Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: recommendation needed for introductory strategy wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really have never played anything on this sort of scale, i've been resisting it in favour of tactical games.

So, where to start? Preferably 2 player, or best with 2 player. Solo is good too. Buckets of theme, chrome, flavour text on cards etc. :)

I realise these can be complex games, but how would you introduce the genre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
What historical period interests you the most ?

I would start with that question first and foremost.

Second question would be: what level of complexity (low, medium, high) are you looking for ?

EDIT: added the complexity question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
WW II: you can get Hitler's War for 12$ on the BGG marketplace.

This is a low complexity game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SJack wrote:
I really have never played anything on this sort of scale, i've been resisting it in favour of tactical games.

So, where to start? Preferably 2 player, or best with 2 player. Solo is good too. Buckets of theme, chrome, flavour text on cards etc.

I realise these can be complex games, but how would you introduce the genre?

If you're into Napoleonics, then have a look at Napoleon at Waterloo. It's a great hex & counter intro game. The best part is that it's Print and Play *and* it's free.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3573/napoleon-waterloo

Coincidentally, I recently uploaded a file to BGG which contains all of the rules, the maps and counters in one PDF.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137762/napoleon-waterloo-...

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would introduce it with a block game, but I would introduce all wargames with a block game because I love them.

Hammer of the scots is my favorite which happens to be a strategic game. Julius caesar is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
At least one person started playing wargames with A World at War, but that would not be considered to be an introductory wargame ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably slightly above intro level but I quite like No Retreat! The Russian Front. Pretty basic hex and counter mechanisms with a little chrome and clever card play layered over it. The reprint is coming out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided [originally GDW, but there is a more colorful modern version that came out about ten years ago] is a terrific little gateway game. It covers the whole American Civil War campaign in a very abstract but clever way. Recruiting and limited marches often offer unexpected challenges, but you can be playing it within 20 minutes of opening the box.

If you need cards and flavor, maybe For the People [GMT). There is a lot of color here, but the rulebook might be a bit too thick for an introductory effort. I think the PRETTIEST ACW game I have with the most chrome is Rebel Raiders on the High Seas (GMT), but it would be a little much for an introductory experience.

The Warriors of God (MMP) 100 Years War scenario has lots of flavor (no cards), but you can't claim that there isn't chrome when you put captured nobles into the dungeon. And once you've lost 5/7 leaders in one turn on those mortality rolls, you'll never forget this game. It's solid!

If you want a slightly more complex strategic level game, Europe Engulfed (GMT) has supply, amphibious assault, air support, and weather rules that provide very interesting challenges.

I second the motion on Hammer of the Scots (Columbia). And, in spite of possible balance problems, I think Crusader Rex (Columbia) could provide a nice strategic introduction. In both of these, you have cards (but not a lot of text, much less flavor text) that really impact your play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rich
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Academy Games' "1775:Rebellion" is much less complex and likely more fun than some of those choices. But the "Napoleon at War" series and "Napoleon's Last Battles" quad as well as "A House Divided" are good too. GMT'/ "Saratoga" and others in their AmRev series are excellent too.

For WWII, "Memoir '44"(for really simple) or for low to moderate complexity games, "The Russian Campaign," "Deluxe Bitter Woods," the old AH "Battle of the Bulge '81," "Barbarossa to Berlin," and "Onslaught" are all good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 1775: Rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
SJack wrote:
Buckets of theme, chrome, flavour text on cards etc.

Well, without restriction to era, it becomes a random die toss,
as there are a lot out there. But, with these words, this randomizer
would suggest Amateurs to Arms!.

Between the appearance and the elements you mention, it jumped to mind.

Ask on a different day though, and you'd get a different answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mindtech2 wrote:
If you're into Napoleonics, then have a look at Napoleon at Waterloo. It's a great hex & counter intro game. The best part is that it's Print and Play *and* it's free.

Not a strategic game, zero chrome.... probably not what the OP is looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Naopleonic: Age of Napoleon
American Rev: Washington's War
Civil War: A House Divided
Vietnam: Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975
Ancient: Hands in the Sea or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
War of 1812: Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812
WW1: The First World War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For another great low complexity game from a tactical side, I'd recommend the Tank on Tank East and West Front games. There are about 4 1/2 pages of rules, combat is very simple and you can solo it to learn and teach another person in a few minutes.

Scenarios run from 20-45 minutes with most being in the 20-30 minute range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Paths of Glory is what you are looking for. Get the later edition with the mounted map and thicker cards and counters. It seems like a beast due to all the many exceptions and special cases in the rules, but it's worth the trouble. There's a reason why it is the #3 ranked wargame on BGG. And read the most recent session report by a player who just tried this game for the first time:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1648026/newbie-game-exp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
TedW wrote:

Make sure you play this game with the Variants offered on BGG concerning the "Surrender Points", otherwise frustration will be your lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moezilla wrote:
For another great low complexity game from a tactical side, I'd recommend the Tank on Tank East and West Front games. There are about 4 1/2 pages of rules, combat is very simple and you can solo it to learn and teach another person in a few minutes.

There was another thread where folks were discussing the unfortunate fact that people don't read the original post and instead just post their favorite games.

Of course, now that I am conscious of that fact, I see just how often that happens. Greeeaaat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
TedW wrote:

There was another thread where folks were discussing the unfortunate fact that people don't read the original post and instead just post their favorite games.

Of course, now that I am conscious of that fact, I see just how often that happens. Greeeaaat.

They didn't read the subject line either? "strategy wargame"

I have no idea the reason but this always happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Russian Campaign

There is simply no better game to introduce you to the general terms of hex based wargaming.

6 pages of rules, a LOT of historical flow of the 3 Army groups attacking the Russians towards Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad.

Zones of control, Blitzkrieg, mechanised movement, air support, supply, railroads conversion, partisans, worker productions, invasion possibilities, variable shorter scenarios, clear defined rules and a wide playable map that sits perfectly on a normal table.

It was for years, the most played traditional wargame.

In 2017 GMT along with ConsimPress will relaunch a new Designer's Edition as a tribute to this renewed Classic. In a mere 18 days on the GMT pre order P-500 list it sky rocketed to 600 pre orders already. Surely a sign of how important this game really is in the eye of the beholder.

And remember, all this with 6 pages of basic rules melted into a very highly competitive package for duo or two sided solo play.

Not one other game could even come close on the scale "ease of play - excitement level - introduction of hex based historical wargame mechanics".

It has been too long since new wargamers could grab games like this really. I am glad ConsimPress realised the need for such renewed classics as they prepare already its sister game The African Campaign and hopefully another one in that family with the same mechanics, Fortress Europa. All John Edwards games.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
I float through life unharmed, depressed but fulfilled
mbmbmbmbmb
Moezilla wrote:

+1

That's where I started, and it was rather a good start I think ^^ The game was easily playable solo but I had the occasion to play it sometimes at work with some people mildly interested that ended up liking the game for its simplicity and good tactics.

(and as a matter of fact, I have the West version for trade laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been playing Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan with a first time wargamer and it's gone down very well.

Not much 'chrome' but lots of flavour. Definitely best with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Künzle
Germany
Rotenburg Wümme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 1775:Rebellion and Hannibal: Rome vs.Carthage. As both games use cards they are not great for soloing them.

So if the solo-experience is more important to you I'd recommend the COIN-Series, namely A Distant Plain, Cuba Libre or Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar (those are the one in print) to you. 4 Player, but they have excellent Bots for each side so the games are very flexible regarding player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoldFast: Russia 1941-1942 and HoldFast: North Africa 1941-1942 are both nice quick-playing WW2 block games. There's also HoldFast: Korea 1950-1951 for more modern conflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perez
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
The Russian Campaign

There is simply no better game to introduce you to the general terms of hex based wargaming.

6 pages of rules, a LOT of historical flow of the 3 Army groups attacking the Russians towards Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad.

Zones of control, Blitzkrieg, mechanised movement, air support, supply, railroads conversion, partisans, worker productions, invasion possibilities, variable shorter scenarios, clear defined rules and a wide playable map that sits perfectly on a normal table.

It was for years, the most played traditional wargame.

In 2017 GMT along with ConsimPress will relaunch a new Designer's Edition as a tribute to this renewed Classic. In a mere 18 days on the GMT pre order P-500 list it sky rocketed to 600 pre orders already. Surely a sign of how important this game really is in the eye of the beholder.

And remember, all this with 6 pages of basic rules melted into a very highly competitive package for duo or two sided solo play.

Not one other game could even come close on the scale "ease of play - excitement level - introduction of hex based historical wargame mechanics".

It has been too long since new wargamers could grab games like this really. I am glad ConsimPress realised the need for such renewed classics as they prepare already its sister game The African Campaign and hopefully another one in that family with the same mechanics, Fortress Europa. All John Edwards games.

Have fun.

Yep - +1 meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy. I didn't expect this to happen. Perhaps I was too unspecific. I'm not looking for a tactical wargame, nor an operational wargame, I'm looking for an strategic one. [edit] Oh and in print :D

Here are some examples: (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Churchill
1989: Dawn of Freedom
Twilight Struggle
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?
Virgin Queen

Here is what I think they look like:

These are all complex games, and I'm looking for an introductory strategy game (not Risk or variants thereof) to get me going in the genre. Period choice unimportant for now, as long as there's chrome, flavour and theme :p

For good measure, here's my list of wargames that i own, play and love.
http://tinyurl.com/n9aeu3w (links back to BGG - hope it's not against the rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.