BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: New to board games, top 3 retailers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hello,

Just want to know which are the top 3 retailers to check before anyone else?

Thank you !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Potter
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do almost all my shopping online:

Cool Stuff Inc. - Great pricing, very good selection, great interface.
Miniature Market - Even better pricing, not as good an interface, but they will hold orders.
Board Game Bliss - Great for Imports, prices are sometimes lower than US stores even with shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
just depends what you want.

amazon, ebay, coolstuffinc, miniaturemarket, scificity, cardhaus, funagain, boardgamegeek, kickstarter.

that's mainly where I look for stuff.

subscribe to the hot deals forum on boardgamegeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amazon and coolstuffinc.com in no particular order and then a distant third FLGS (friendly local game store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
In some order depending on your location, shipping preferences, and tendency to make large ($100+) orders:
www.miniaturemarket.com
www.coolstuffinc.com
www.amazon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig vivian
United States
Monmouth
Illinois
flag msg tools
Gamesurplus
Miniature Market
Cardhaus

Amazon at times for a single game if you have prime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find this useful:
boardgameprices.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each has advantages.

Cardhaus gives a 5% discount for preorders. Great prices.

Amazon has easier free shipping, and ignores MAP (minimum pricing) often. Slightly higher prices, but still good.

Cool Stuff is the exclusive online distributor of some games. Great prices.

Board Game Bliss has hard to find imports. Canadian dollar conversion also makes for nice prices. And it's a way around minimum prices (different rules in Canada, plus currency conversion), so often winds up cheaper than CSI and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a good start above but, if you're so inclined, take a gander at this GL: The Good, the Bad, and the OLGS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
You may find this useful:
boardgameprices.com

This is the first place to start

I use coolstuffinc, gamesurplus and on occasion funagain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloum wrote:
Hello,

Thank you !!

If you're just getting started, you might want to buy used on BGG Marketplace - probably the best bang for your buck. Depends on the part of the world you are in, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Potter
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Gloum wrote:
Hello,

Thank you !!

If you're just getting started, you might want to buy used on BGG Marketplace - probably the best bang for your buck. Depends on the part of the world you are in, though.

Gonna have to disagree here. The shipping cost related to BGG Marketplace generally isn't worth it unless you're buying a hard-to-find game. Plus, most users charge retail prices+ for used games; might as well buy new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth mentioning that Miniature Market's standard shipping is $5.99, compared to around $15.99 at Cardhaus.

That said, I check Miniature Market, Cool Stuff Inc., and Cardhaus for daily deals. If I'm looking for something specific I usually check these and Amazon before venturing elsewhere.

Cool Stuff Inc also has weekly themed sales, and Miniature Market has quarterly clearance sales. They're supposed to be having a big one later this month.

miniaturemarket wrote:
Our next sale is slated for October 19th. I am planning to make it one of the largest sales we've ever run.

I will post more data on this thread as is becomes available. Next week we are starting the process of identifying items to include.

Steve @ Miniature Market

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dpotter2113 wrote:
Gonna have to disagree here. The shipping cost related to BGG Marketplace generally isn't worth it unless you're buying a hard-to-find game. Plus, most users charge retail prices+ for used games; might as well buy new.

+1. The marketplace is really where I only go if I'm looking for hard to find stuff. Auctions here tend to be very hit or miss in terms of deals, but you can get lucky once in a while. Far too many offer BIN prices at near retail cost and then you have to factor in shipping. Might as well just use Amazon with Prime at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna chime in here and say my preferred retailer is Miniature Market by far. It has free shipping at $100 and will hold games for you easily until you reach the threshold. Prices are better than Amazon and comparable to Coolstuff.

Cardhaus is good if you are looking for preorders and spend at least $125. Their prices are slightly below MM's.

I almost never use Coolstuff anymore. They do sometimes have items other retailers don't, however.

Amazon only when it's some special price drop or if you need it Prime shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tammy Golden
United States
Newark
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
Gonna chime in here and say my preferred retailer is Miniature Market by far. It has free shipping at $100 and will hold games for you easily until you reach the threshold. Prices are better than Amazon and comparable to Coolstuff.

Cardhaus is good if you are looking for preorders and spend at least $125. Their prices are slightly below MM's.

I almost never use Coolstuff anymore. They do sometimes have items other retailers don't, however.

Amazon only when it's some special price drop or if you need it Prime shipped.

+1 for Miniature Market. Their hold system is much better than CoolStuff, and their prices are always about the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldenGirl wrote:
Their hold system is much better than CoolStuff

The only difference is for daily deals. All of the other themed deals or ones based around specific games can be held just fine. Considering MM's daily deals start at midnight, I bought one nearly a year ago and the other two of interest where sold out by 1am when I was asleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.