Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron Berge
Sweden
Göteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Ive been looking forward to trying this game since I got it and now it was time. Nobody in our group had played it before so we were all newbies.

Players:
Aron Tyrell (me)
Axel Lannister
Isak Baratheon
Oskar Greyjoy
Erik Stark

Maybe because it was our first time everybody seemed afraid to be to aggressive trying to snatch the open regions without scaring the opponents. Me and Lannister agreed on a demilitarised zone in the Searoad Marches, In the east I had a non-aggression pact with Baratheon while Lannister and Greyjoy agreed on drawing the line between seagard and Riverrun.

The game started with two mustering and two clash of kings in a row giving Lannister a good start with the top spot on both Iron Throne and Fiefdom tracks from round four to round eight. With all the new mustered units everybody was building their defenses waiting for someone to make a move.

At last Greyjoy was the first to break the peace taking the Stony Shore and later Winterfell from Stark. This showed to be a bad move as the war in the north weakened both Stark and Greyjoy giving Baratheon control over the east and Lannister a golden opportunity to stab Greyjoy in the back taking Seagard and Pyke which had been left unguarded.

Lannister now on five cities led me to march north taking Lannisport and Stoney Sept threatening Riverrun and Harrenhal while the weakened Stark and Greyjoy desperately tried to hold their position. But Lannister held his remaining cities andin the last turn it was a close fight where Baratheon tried to take Sunspear twice which would have given him the win but was stopped by a single defending knight and MAce Tyrell who had been saved for the last fight. I was victorious thanks to the supply track

The result:
Tyrell 5 cities (Highgarden, Oldtown, The Reach, Sunspear, Lannisport)5 Supply
Baratheon 5 cities (Dragonstone, Kings Landing, Storms End, The Eyrie, Cracklaw Point)3 supply
Lannister 3 cities (Riverrun, Harrenhal, Pyke)5 supply
Stark 3 cities (Winterfell, White Harbor, Moat Cailin)3 supply
Greyjoy 2 cities (Seagard,Flint's Finger)

It was a tight game where Lannister was close to taking seven cities. Greyjoy and Stark should have made a peaceagreement at an early stage, now their war destroyed them both.

Anyway we all agreed we like the game and will play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad that you liked the game, it looks like your first game is similar to most people's, including the group I play with.

The first game we played was very defensive, nobody wanting to make that first bad attack move and not one person made it through their house cards. In fact, Baratheon made the first attack early on driving Stark out of the eastern seaboard, but never was in another battle for the rest of the game despite owning almost the entire right side of the board with just 1 unit or power token on most of them. The battles we did get into were only supported by our own units.

Definitely play it a few times, the more you get comfortable with the mechanics and strategy, the more battles you will be in. You will also get a feel for the raid tokens and supporting battles of other houses as it benefits you. It was nice to see some broken treaties, that makes the game more enjoyable as it forces you to always be on guard. You may find (in my opinion) that game-long truces detract from the game and strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, try to avoid long term truces or alliances. You end up in the situation of pure 1v1's because 'your ally is also allied with your enemy' situations. That takes away third party interference. And it limits your offensive capabilities, unless you break these deals regularly, which should acquire you a poor reputation and then you won't have to worry about being able to make these deals anyway.

I find one or two turn truces to be much better, as it keeps your possibilities open, and allows you to focus for a while or consolidate power. Breaking your truces may be advantageous, but personally I never break them because I've garnished that board reputation fpr never breaking a deal that helps me in the long run. I never break a truce, but I often end up winning the game, and often attacking people who didn't expect it. For one thing I never give over a 2 turn truce unless I'm pressured into it, as in if I don't do it I may end up in a 1v2 situation that I can't handle. Occasionally I've been in a situation (usually Lannister in pre-expansion 5 player) where I'm fighting Greyjoy and another person and there is no way I will have a chance at winning. At that point, I'm willing to give a permanent alliance as focusing on one person gives me the [slight] chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.