Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hidden dungeon tiles version (?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the modular dungeon tiles in this game, reminds me of Betryal which is another game I absolutely enjoy playing. I thought it was odd that the dungeon tile is always revealed though. Kind of takes away the excitement of going into a new room.

I already plan on house-ruling it so the dungeon tiles are hidden until a player moves into it (just like in Betrayal). Anyone know if this is possible?

I know that the Trap rooms are a big reason why the dungoen tiles are always revealed, but why can't we just have them all hidden, and when a trap room is revealed, you place it down normally and just stop the character from going in there? To me, it doesn't seem it's worth revealing the tiles indefinately just because of the Trap room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it this way, the doorways are open, you can see into the next room before you enter it, so it makes sense that you could see what was in there before charging in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, is there a reason why it must always be visible what the next tile will be ?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
I really like the modular dungeon tiles in this game, reminds me of Betryal which is another game I absolutely enjoy playing. I thought it was odd that the dungeon tile is always revealed though. Kind of takes away the excitement of going into a new room.

I already plan on house-ruling it so the dungeon tiles are hidden until a player moves into it (just like in Betrayal). Anyone know if this is possible?

I know that the Trap rooms are a big reason why the dungoen tiles are always revealed, but why can't we just have them all hidden, and when a trap room is revealed, you place it down normally and just stop the character from going in there? To me, it doesn't seem it's worth revealing the tiles indefinately just because of the Trap room.

I have tried both. Honestly, the revealed way, though it seems less fun, is far better. As this is a dice game, movement even at times can be less than you want, knowing the next tile is key. Not knowing does lead to problems with players winning just based off of rolls, not choices. There is still some of that in the revealed way, but I find not as much. Let some other jack wagon explore while I kill things is the feeling I have with the revealed tiles and it's good.

That being said, the curse and trap tiles are good too. You know, it's about player experience to me. I would HATE if the first tile I flipped over was a curse... then a trap... all the while the one tile I get below them is something dumb? Meh.

The current method at least lets me put a tile I want down before getting blasted with traps and curses. PLUS, the rule of placing tiles is nice if I can place the tile I want, strategically blocking any adjacent traps, letting me trigger it near others instead.

As you can see, there are MANY reasons Not to change the rule. However, if you desire, try both. I sure did just to make sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes away some tatical choices but gives more surprise.

I recomend you to play the game with the original rules before trying this(you might even like it better), but it is easy to implement this change if you want: treat the trap rooms as regular rooms in terms of movement but dealing damage only on the players in the room instead of adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:

Isn't that one of the few pieces of knowledge allowing for tactical choices in this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, but you have some more: having the free boots you can walk to a new room before and rolling and re-rolling after, alrealdy knowing with wich monster and trap you re dealing with; you can have information already open at the table too, with rooms and monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:

I recomend you to play the game with the original rules before trying this(you might even like it better), but it is easy to implement this change if you want: treat the trap rooms as regular rooms in terms of movement but dealing damage only on the players in the room instead of adjacent.

I like this idea a lot.

In my mind, I've already house-ruled that all the tiles will be hidden.

I will just treat the trap rooms the same as a regular room, except that walking into one or leaving one causes 1 point of a damage. Players may still opt to go through a Trap Room... if taking the damage is worth it (so they dont' have to go around it). To disable a Trap Room, you have to be inside it to do so. So the person who originally flips the Trap Room will be inside it, taking 1 point of damage, but then disable it from there. They could also just opt to leave it there in hopes that it inconveniences everyone else just to be spiteful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it can be played that if 2 Move points are spent to enter a room use the face up tile. If only use 1 Move point, then draw random tile from bottom of pile. This way it represents scouting and looking vs just running in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
having played a few games with "hidden" tiles I had the same impression as well. But after playing the game, the "knowing" what is coming give you more tactics.
And also remove some XP by poor chance. e.g. if the RUNE TILE is visible players might try to get that exploration for the 3 XP, of course the person that is next has a better chances of being able to do so, but if it was hidden then it would always be a poor luck 3XP.

I haven't play the game enough, but I think there is no many ways to prevent players from doing stuff to gain XP for disarming traps or exploring. I`m trying to come with some mechanics that mess up with that.. it would be cool to see players fighting to be the one that disarm a trap or explore a rune tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan brutus
Denmark
flag msg tools
Re: Hidden dungeon tiles version
Okey,.. Received the game a week ago and I am a bit worried about the low difficulty level.
I have not played the game yet,.. But,.. why not just mix the tile stack 50/50 face up/face down. Face up rooms do not give experience or only half, while the face down cards will give full xp according to the dots on the tile?

Or,.. a hero has to delay him/her-self after entering and clearing a room in order to collect xp?

Or,.. in a alliance,.. at least two heroes must be in the room in order to get the xp, which cannot be divided between the two. Should add some festive dissagreements during play.

Or,.. heroes has to pay coins in order to get xp?

Or,.. my favourite,.. use the treasures tokens from Arcadia Quest. When unlocking the xp from a room, flip one treasure token face up. Chests with gold can be converted to xp,.. while various potions add a die for next confrontation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.