Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always curious in variants for my favourite games, and I wondered if there was not something to give this game more historical punch.

I emailed Ward a similar question but have not heard back.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There had been a more historical variant posted on the old Phalanx site, but I can't locate an electronic copy of it offhand. I may have a printed copy buried somewhere that I can try to locate, time permitting.

Edit: I found the optional rules in the Files section: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/10202/optional-rules-... . I believe these were the ones that were generated for additional historical accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Steve (Ward). If you do come across anything in your saved material, I would be grateful to have it.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan kirk
United States
Federal Way
WA
flag msg tools
mbmb
For "more historical punch" i am collecting historical notes to be read at appropriate points in game play.

e.g.
WHY THE HABSBURGS ARE IN THIS GAME:

William "the Rich", Duke of Cleves
German Name:Johann Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg
1516 - 1592

Born in Dusseldorf, only son to
John III "the Pacific" Duke of Julich-Cleves-Berg and Maria Duchess of Julich-Berg.

His father was influenced by Erasmus and followed a moderate path within the Reformation. He sided with the Schmalkaldic League and opposed Emperor Charles V. After his father's death, he became Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg. From 1539 to 1543, William held the Duchy of Guilders.

Emperor Charles V. claimed this duchy for himself as the dukes had sold their right of heritage, and William tried to hold on to it. He made a treaty with the King of France and married Jeanne d'Albret, and with this backup dared to challenge the Emperor.

The Duke's ongoing dispute over Gelderland with Emperor Charles V made them suitable allies for the Tudor King, Henry VIII.

All too soon he learned that the French did not lift a finger to help him, and he was overwhelmed and had to surrender. In accordance with the Treaty of Venlo (1543) that was the result of this war, Guelders and the County of Zutphen were transferred to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, combining them with the Habsburg Netherlands.

In 1545 there was an annulment of the marriage with Jeanne d'Albret and William married Mary of Habsburg a niece to Karl V, a close connection to the house of Habsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Duchy of Guilders

Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.