$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb

In response to: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628238/raxxon-makes-game-t...

Here are the three simple rules...

Download PDF - I made the page small so it easily slots into the manual without falling out or bending corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played with these rules yet. A few issues come to mind for me:

First off, the "issues":
1) Diligence has little to do with it. Sometimes you just don't have the dice you need and maybe you don't want to risk moving around to swap players at the location?
2) Technically no, you aren't forced to do anything. If you want to see more zombies show up, just let them out and save those dice for extra actions. The game is all about choices after all.
3) True.
4) Bandits can and will show up at Raxxon if you play with both. I don't agree with pretty the minimal penalty claim, necessarily.

--------

The rules:
1) As stated above, if your issue is with the special zombies being too easy to contain, AND having to spend two dice to contain them...both those problems can be fixed in a much less fiddly way. Just don't use the dice to contain them in the first place. Recognize that it may not be a big deal to let one or two out and see what happens.

2) This may be ok, I guess, but I think it only makes camping at Raxxon more likely as there is always a chance found items are sent back for someone else to grab. so I don't think this really solves the issue you point to.

3) This brings me to my previous disagreement about how you view the locations. I don't understand why people wouldn't care about the other locations in the game if Raxxon or the bandits are in play. There is literally zero reason to go to the bandit hideout most of the time. And if you DO need to go there, the risks are quite high.

I agree Raxxon has huge appeal and people want to go there, but like any other location in the game the spots are limited and more people means more fighting off zombies. Plus, as you've already pointed out, people who go there may be spending dice to contain special zombies AND searching there means rolling for exposure. And you may not finding anything useful anyway.

Granted, yes, the items at Raxxon are so good it is worth the risk. However, the primary focus is always on your secret objective, the main objective and the crises. And because of that, losing interest in basically the majority of the game makes no sense to me. Wasting a bunch of time and energy farming out Raxxon doesn't do much good if you can't beat the crises or complete the secret or main objectives. Especially when the new police station weapons are also really good, the chainsaw is quite good, many of the special abilities are really good, AND the library is always an underappreciated location as the books can be extremely good as well. But much of this over-focus on the new locations might just be because they are "new" and people tend to be so interested in the new, they lose sight of what really matters in the game, I think. Give it a few more plays and I think you will see Raxxon is always a draw, but you certainly aren't missing anything if you just ignore it.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I understand what you're saying. I've already considered the deeper factors you mention. Cheers for feedback.

By weakening Raxxon items via theft, Raxxon becomes less appealing.

Bandit Hideout has that lure, that in many situations you can easily get an item you critically need (for main-objective,crisis,food supply,secret-obj).

People have mixed feelings on these modules. Many convoluted variants have been appearing.

I love the modules but I don't want them to weaken the core mechanics of: search and noise, choose right location with higher density of item type you need, and move and attack exposure.

I believe these three rules are simple and will address a lot of players' concerns. Will offer a slightly harder game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Tweak to rule 2. A little less severe than before.
"Raid, Bandits steal your high value item. Place it on the Bandits' Stockpile."

Requires you to be using both modules. If not, then 2=1 or vice versa.

Creates an interesting dynamic with the Bandit Leader wanting/denying the item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Help with containment:

1) In a pinch - don't forget about food for easier containment. Unless you need a 1.
Manual: A player may spend 1 or more food tokens by removing them from the food supply area on the colony board. That player increases any 1 unused action die he controls by 1 for every food token he spends.

2) Need a 1? - Junk or Advance
Manual: Re-roll an unused action die you control or place 1 advancement token on an improvement.

Help with dealing with Super Zombies - It's not the end of the world.

1) Remove bandits with Food Trade or Attack them (no risk of wound) to reduce number of normal zombies appearing.
2) Character special non-attack ability to kill normal zombies.
3) Weapon non-attack ability to kill normal zombies.
4) Fuel non-attack ability to kill normal zombies.
5) Barricades/Traps to stop normal/super zombies appearing.
6) Attract, move the normal zombies elsewhere to attack.
7) Weapon attack that says don't roll exposure (Reduce risk vs Super Zombie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
The Library Book - Help Yourself! is pretty insane at Raxxon. No exposure!

EQUIP: (3+) Once per round you may reveal the top 4 cards from the item deck of the location this survivor is at. Select 1 card and add it to your hand. Shuffle the remaining cards back into the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Gave the variants some polish. Now an image and a PDF available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.