Hide
10 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does Duke Give a Free Action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel F
msg tools
Hey guys--I have a question about how you've been playing the Duke card. Are you using Duke as a free action in addition to Pete's two normal actions, or are you playing that if Pete wants to use the trade action as one of his two actions, he may do it as if he were in any space in range? Either way seems kind of imbalanced to me and my play group (either terrible or amazing).

I found this thread where the answer looks like it is a free action but I wanted more opinions. It doesn't have the bolded "Action" trigger, but also does refer to the "trade action" which is by definition an action

Also curious about this thread, where people seem split on whether you have to evade. The card says you can use the "trade action," which implies to me that it is does make you have to evade.

Again, I know there probably isn't an official ruling, just looking for more opinions (especially if any of those are backed by rules)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the consensus is that it IS a free action that can only be used once per turn at the beginning of your turn and only to perform a trade with one SPACE within range. So you can't use Duke to trade Jenny's Cigarette Case to Agatha... however, you could use Duke to trade Jenny's cigarette case to yourself, use your first action to move to Agatha, and then use your second action to trade it to her.

You also would not have to evade because evades are triggered by actions; as covered above, Duke is not an action. The "trade action" listed in the text simply describes the function of the card. It is not in and of itself a trade action (or an action of any kind).

What I am mostly wondering is what happens if you use Duke to trade himself (and possibly some other items) to an investigator who hasn't had their turn yet... do they then get a free trade on their turn? I can't remember if the card specifies once per round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mckay
United Kingdom
Westerham
Kent
flag msg tools
Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
mbmb
I read the card as a ranged trade. I thoughtvthat trading was traditionally at adjacent or 0 range, while the use of duke's dog gives a trade range up to 3? Its still an action as trading is normally an action. Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looshkinx wrote:
I read the card as a ranged trade. I thoughtvthat trading was traditionally at adjacent or 0 range, while the use of duke's dog gives a trade range up to 3? Its still an action as trading is normally an action. Just my two cents.

You can normally only Trade within your space, not to adjacent spaces.

Duke (Ashcan Pete's dog) is probably a free action, as if you read it the other way, then it oddly has to be the first action you take (due to the restriction of using it at the start of your turn. Hopefully somebody gets a response soon on what the developers' intention was with Duke, so we know if it's free or not and whether Duke can be traded during the action (which seems a tad broken).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth adding that an FAQ has just been released (today it seems).

It clarifies that Duke IS a free action.

No word on whether you can trade Duke as part of the action, but I would rule in the meantime as you can't trade him as you are using the action on his card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
Just to make sure... could you let Duke pick up item cards that are lying around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casey080 wrote:
Just to make sure... could you let Duke pick up item cards that are lying around?

Yes, but only in one space. You get all benefits of the trade action, which includes picking up or dropping items in the target space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially confirmed, it is a free action:

Q. “Does using Duke at the start of the turn take one of an investigator’s
two actions?”
A. No. Using Duke does not take one of an investigator’s two actions.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/27/a1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent the query about whether you could trade Duke as part of his own ability to FFG. Here's the response:

Kara Centell-Dunk wrote:
Yes, you can trade Duke using his ability.

I guess my initial assumption on this one was incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arinmir Belegar
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Could you ask about Evade checks usign Duke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.