Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Video How to Play - is it correct? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63FT-LXLun4) there's two things done which I see no mention of in the manual.

1) 4m50s Replace activated Improvements with a new card.
I see a lot of play through videos doing this. I see no mention of it in the manual. Although a lot of other games have this mechanic. The improvements are very powerful, is 4 not enough.

2) 9m45s Special zombie can after placement be killed by explosive trap.
Manual says only on initial placement, and cannot be exploded later.

EDIT! Video description had the following:
CORRECTION: 9:49 Explosive traps that would normally kill a zombie DO NOT affect special zombies. <-- That voids question 2

CORRECTION: 3:56 The FIRST player (not the active player) decides whether to trigger the barricade or explosive traps. <-- Information not found in the manual but good to have an answer to.

I saw in another video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6z1y_5ofE&t=5m35s) which was incorrectly setting off explosive traps whilst an empty entrance space was present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The manual says you place 4 face up improvements, but makes no mention of removing the rest from the game. Therefore, the general assumption is that once you have built one, you replenish the choices. I agree this is a bit ambiguous, but so far there has been no official correction made to this video, the dice tower's video, or any other discussion...so I think it is safe to assume that is correct. However, I think it would be perfectly valid, due to the power of the improvements, to just randomly deal out 4 and those are the only choices available all game. Nothing wrong with that either.

2) You are correct. The rules for special zombies specifically state that they are not affected by explosive traps going off. Only their initial placement on a trap will do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Ryan suggests, including 4 random improvements and not replacing them works well. Building improvements can require a lot of Junk (tools) and I personally find replacing them can lead to betrayers easily spending unnecessary junk on improvements because they seem powerful. Who's going to argue against having a greenhouse? But in reality, not having those tools later can really sabotage the crises.

I like this element to a degree, but having an endless disposal for tool cards feels too much to me. Sure, you can use your junk to reroll dice, but there will be a point where people are going to begin to look sideways at you if you're just re-rolling to reroll... much less likely if you're "helping" improve the colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.