Subject: Equiping items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Does it make sense thematically that after finding an item to equip, you can just equip it on someone else who is not at the same location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Plur42 wrote:
Does it make sense thematically that after finding an item to equip, you can just equip it on someone else who is not at the same location?

No, but keeping track of who actually found what would involve a bunch of fiddly bullshit so I think it's better this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The unofficial explanation is that each game round represents a week of time. So there is time for your characters to deliver items to others and return to their locations.

Personally, I've always felt that the cards represent information. You know where some guns or food or fuel are, but they are hidden or stashed away somewhere. Only once they are equipped or used do you reveal what you've found and where. This also fits with the idea that game rounds take up a certain amount of time in the game world.

The official answer is it doesn't really make thematic sense but having to micromanage separate hands for every character you control would be the mechanism imaginable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Flame112 wrote:
Plur42 wrote:

No, but keeping track of who actually found what would involve a bunch of fiddly bullshit so I think it's better this way.

While I agree with that, the person who found the weapon, could hold the weapon in their hand, wait until they are in a place with another character and then hand off the weapon instead of it teleporting to another location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that would be very easy to forget I think if you aren't immediately bringing characters together. Also would technically mean you couldn't/shouldn't be handing items to other players unless you share locations with the character who needs the item.

You could certainly try it out, see how it works. The thing I love most about DoW is how they seem to encourage people to make their own game experience and customize it to their liking. Personally, I just don't feel it is an issue at all. To me the thematic experience is more player vs player around the table and how you manipulate and play the group in order to accomplish what you want and win while only doing the bare minimum to help yourself. The group of survivors you control is really just the representation of the players and your "group" is trying to play the other groups. How items get from one place to another is irrelevant in my mind. Not everything needs a precise and perfect thematic reason for being. I'd rather "break theme" than deal with fiddly and unmanageable mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plur42 wrote:
Flame112 wrote:
Plur42 wrote:

While I agree with that, the person who found the weapon, could hold the weapon in their hand, wait until they are in a place with another character and then hand off the weapon instead of it teleporting to another location.

But what if you have one survivor at the Police Station, one at the Library, and one at the Gas Station, and they have each found one item? You, the player, are holding them all in your hand. After the survivors all start moving around again in future turns, are you still going to remember who picked up what? The fiddliness that Graham is talking about would be if you tried to keep the items tucked underneath each survivor face down or something like that -- like giving each of the survivors a separate "hand". Yuck.

Anyway, I know if feels like teleporting when one survivor picks something up in the Gas Station and then the player equips it to a different survivor in the Colony, but it's not really teleporting. As others have said, there's a lot of time passing from turn to turn and the survivors are actually moving around more than is represented on the board. In fact, they aren't the only people there -- there are probably a bunch of minor characters milling around during that "week" of time, carrying things back and forth.

"Walking Dead" would probably be pretty boring if we saw every moment of every character's lives, 24/7. One survivor finding a Grenade Launcher at the Police Station is just one highlight of that week's "episode". At some point off screen, she stashes it in her bunk, then meets up with the disgruntled postal worker for a cup of coffee and hands it off to him. While they chat about the weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.