3 Posts

The Banner Saga: Warbands» Forums » General

Subject: Thane Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drea Paulsen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone explain how the thanes power works for me? more exactly how the Speeches worked.

Lets say you put 2 renown into one of the speeches, it says you can use it now to do this, OR you can put the marker on your board to get this bonus.

That I kinda understand, but if you place the token on your board to get a shield token for your guy, how long does that token stay, for the 1 fight? Please explain the speeches for me if you can.

Another thing the Thane shows is the favors section, it says you can use the token to sway a vote (or something like that) do you need to have the 2 renown for that speech to use the token that way, how does it sway the vote. If someone could explain that part of his power with an example that would help me understand it a lot better as there seams to be no example in the rules or the videos posted by MERCS.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I haven't seen anything official on this, other than the rule book and the thane board, but here is my understanding:

Once the thane has earned a bannerman's favor, he gains the corresponding skirmish bonus in each subsequent skirmish, until the favor is spent. If he never spends the favor, he will retain the bonus in all subsequent skirmishes. Once spent, the skirmish bonus immediately ends.

A favor token can be spent in 1 of 3 ways:
1. The condition specified for that specific favor under the speeches section
2. During a skirmish to sacrifice the corresponding bannerman's follower
3. While discussing the resolution choice for an event card, force the corresponding bannerman to agree with the thane's choice.

Here is an example:
Thane and warmaster must decide an internal event. The thane picks option 1. The warmaster states his intention to pick option 2. The thane spends the warmaster favor token, so option 1 will be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drea Paulsen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so as far as you know keeping the favor token for the skirmish effect does not prevent you from later using it to sway a vote or use the power (lets say warmasters one that gives him extra group will before a battle)

I was unsure of this, as they changed the board art in the final game compared to what they used in the videos and the final board shows spend to give someone a bonus OR save to give your self a bonus.

We will play it the way you listed below for now as that was kinda how I interpreted it as well. It is sad they didn't but a more detailed explanation of the characters in the book with a explanation of each power lol. the back of the character sheets is something at least, but you cant look at it when you are playing as you got tokens on it, and it does not really explain things to well.

^,..,^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.