Hide
13 Posts

Thornwatch» Forums » General

Subject: Can't make up my mind! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Big
msg tools
As soon as I saw the team behind this, I jumped early on the KS. However, the more the KS went on, the more it seemed like a poorly managed campaign thats out to grab as much money as it can. (What a joke, number of subscribers; really?)BUT, the mechanics sound interesting, and the impressions/reviews seem to be split by the middle!

Anyone else having a tough time with this one? Any recommendations? Print and Play is not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janbig wrote:
As soon as I saw the team behind this, I jumped early on the KS. However, the more the KS went on, the more it seemed like a poorly managed campaign thats out to grab as much money as it can. (What a joke, number of subscribers; really?)BUT, the mechanics sound interesting, and the impressions/reviews seem to be split by the middle!

Anyone else having a tough time with this one? Any recommendations? Print and Play is not an option.
Check the reviews of the print and play. There's some people who really like it, and some people who hated it.
Reading about the specifics of those experiences might help.

I have been interested in the concept ever since the PA crew started working on it.
I personally wasn't planning on backing it, my finances are not even close to affording it, but was thinking of trying the PnP, and the reviews have made me think it might not be worth my time.

Here's a negative review of the pnp:
Gave the Print & Play a Spin - Don't Bother
And here's a positive session report:
Session Report: Thornwatch with new gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Can't help you.

There are a LOT of forgettable Kickstarter games around...all of them received praise from SOMEBODY when they were starting up.

If a KS game doesn't have video reviews by reviewers who I am familiar with and judgement I trust recommending them, I tend to pass.
There are lots of good reviewers out there....Undead Viking, The Dice Tower, Rahdo, Drive Thru Reviews, Game Boy Geek, Drakkenstrike aka Man Vs. Meeple, Shut Up and Sit Down, Board Game Brawl to name some.
I may not agree with them all the time, but I have a good feel for their likes and dislikes and can generally gauge if I will like a game based on what they have to say about it.

Absent those kind of reviews, it's just a shot in the dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like full retail+ for not much in the way of extras. Hard pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to pull my pledge and throw that money at Minions. Assuming I get a copy !

The amount of game for the cost to get it to Australia just not there and I've had a bit of a more critical look at the play throughs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Janes
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
The PnP is useful to see if you like the rules and concepts. I think the game looks super interesting, but I just can't justify the cost of $90+ for a single game, even as beautiful as this is. I look forward to playing it at cons, but will not be picking one up for myself, at least not now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janbig wrote:

I don't think there's anything I can say that will convince you.

Having played the Print and Play, I loved it. The 4 people who played with me said they would play again.

My list of pros & cons

Pros
I found this easy to learn and teach
Role playing elements via trait cards
Easy setup time. Just grab a deck and get going
Beautiful art

Cons
Pricey $93 (full game, expansion and shipping) is high
Requires luck - bad dice rolls or an unlucky momentum setup can determine the outcome instead of the tactics and strategy of the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Since when was luck a con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

In the context I provided, I think it is a negative. In certain cases, luck is everything despite a good strategy or good cards at the ready.

Good or bad luck should swing the odds towards an outcome, but not entirely one way or another. In the intro scenario I played, I could have easily killed almost every villager because of the way the momentum track was set up. That was the first round and the players would have had absolutely no way to react to that. That's a little unbalanced towards too much based on luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tthorn23 wrote:
logopolys wrote:

In the context I provided, I think it is a negative. In certain cases, luck is everything despite a good strategy or good cards at the ready.

Good or bad luck should swing the odds towards an outcome, but not entirely one way or another.

If good strategy always mitigates luck, then what's the point of luck in a game at all? I like a game that I can play perfectly and still have a chance of failure.

Also, wouldn't good cards be an outcome of luck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
janbig wrote:
it seemed like a poorly managed campaign thats out to grab as much money as it can.

ding ding ding we have a winner

the game looks awful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

the game looks awful

Really? I assume you mean the gameplay, because while art is subjective I would have thought the artwork is one of it's strongest points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
tthorn23 wrote:
logopolys wrote:

Good or bad luck should swing the odds towards an outcome, but not entirely one way or another.

If good strategy always mitigates luck, then what's the point of luck in a game at all? I like a game that I can play perfectly and still have a chance of failure.

Also, wouldn't good cards be an outcome of luck?

I'm not saying that strategy should beat luck every time and I'm not saying that luck should beat strategy. There should be a balance. My criticism of the game is that luck beats strategy more than I would like. That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.