Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, "Termi-Nation Absolute Zero: Worst variant ever?"

I'm a big fan of AZ. I don't mind that he's slow to set up, or that he can't do anything without his stuff in play, or that he really suffers from board wipes. His abilities fit my playstyle and I always enjoy playing him. The F6 variant is fun for getting out of the gate quicker, and the F5 version is just disgusting, as all F5 variants are.

But Termi-Nation I just cannot figure out. And I want to; I don't want to hate him. I mean, I get what it's going for with the "free Bloody Knuckles every round" power, but I can't figure out how to use it to maximum potential. I find I either end up doing precisely nothing until I get Thermal Shockwave (and Isothermic Transducer, and Null-Point Calibration), or I use his base power and quickly die.

TN Unity is lots of fun, and even TN Bunker is better than his original version. But TN AZ? I don't get him. What's his deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Remind us (me?) the text of his character Power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's he deals +2 damage and takes +2 damage until the end of his next turn. Or something along those lines.

I think the variant just relies on him being set up. And when he is, it allows him to deal out some significant damage. But, like his normal (non-variant) power, he's just not that useful until he gets his setup going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I don't remember exactly what he does, but I do know the one time I played him I did an insane burst turn. When he's set up, his one shots become absolutely bananas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
TakeWalker wrote:
Or, "Termi-Nation Absolute Zero: Worst variant ever?"

I'm a big fan of AZ. I don't mind that he's slow to set up, or that he can't do anything without his stuff in play, or that he really suffers from board wipes. His abilities fit my playstyle and I always enjoy playing him. The F6 variant is fun for getting out of the gate quicker, and the F5 version is just disgusting, as all F5 variants are.

But Termi-Nation I just cannot figure out. And I want to; I don't want to hate him. I mean, I get what it's going for with the "free Bloody Knuckles every round" power, but I can't figure out how to use it to maximum potential. I find I either end up doing precisely nothing until I get Thermal Shockwave (and Isothermic Transducer, and Null-Point Calibration), or I use his base power and quickly die.

TN Unity is lots of fun, and even TN Bunker is better than his original version. But TN AZ? I don't get him. What's his deal?

So first and foremost you need to get him set up. While Freedom 5 and 6 AZ focused more on letting him play without needing to be set up Termi-Nation Is all focused around taking his healing/damage shenanigans to the max.

Your first few turns should be focused completely on getting both Modules in play. If you Don't have your modules Don't be afraid to skip your play so you can draw twice. The only power you should be using at this point is Glacial Structure so skipping for that extra card draw can be worth it. Now you should use your judgment. If you have any of this other equipment or ongoing then you might want to play them given the situation. Otherwise remember you are trying to get set up.

So lets say you have Isothermic Transducer, Null-Point Calibration Unit, Focused Aperture. You don't absolutely need Focused Aperture but a standard AZ has it in play so it will illustrate the point well. Next up you want either Thermal Shockwave or Coolant Blast as you will really need one of these 2 to take advantage. Thermal Shockwave is my power of choice so lets use this one.

Standard Thermal Shockwave with this setup:
Damage 1 or 2 enemies for 2
Heal yourself for 2
Deal yourself 4 fire damage (without incaping yourself) and either redirect that damage to yourself (net heal of 1 and usually my choice) or damage an enemy with it (5 damage)
Result:
A. 3 HP net healed and 2 enemies damaged for 2.
B. 2 HP net loss with 2 enemies damaged for 2 and a floating 5 damage.

Very reasonable (if you have cryo chamber in play you heal 5 which is outstanding).

Now lets say you are Termi-nation and you feel really confident that AZ's health is doing well and that he won't be reciving tons and tons of damage. So you Go Ahead and use Violent Shivers. Next turn you Thermal Shockwave. What happens now?

Violent Shivers boosted Thermal Shockwave with same setup:
Damage 1 or 2 enemies for 4
Heal yourself for 6
Deal yourself 12 fire damage (without incaping yourself) and redirect that damage to yourself to heal a net of 5 or damage an enemy.
Result:
A. 11 HP net healed and 2 enemies damaged for 4.
B. 6 HP net loss with 2 enemies damaged for 4 and a floating 14 Damage.

It should be plainly obvious that if AZ had a choice 1 Violent Shivers boosted Thermal Shockwave is usually gonna be better than 2 standard Thermal Shockwaves as long as he isn't hit too much between that.

However all of this only demonstrates how much better Thermal Shockwave is boosted. You still have a play which can be boosted so lets look at Frost-Bound Drain with Coolant Blast.

Normally Frost-Bound Drain would deal 4 damage to an enemy and hit yourself for 3 which you could use for net 1 of healing or damage. With Violent Shivers? Deal 6 damage, hit yourself for 7 which you could use for net 5 healing or to deal 10 damage. But that's not all. Instead of Thermal Shockwave lets say you used Coolant Blast. That 7 damage you just hit yourself with and possibly healed yourself with? It pumps Coolant Blast up to 10 damage. So Violent Shivers+Frost-Bound Drain +Coolant Blast potentially = Heal yourself for 5 deal bursts of 6 and 10 damage. This is more than twice what Frost-Bound Drain +Coolant Blast would do on their own and Hoar Fire gets even more ridiculous.

Lastly AZ can have 2 impales and 1 Cold Snap in play which would yield 6 more extra damage.

So you see once set up Violent Shivers takes what would be a normal turn and pushes it way way beyond by making every single one of AZ's cards heal more effectively and deal damage more effectively. Your only real danger is accidentally killing AZ if you don't monitor his HP well though with all the extra healing he gets it shouldn't be a problem.

So basically yeah, your assessment that "I either end up doing precisely nothing until I get Thermal Shockwave (and Isothermic Transducer, and Null-Point Calibration), or I use his base power and quickly die" is correct (coolant blast works too though) and for the most part you don't want to use the ability unless the time is right just like his base ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually helps, knowing that you are just supposed to spin your wheels for a while first. I still wish it was "Bloody Knuckles, then play a card" so you could make the most of it with a one-shot before getting slammed by the environment and/or villain.

So the next time I play him (he's sitting at the top of my variant box currently), I'll get into more of a Scholar/Unity mindset and try not to mind drawing lots of cards! Thanks, BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing use of TN AZ that I witnessed in a game yesterday:

Setup: Isothermic Transducer, Focused Apertures, Coolant Blast, and Null-Point Calibration Unit in play, an Impale on the target in question, and Violent Shivers in effect.

Start of turn: Impale goes off, 2+2+1=5 Cold damage to our hapless villain.

Play phase: Hoarfire.
Absolute Zero deals 2+2+1=5 Cold damage to the villain.
Absolute Zero deals 2+2+2=6 Fire damage to himself, Isothermic Transducer allows Absolute Zero to deal 6+2+1=9 Cold damage to the villain.
Absolute Zero attempts to deal 1+2+2+1 Cold damage to himself, Null-Point Calibration Unit heals Absolute Zero for 6 HP instead.
Absolute Zero deals 1+2+2=5 Fire damage to himself, Isothermic Transducer allows Absolute Zero to deal 5+2+1=8 Cold damage to the villain.

Power phase: Coolant Blast. Absolute Zero has taken 11 Fire damage, so deals 11+2+1=14 Cold damage to the villain.

Net result of the turn: Absolute Zero loses 5 HP, villain loses 41 HP.

Now, all that said... Never, EVER, use Thermal Shockwave with TN AZ. That's just asking for a bad time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
AZ can throw many more instances of damage than Fixer, and can use the +2 taken to his own advantage.

Sure, you run the risk of getting taken out by a surprise flurry of damage, but the sheer amount of damage this character can throw down with just his modules and one-shots is incredible.

He is the best AZ at playing the "weapons platform" role where you bounce damage off of him, Shivers + Ra is just ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:

Now, all that said... Never, EVER, use Thermal Shockwave with TN AZ. That's just asking for a bad time.

I wouldn't say never use Thermal Shockwave just keep even more in mind how much damage you've put out even more than usual. I would lean more towards using Coollant Blast only because you have dealt yourself more fire damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thumbs up on this thread.
I love me some AZ, but I know Termi-Nation is not a variant I've played more than once to prove a point.

Great so see some of the analysis others do, so I don't have to ponder it so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaand I just discovered that Completionist Guise makes this all moot.

Start as F6 AZ until you get Isothermic Transducer. Switch to F5 so you can set up. Switch to TN and rock ass. Guise loves AZ's powers, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.