GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Im planning to play this game only 1 or two players.

1- I am wondering if I should get 2 coreset. We can create our deck in the game, maybe it will be stronger if I have more cards?

2- My first language is french but I am used of english version of games like this. Im not sure if I should get english or french version. I am afraid if the games dont sell well maybe they will skip the later french expansion.

à

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are at least 10 threads that deal with the question of how many sets to get. Going through even just a few of those threads should help resolve your first question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mb

this game WILL sell like hotcakes or bread buns if you are in Germany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
nightwishpower wrote:
Im planning to play this game only 1 or two players.

1- I am wondering if I should get 2 coreset. We can create our deck in the game, maybe it will be stronger if I have more cards?

2- My first language is french but I am used of english version of games like this. Im not sure if I should get english or french version. I am afraid if the games dont sell well maybe they will skip the later french expansion.

à

Get 1 set and just buy expansions later. Unless you and your friend really want same cards in your decks.(why would you?' )

Get English unless you want to be treated like second class citizen when it comes to release timing of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always go for the original version. Too often have localized versions stopped their support (not to mention all the translation errors and the loss of atmosphere). meeple

Regarding your first question: I'm also a little indifferent and I'll will get me one base box and then decide what to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
I always go for the original version. Too often have localized versions stopped their support (not to mention all the translation errors and the loss of atmosphere). meeple

+1, I've seen too many horrendous things over the years to even consider getting something that's not the original version of the game. Plus, if you want to relate to an international community of gamers, English is certainly a preferrable language for your games.

PzVIE wrote:
Regarding your first question: I'm also a little indifferent and I'll will get me one base box and then decide what to do with it.

For 2p you can go with 1 core, but you won't have so much variety in terms of deck customization. Getting 2 cores should allow much more freedom. This said, it heavily depends on you: how much do you want to invest in the game? Are you planning on getting all the expansion packs? If so, your card pool will quickly be growing so 1 could also be okaish. Plus, as others said, there's a gazillion of threads asking the same. It's easier for you to check those to have a very complete array of answers & better suggestions than restarting everything in a new thread.

Anyhoo, I'll be getting 2 core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stead of making another thread to add to the zillion threadsalready I'll just ask here.

Why should we need another set to play with 3 or more players? The game comes with 5 Investigators so you should have enough cards for 5 players right..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
Stead of making another thread to add to the zillion threadsalready I'll just ask here.

Why should we need another set to play with 3 or more players? The game comes with 5 Investigators so you should have enough cards for 5 players right..?
Wrong. Firstly, FFG say you need 2 core to play 3/4 (so 5 isn't on the radar and would, presumably, require 3 core). The reason is that there are some shared/common cards that characters must/may include in their decks, and there are not enough of these to support player counts higher than 2 in a core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense and doesn't. I gather that Necronomicon, Abandoned and Alone are 100% entirely exclusive to that investigator so you could I imagine use Wendy and Agnes and Skids and not be bothered. If there are 1 of every generic weakness and cards in the scenerios force you to get a weakness...

Okay maybe that's right (seems kinda dumb and money grubbing to do it that way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well each investigator has a minor class that is another characters main class in the core set. Wendy can use level 0-2 rogue cards as well as all the survivor cards, so her prebuilt deck probably borrows heavily from skids deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I see so on to other hugely concerning questions.

1: A solo player can play an entire campaign right? I'm not sure if I misread it it said you can play single adventures or a campaign but campaign is the default method.

2: I don't have a velvet little dice baggie for tokens... Do you think Arkham will come with one?

3: What the heck is a POD(google gave me a zillion suggestions can't decide which BGGers would mean)

4: Do you think the Gauru pack is like a Data Pack from Netrunner and I can just buy it or was it exclusive to the Arkham Night event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:

There are not enough cards in the core game to build 3 legal decks.
If you buy one core and expansion, you will have enough cards. Many ppl went down that road for LotR LCG and it was fine. You just need to wait for expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:
BardicSkaven wrote:

There are not enough cards in the core game to build 3 legal decks.
If you buy one core and expansion, you will have enough cards. Many ppl went down that road for LotR LCG and it was fine. You just need to wait for expansions
But the reasons for multiple cores in LotR were very different: it wasn't about numbers of players, but numbers of cards in a deck. People wanted the maximum of 3 legal cards in a deck and the core came with only 2 or even just 1 of some cards. Here it's not about maximising card count but about not having enough cards to build a "legal" deck in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
Ah I see so on to other hugely concerning questions.

1: A solo player can play an entire campaign right? I'm not sure if I misread it it said you can play single adventures or a campaign but campaign is the default method.

2: I don't have a velvet little dice baggie for tokens... Do you think Arkham will come with one?

3: What the heck is a POD(google gave me a zillion suggestions can't decide which BGGers would mean)

4: Do you think the Gauru pack is like a Data Pack from Netrunner and I can just buy it or was it exclusive to the Arkham Night event?

1. A solo player should be able to play the entire campaign according to the info out there.

2. It looks like there will not be a baggie for tokens as it is not listed as components on the FFG website.

3. POD means Print On Demand

4. The Gauru pack will be available sometime after Arkham Nights. I am not sure the timeline when that will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nade L
msg tools
From the page in the rule book we saw, it seems clear that there are 10 lvl 0 cards for each class in the core set, 1 copy of each. Each investigator 'suggested' deck is made up of all 10 cards from their primary class AND all ten cards from their secondary class, plus 10 neutral cards.

So, playing more than two players with one core is quite literally impossible, as you would have used 40 of the 50 class cards in 2 decks. Also, one core would limit 2 players in which two investigators they may pick, since you cannot have any overlap in class at all. Finally, the rules allow for 2 copies of each player card in a deck, so getting two cores would allow for 4 players easily, since you no longer have to worry about class overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just a matter of cards. Also the cardboard in the core sets for LCGs usually are insufficient for more than two players. This is not a new thing and has been true for just about every LCG.

If the idea of buying two core sets makes you angry then there are plenty of other games in this same setting for you to play (also produced by FFG). This is a hobby card game, and requires more of a time/money investment than a regular boxed game would. Just know before you jump into the game after 2 core sets there will be a monthly expansion for around $15 and every 7 months or so there will be a deluxe expansion instead for $30.

Though this is a co op and can be played at a leisurely pace so you can just pick up stuff when you want rather than feel compelled to purchase everything as it comes out.

To answer the OP question for 1 player probably 1 core set will be fine as the expansions will widen the card pool significantly as the game matures. For two players I think you'll probably start bumping into each other for cards if the investigators overlap too much with just 1 core set. Would take coordination, but it's not impossible. How annoying it will be depends on how many of these core set cards will be staples as the game matures. Still you could buy one and see how it goes, and if you like it and find that 1 core set was too restrictive then you can purchase your second. I also recommend buying the English (if you feel comfortable reading card text in English) releases so you don't have to worry about availability. With FFG being part of Asmodee their localization efforts should improve rather than degrade, but it's still a risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
It's not just a matter of cards. Also the cardboard in the core sets for LCGs usually are insufficient for more than two players. This is not a new thing and has been true for just about every LCG.

If the idea of buying two core sets makes you angry then there are plenty of other games in this same setting for you to play (also produced by FFG). This is a hobby card game, and requires more of a time/money investment than a regular boxed game would. Just know before you jump into the game after 2 core sets there will be a monthly expansion for around $15 and every 7 months or so there will be a deluxe expansion instead for $30.

Though this is a co op and can be played at a leisurely pace so you can just pick up stuff when you want rather than feel compelled to purchase everything as it comes out.

To answer the OP question for 1 player probably 1 core set will be fine as the expansions will widen the card pool significantly as the game matures. For two players I think you'll probably start bumping into each other for cards if the investigators overlap too much with just 1 core set. Would take coordination, but it's not impossible. How annoying it will be depends on how many of these core set cards will be staples as the game matures. Still you could buy one and see how it goes, and if you like it and find that 1 core set was too restrictive then you can purchase your second. I also recommend buying the English (if you feel comfortable reading card text in English) releases so you don't have to worry about availability. With FFG being part of Asmodee their localization efforts should improve rather than degrade, but it's still a risk.

I live in States so English only thing I can read Also I totally want this game I don't get to play a lot of games often so I'd be on Cloud 9owning a game that is straight out of box 1p unlike Millennium Blades which needs a 30$ expansion pack for 1p rules...

Also I plan on buying the entire set of Dunwhich Legacy it looks really fun and I am really into Jim Culver he looks awesome having music that revives the dead. And he's a jazz musician
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.