Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
If both of my two remaining pictures for my team contain two objects each, would two:2 be a valid clue? It seems like it should be because it's 'about the picture,' but it seems like play could potentially devolve if these sorts of clues are allowed. I think this is why I prefer words than pictures... especially, when you consider shapes and such as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems totally valid to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is not allowed. You should be describing the things in the picture, not the picture itself. You can't say 'biggest' for the two biggest pictures for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
But the picture depicts two things. Like if it were two guys at podiums in a debate, would two not be a valid clue? Or a couple holding hands? Or a pair of dice?

From there, what if it were a single person and a single die? The picture on the card is of two things. How does "two" not work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just giving you my opinion.

A pair of dice is indeed a pair, because that is the phrase.
A couple holding hands is also a pair.

But if the picture has 'scissors' and 'rock' and you give the clue 'two', you are simply saying the number of things in the picture, and not actually describing the picture itself.

If you are not convinced by this, I can ask CGE for official clarification, but I'd be surprised if it was allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your reasoning Paul, but I would like clarification if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also agree that 2 is not a valid clue in the same way the rule book says you can't give out C:2 as a valid clue because you have 2 cards that have objects on it that start with the letter C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
I would also agree that 2 is not a valid clue in the same way the rule book says you can't give out C:2 as a valid clue because you have 2 cards that have objects on it that start with the letter C.

I found it curious that they left this rule in the game. It is too vague to be a useful clue. Is that Kangaroo/Stegosaurus a K or an S? Or is it a Dinosaur? or a Marsupial? What letter would you use for Sydney Opera House Armadillo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
kryyst wrote:

I found it curious that they left this rule in the game. It is too vague to be a useful clue. Is that Kangaroo/Stegosaurus a K or an S? Or is it a Dinosaur? or a Marsupial? What letter would you use for Sydney Opera House Armadillo?

Spork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To update this, I e-mailed Paul Grogan:

"I asked CGE again.

Opinions vary. Some say "Just ask the other Spymaster".
Others say that it is illegal, just as if you say "darkest" because you mean the picture with most black. The clue shouldn't be about the way the pictures are shown. (Although since most of the pictures depict combination of two objects, I wonder how this clue could help...)

I'd still side on the fact that it is not allowed, but I can see how people might want to allow it. It's totally up to you really."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.