John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the "Clover Meadow" card. what the heck is this card for (seriously)(smile)?

now granted, we haven't even played yet...but is this card just to take up space (and count against your hand max)? are you allowed to toss it? or are there other items/spells/etc that we will come across while playing that might make use of this card?

thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is OP. What could be worth more than luck? It's been discussed before here:

Clover Meadow Too Powerful
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The card is OP. What could be worth more than luck? It's been discussed before here:

Clover Meadow Too Powerful

- sorry, but no idea what "card is OP" means?

also...when setting up the game are the guild/ability cards placed face-up or down? meaning if you go there to train, can you look through the deck and select the card you want...or do you simply have to draw blind and see what's avail? (the rules only say to place them on the guilds, and then to train you pay the cost...nothing about "card selection")

(and that link really didn't deal with the card at all; no explanation of its use, etc...just a long rant from someone who didn't play/setup correctly to start with, and then wasn't a big fan of the game anyhow)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OP means overpowered. The Clover Meadow is the best thing you can draw, because it makes you luckier at everything else in the game.

If you have more items than you can carry (7), you have to discard item(s) of your choice down to the limit. Sure, you could discard the Clover Meadow. But then you would have terrible luck afterward!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
also...when setting up the game are the guild/ability cards placed face-up or down? meaning if you go there to train, can you look through the deck and select the card you want...or do you simply have to draw blind and see what's avail? (the rules only say to place them on the guilds, and then to train you pay the cost...nothing about "card selection")


The rules I have do say to place the ability cards face up. The available cards in the guilds are always face up.

Initial Situation
1) In every guild, turn up the first Ability card.

Fortress, Thieves' Guild, Forest Camp, Magic Tower, Monastery, Free Training, Training Offer
These cards describe in which guild to place an Ability card. A player draws a card from the appropriate deck and places it face-up in the appropriate guild space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
John_VW wrote:
also...when setting up the game are the guild/ability cards placed face-up or down? meaning if you go there to train, can you look through the deck and select the card you want...or do you simply have to draw blind and see what's avail? (the rules only say to place them on the guilds, and then to train you pay the cost...nothing about "card selection")


The rules I have do say to place the ability cards face up. The available cards in the guilds are always face up.

Initial Situation
1) In every guild, turn up the first Ability card.

Fortress, Thieves' Guild, Forest Camp, Magic Tower, Monastery, Free Training, Training Offer
These cards describe in which guild to place an Ability card. A player draws a card from the appropriate deck and places it face-up in the appropriate guild space.
so, only 1 card face up...and that's the only card avail to purchase/train? (until it's taken and a new card flipped, or you get instructions to have 2 flipped/avail)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Each Guild starts with 1 Ability card available. More will be added during play, as you turn up Chance cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, there's a whole section of the rulebook about the Clover Meadow:

Clover Meadow
• This is arguably the best card in the game. It does not change the rules, but you will start rolling better numbers and drawing better cards. Don’t ask why and just believe that it works.
• Although you can now count on better luck, do not blindly take risks. It is only a four-leaf clover with a little bit of luck...
• If you don’t win because of this card, do not be sad. Perhaps it will bring you good luck in real life.
 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hoche
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that if you have the expansions games and you were playing the Troll character, you cannot pick up the clover card. Which means the troll cannot pick up a map from the same space as the clover card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, here is another Clover Meadow related thread.

Best joke
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.