Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am helping out in my daughter's kindergarten class for their fall party and will be running a game for the kids. Kids will be cycling through in groups of 5 and I have 15 minutes to explain and play a game with the kids.

Do you have any good suggestions for games that work well for 5 children (ages 5 & 6) that can be taught and played in 15 minutes? My first thought was Rhino Hero but it isn't rated that well for 5 players.

I appreciate your ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kindergarten classes will have a WIDE range of boardgame familiarity and understanding among the kids. Some kids will probably have never played any board game more complicated than candyland (if they've even played a boardgame at all!).

I would go real simple ... like a numbers bingo (or shapes, or colors)

https://www.amazon.com/Numbers-Bingo-Players-Pint-Size-Schol...

If you are feeling a little more adventurous, maybe something like Disney's Eye Found It. Great little cooperative game that is easy to understand and its coop, not competitive.

https://www.amazon.com/World-Disney-Found-Board-Game/dp/B00B...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring it!, which can be made even easier by removing certain cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at two events with kids this small - once it was actually a table of 4 year olds (the idea was just for them kinda engage the game and focus on what they're doing. didn't matter who won). With 6 year olds more was possible.

1 - stacking/dexterity games
- Rhino Hero is perfectly fine. You might need to help kids stand on chairs to be able to place some cards. (which is fun).
- you can try Animal upon Animal, but while it's cuter and more toy-like, it can be a bit more challenging than Rhino Hero. (oh and ooops, just for 4 players)
- Pitchcar.

2. SPEED GAMES. seriously, they work every time.
- Spot it!/Dobble is neat, but maybe you'd want something even simpler (I haven't tried the versions made specifically for younger kids)
- whatever you can find for kids (simpler than standard speed game fare) - we work with a local FLGS that is connected to Gigamic, so we had their games. Splash Attack (box says 4, but playable with 5) and Tutti Frutti.

3. Kids games are great, but most of those I've played have a 4 player maximum. (I recommend checking games from Haba and Drei Magier Spiele)

4. Co-ops. Very very simple ones. (an adult will moderate the game)
We had these:
Hoot Owl Hoot! (German edition has neat plastic owls. While the box says 4 player max. you could play with 5)
Playa Playa (we got this from a local distributor more or less randomly) - simpler than Hoot Owl Hoot, which makes it perfect for younger kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:

2. SPEED GAMES. seriously, they work every time.
- Spot it!/Dobble is neat, but maybe you'd want something even simpler (I haven't tried the versions made specifically for younger kids)
- whatever you can find for kids (simpler than standard speed game fare) - we work with a local FLGS that is connected to Gigamic, so we had their games. Splash Attack (box says 4, but playable with 5) and Tutti Frutti.

My brother in law is a Grade one teacher and he blew through a classroom budget supplement on getting multiple spot it themes! So many great things for kids to work with there! Spot it! gets disney obsessed kids, Spot it! for hockey lovers, and more letters shapes animals! and there are less competitive ways to play too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I think I may go with Spot it! for the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.