the tyrannical majority/normalizing our extinction of endangered species).

Sorry, we can't let standards of discourse slip here. Any more unwarranted and unprovoked compliments, and we'll have to have Octavian wield the +5 ban-hammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a bonus, you get to play with me sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is that if Chapel is playing a game of Werewolf with you, then nominate him to be the first one killed... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets go for it, bags the fist dead villager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Lets go for it, bags the fist dead villager.

Sorry, Slater...I don't think you're allowed back after you tried to fist a dead villager in the last game you played. We told you then and I'm telling you now, it's not that kind of game.

Wait, there's no fisting?

I thought you said it was a Werewolf game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.