Subject: Will MMP re-implement the sequel to A Victory Lost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if MMP might have any plans or inclination to reimplement "Manstein's Last Battle" as it is the sequel to what "A Victory Lost" reimplemented in Struggle of Army Group Manstein?
I have become a fan of this series of games, and while all the "Victory" series games are not by the same designer as "A Victory Lost", Manstein's Last Battle is, and I think it could use a reimplementation in English and would have great success.
I am a history buff and have been studying Eric von Manstein's military career and history and believe this would be an awesome game for MMP to consider adding to their International Game Series and Victory series.
They could call it "A Victory Delayed" seeing as that Manstein was the one general that vexed the Soviets and had more to do with the Soviet victory taking as long as it did.

Any thoughts out there? I would like to see more "A Victory..." series games and think this would be a great one! It has a neat new dynamic that allows Manstein to struggle with the fuhrer for more flexibility of command and more reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Erwin
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would LOVE to have this happen.

At one point, it was brought up that this and the battle for Hungary could be future installments in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know too, after the creation by Adam Starkweather of his own company. What would happen with the Intenational Game series, and with Gran Tactical series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for reference, here's what Adam Starkweather posted on September 9th. He's been a driving force behind the IGS series of which A Victory Lost

"Hey guys. Things have been quiet here for a bit and I can now say why. MMP has decided to cancel my working agreement with them as of September 1. I certainly see why this was the best of many bad choices for them and I have no ill feelings towards MMP. I wish MMP the best in the future.
BUT I STILL HAVE GAMES TO MAKE!
So watch here for more news very soon.

Adam"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently managed to obtain a copy of Game Journal #42 which has Manstein's Last Battle with it. Luckily it came with a set of english rules so I should be able to make sense of it fairly well. The map appears to be still in Japanese, but I think I will be able to figure that out. I will post in the future as to how I think this measures up to A Victory Lost. Seeing as that this spurred my curiosity about a reimplementation I will post my opinions as a comparison. As it seems now, the only drawback will be the language barrier(hopefully the rules were translated properly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Just for reference, here's what Adam Starkweather posted on September 9th. He's been a driving force behind the IGS series of which A Victory Lost

"Hey guys. Things have been quiet here for a bit and I can now say why. MMP has decided to cancel my working agreement with them as of September 1. I certainly see why this was the best of many bad choices for them and I have no ill feelings towards MMP. I wish MMP the best in the future.

Adam"

Where did you see this posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

Adam"

The facebook page that used to be "IGSandGTS" has been renamed "SDS Games" after Starkweather's company. It's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Osprey wrote:
autumnweave wrote:

Adam"

The facebook page that used to be "IGSandGTS" has been renamed "SDS Games" after Starkweather's company. It's there.

Thanks. Do you know if he has another website other than on Facebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:

Adam"

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Tetsuya Nakamura is the designer of Struggle of Army Group Manstein which is A Victory Lost.
Adam Starkweather designed A Victory Denied and as said had a hand in the IGS series. There is also A Victory Complete which covers the battle of Tannenburg in 1914, and correct me if I am wrong but that is yet another designer. So I would guess it would come down to who has or obtains the rights to Manstein's Last Battle by Nakamura.
Which ever way it would break down, I feel that this would be an awesome continuation of the series.
Any other "A Victory..." games out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Late Summer MMP email update, sent out on August 4th of this year (2016):

A Victory Awaits

If you know A Victory Lost, you won't have any trouble with A Victory Awaits. Lots of game play but also one of the lightest rules loads of any Barbarossa game in a very long time. A Victory Awaits is actually three games in one! You can play just the Army Group North, Central, or South games, or play all three at once in a grand Barbarossa scenario!
Playtesting indicates this is a solid game and worthy addition to the IGS line of games. We hope to add this to the preorder page soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chee wrote:
From the Late Summer MMP email update, sent out on August 4th of this year (2016):

A Victory Awaits

If you know A Victory Lost, you won't have any trouble with A Victory Awaits. Lots of game play but also one of the lightest rules loads of any Barbarossa game in a very long time. A Victory Awaits is actually three games in one! You can play just the Army Group North, Central, or South games, or play all three at once in a grand Barbarossa scenario!
Playtesting indicates this is a solid game and worthy addition to the IGS line of games. We hope to add this to the preorder page soon!

Thanks, Sounds awesome! Seems like they are tapping into Tatsuya Nakamura once again, this time the Fierce Fight! Barbarossa series(also found in various issues of Game Journal). That series indeed uses similar mechanics as A Victory Lost. The Fierce Fight series also has a Stalingrad version, which kicks off with the start of Case Blue in June '42.
Looks like I just found my next game to look forward too. I will definitely get A Victory Awaits, seeing as they are putting 3 games in one package, and I wouldn't have to translate the rules or map info.
What would be some other good "A Victory ..." titles?
Thwarted, Squandered, Wasted, Undone, Final, Fated, or even a little more suave with A Victory Fait Accompli?
Just thinking out loud...
Maybe even some other battles on the east front could be looked at. Hube's Pocket(the battle of Cholm), Operation Citadel, Korsun Pocket.
I wonder if they would even wrap it up with the final few months of the war and the battle of Berlin- A Victory at Last
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chee wrote:

A Victory Awaits

This was prior to Starkweather's announcement. Hopefully it is still true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redblackmonkey wrote:
[q="Chee"]From the Late Summer MMP email update, sent out on August 4th of this year (2016):

What would be some other good "A Victory ..." titles?
Thwarted, Squandered, Wasted, Undone, Final, Fated, or even a little more suave with A Victory Fait Accompli?
Just thinking out loud...
Maybe even some other battles on the east front could be looked at. Hube's Pocket(the battle of Cholm), Operation Citadel, Korsun Pocket.
I wonder if they would even wrap it up with the final few months of the war and the battle of Berlin- A Victory at Last

I always thought "A Victory Bulges" was a natural game for the series. Two disparate forces at the outset with initially the Germans dominant before the inexorable counter by the Americans. Incorporating this popular game system to model arguably one of the most popular wargaming subjects of all time, seemed to me a match made in heaven. A few years ago I threw this suggestion (and title ) Adams way, an while he didn't deride the idea, I think it safe to say he had way too much on his plate at that time.

There was also "A Victory Approaches", Adams follow up to AVD, and while preceding the last few months of the war, it did cover the Germans last major offensive in the East as it was set in Hungary 1944/45. It looks as if a fair bit of development went into this game before it dropped off the radar, it was at least as far as getting counters and a map knocked up for play testing. Maybe Adams retained the rights to it as it was his baby if my memory serves me correctly? He also spoke of a game where players would play either Konev or Zhukov as they both raced competitively for Berlin. The idea here was that each player would also control the German forces facing the opposite players commander, an interesting twist that would have been entirely appropriate in modelling these two commanders intense rivalry. Or maybe I'm getting confused and that was also "A Victory Approaches"?

In any event, now that Adam and MMP have parted ways, perhaps this/these titles will have a chance of one day seeing the light of day. Whilst I'll be pre ordering "A Victory Awaits" and don't see it taking long to hit it's print threshold, I'd be as confident of this happening with a rejuvenated "A Victory Approaches"... or indeed one that dare I say, "Bulged"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not named "A Victory..." game, Konigsberg '45 utilizes a very similar system as the "A Victory..." series and is by the same design/artist team as "A Victory Complete". Magnus Nordlof designed "A Victory Complete" with Stefan Ekstrom as Artist. For Konigsberg '45, looks like they flip flopped design and artist credentials. Konigsberg '45 had a very small printing of around 40 some odd games by Three Crowns Game Productions, and has been picked up by MMP and is currently on their preorder list. It covers the Soviet offensive into East Prussia from January to February of 1945. The core system seems to be there, with some minor changes. There is a nice review by davidbuck on the bgg page for Konigsberg '45 if anyone is interested, I know I am.
There is only 26 more pre orders needed to hit the mark, I've preordered this one as I am currently getting into "A Victory Complete" and am liking that one so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.