Subject: Holographic projector in entrance to secret room rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game a player put an holographic projector in the second floor entrance to the secret room while two players were inside the secret room. Now one of those players play "advance", returning to the second floor entrance. Does "continuing in the same direction" means he advances again, or is he "unable to do so" (as going from the secret room to the entrance is not really a "direction") and he stays in the entrance room? We played it the second way.

Unrelated question - is -1 the minimum alarm rate? 8 is explicitly said to be the maximum but I didn't see anything about -1. Can "secretaries" be used to lower the rate from 0 to -1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
CBpegasus wrote:
In a recent game a player put an holographic projector in the second floor entrance to the secret room while two players were inside the secret room. Now one of those players play "advance", returning to the second floor entrance. Does "continuing in the same direction" means he advances again, or is he "unable to do so" (as going from the secret room to the entrance is not really a "direction") and he stays in the entrance room? We played it the second way.

Unrelated question - is -1 the minimum alarm rate? 8 is explicitly said to be the maximum but I didn't see anything about -1. Can "secretaries" be used to lower the rate from 0 to -1?

I can only tell you how I would rule for the prototype; I can't give you an official answer (and I don't imagine someone else will).

When moving from the basement to a room with the oil slick, I would say, you do keep moving; if move in got you there from the basement, you move in again, if move out got you there, you move out again.

And the alarm rate can't go below 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the published version, the alarm dial can go to -1, and yes that's the minimum. If you're asking if Secretaries can lower the alarm dial from 0 to -1 even though that's only one step instead of the two steps you're instructed to lower it, the answer is yes it can. Likewise, Secretaries can raise the alarm dial from 7 to 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ruled it:

If advancing out of secret room into projector move to the next room UP.

If retreating out of secret room into projector move to the next room DOWN.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I didn't expect to get an answer from Donald himself
For me that's about as official as it goes, although it seems like there might have been some changes between his final version and the official one. I thought before (and still think so) that the -1 alarm was added for the "sensitive or faulty alarm" variant. But I guess if it's there you should be able to go there even if you don't start with a "faulty alarm".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.