Onitama» Forums » General

Subject: Obnoxious Smell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Know may sound strange, but the obnoxious strong smell of this game puts me off playing it which is a shame. The pawns and the player mat both smell. Have seen nobody else mention it. Is just awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup I noticed it, and even let it air out for a few days, but that didn't help. Pretty much my feeling too. I might try letting it sit out for longer and see what that does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
Know may sound strange, but the obnoxious strong smell of this game puts me off playing it which is a shame. The pawns and the player mat both smell. Have seen nobody else mention it. Is just awful.

I have read complaints about that on BGG before. Not everyone seems to have it or smell it. I personally am sensitive to scents, so this is a bif turn-off for me in some of my games. It gets a bit better if you air the components (for weeks that is). I have some card games with a strong smell that I "aired" for month. I just didn't close the lid when I put them back in the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have a "sensitive" nose but strangly i do not share you experience with this game nor have any of the folks (perhaps ten) with whom I've played. It is really a shame that this has been your experience of a truly fine elegant little abstract game. Fortunately most folks do not seem to share your noses experience at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
DragonFly90 wrote:

The smell I get from Onitama is just "new mousepad smell", which shouldn't be surprising since the play board is mousepad material. Leave the play mat out in the air for awhile and that smell will go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
vitus979 wrote:
The smell I get from Onitama is just "new mousepad smell", which shouldn't be surprising since the play board is mousepad material. Leave the play mat out in the air for awhile and that smell will go away.

Something to add to my own post. If the smell is in the box or the pieces, take everything out of the box and leave it all out in the open for a time, including leaving the box open. That vulcanized rubber smell will fade, but like a new mousepad it might take awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rinaldo De Lucca
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The smell is disappearing now, after letting everything on the open for days. By the way, there is no 'Made in...' information available on the box or manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.