Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's around 20 minutes, but it's pretty good:

https://youtu.be/zaD84DTGULo

3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:


Except that they don't send them money.
14 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:

Except that they don't send them money.


Sure they do. HBO is a paid for service. As is Comedy Central.

Just because the money flow isn't as direct doesn't mean it isn't happening.

John Oliver makes something like 2 million a year. And nobody makes a big deal out of his getting rich peddling his messages.

Now I agree with about half of what he usually is asserting, and he is petty funny even when I think he is wrong. This was a very well done piece. But can we not pretend that his profession is NOT highly monetarily driven?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:


Except that they don't send them money.


Except of course when he does ask for money in order to mock televangelists.

4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
jonb wrote:

Except that they don't send them money.


Sure they do. HBO is a paid for service. As is Comedy Central.

Just because the money flow isn't as direct doesn't mean it isn't happening.

John Oliver makes something like 2 million a year. And nobody makes a big deal out of his getting rich peddling his messages.

Now I agree with about half of what he usually is asserting, and he is petty funny even when I think he is wrong. This was a very well done piece. But can we not pretend that his profession is NOT highly monetarily driven?


If you don't understand the difference between a salaried employee and a pastor guilting/begging for money, well, I got nuthin.
11 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
jonb wrote:
It's around 20 minutes, but it's pretty good:



cool
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss The Bugle..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that there should be more police accountability, but he's wrong about believing that unarmed means no threat. Not even talking about those cases where the victim was thought to be armed when shot, there are times I'm sure the officer can feel threat of deadly force by an unarmed (or underarmed, i.e. knife) civilian.



There is something wrong with hanging out on street corners if there is "no loitering" allowed there. Especially if the cops tell you to disperse. Oliver implies that it's no big deal, so why bother the loiterers? Well, his argument could go the other way as well--if it's not a big deal, then just comply. It's not as if the officer is giving an unlawful order (like "show me you'r tits and I'll not write you a ticket"). Just disperse! Why make trouble with the cops, just because you feel you have the right? It's the selfish, spoiled mentality that creates this juvenile confrontation with the cops in the first place. That's probably why (at the end of the video) there are programs to educate people on how to interact with the police.

And you certainly don't attack police (even if you're being handcuffed and taken to jail). That's a good way to get killed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Desiderata wrote:


And you certainly don't attack police (even if you're being handcuffed and taken to jail). That's a good way to get killed.


FWIW, the youtube description of that video explains that the security guard in the video is an off duty cop.

Why does that make a difference? Are you saying it's okay for the civilian to punch him and slam his head in the ground because he's "off duty"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
red black wrote:
Desiderata wrote:


And you certainly don't attack police (even if you're being handcuffed and taken to jail). That's a good way to get killed.


FWIW, the youtube description of that video explains that the security guard in the video is an off duty cop.

Why does that make a difference? Are you saying it's okay for the civilian to punch him and slam his head in the ground because he's "off duty"?


For the sake of being accurate?

Okay, well I wasn't aware we were distinguishing between whether or not an officer was on duty or not. In any case, thanks for the clarification.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
I agree that there should be more police accountability, but he's wrong about believing that unarmed means no threat. Not even talking about those cases where the victim was thought to be armed when shot, there are times I'm sure the officer can feel threat of deadly force by an unarmed (or underarmed, i.e. knife) civilian.



There is something wrong with hanging out on street corners if there is "no loitering" allowed there. Especially if the cops tell you to disperse. Oliver implies that it's no big deal, so why bother the loiterers? Well, his argument could go the other way as well--if it's not a big deal, then just comply. It's not as if the officer is giving an unlawful order (like "show me you'r tits and I'll not write you a ticket"). Just disperse! Why make trouble with the cops, just because you feel you have the right? It's the selfish, spoiled mentality that creates this juvenile confrontation with the cops in the first place. That's probably why (at the end of the video) there are programs to educate people on how to interact with the police.


And you certainly don't attack police (even if you're being handcuffed and taken to jail). That's a good way to get killed.



Actually no, it does not go "both ways". And if the officer is telling you to disperse sans reason, that is an unlawful order. Or did they get rid of the right to peaceably assemble.

And the lessons given at the end of the piece were just for African American students. And if you think that having to give lessons to a race on how not to get shot by the police is a good sign, then you managed to miss the entire point of the story
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John Oliver, a pretty legit source...

/facepalm
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
I agree that there should be more police accountability, but he's wrong about believing that unarmed means no threat. Not even talking about those cases where the victim was thought to be armed when shot, there are times I'm sure the officer can feel threat of deadly force by an unarmed (or underarmed, i.e. knife) civilian.



There is something wrong with hanging out on street corners if there is "no loitering" allowed there. Especially if the cops tell you to disperse. Oliver implies that it's no big deal, so why bother the loiterers? Well, his argument could go the other way as well--if it's not a big deal, then just comply. It's not as if the officer is giving an unlawful order (like "show me you'r tits and I'll not write you a ticket"). Just disperse! Why make trouble with the cops, just because you feel you have the right? It's the selfish, spoiled mentality that creates this juvenile confrontation with the cops in the first place. That's probably why (at the end of the video) there are programs to educate people on how to interact with the police.


And you certainly don't attack police (even if you're being handcuffed and taken to jail). That's a good way to get killed.



Actually no, it does not go "both ways". And if the officer is telling you to disperse sans reason, that is an unlawful order. Or did they get rid of the right to peaceably assemble.

And the lessons given at the end of the piece were just for African American students. And if you think that having to give lessons to a race on how not to get shot by the police is a good sign, then you managed to miss the entire point of the story

Why don't you and your friends go hang out on a street corner? When a cop tells you to disperse, you challenge his/her authority and make him/her provide a reason. We'll see how well that goes for you and your buddies. Cuz that's the type of accountability we're looking for here. You go! [/sarcasm]

There is a problem with both police and civilians (not all, in either case). There is a lack of respect on both sides. I'm in agreement that there's a problem with racism among some police forces. Hopefully, they're addressing those problems. But, communities need to take responsibility for their lack of respect as well. It seems like classes such as these (regardless of who attends) are useful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
I agree that there should be more police accountability, but he's wrong about believing that unarmed means no threat. Not even talking about those cases where the victim was thought to be armed when shot, there are times I'm sure the officer can feel threat of deadly force by an unarmed (or underarmed, i.e. knife) civilian.



There is something wrong with hanging out on street corners if there is "no loitering" allowed there. Especially if the cops tell you to disperse. Oliver implies that it's no big deal, so why bother the loiterers? Well, his argument could go the other way as well--if it's not a big deal, then just comply. It's not as if the officer is giving an unlawful order (like "show me you'r tits and I'll not write you a ticket"). Just disperse! Why make trouble with the cops, just because you feel you have the right? It's the selfish, spoiled mentality that creates this juvenile confrontation with the cops in the first place. That's probably why (at the end of the video) there are programs to educate people on how to interact with the police.


And you certainly don't attack police (even if you're being handcuffed and taken to jail). That's a good way to get killed.



Actually no, it does not go "both ways". And if the officer is telling you to disperse sans reason, that is an unlawful order. Or did they get rid of the right to peaceably assemble.

And the lessons given at the end of the piece were just for African American students. And if you think that having to give lessons to a race on how not to get shot by the police is a good sign, then you managed to miss the entire point of the story

Why don't you and your friends go hang out on a street corner? When a cop tells you to disperse, you challenge his/her authority and make him/her provide a reason. We'll see how well that goes for you and your buddies. Cuz that's the type of accountability we're looking for here. You go! [/sarcasm]

There is a problem with both police and civilians (not all, in either case). There is a lack of respect on both sides. I'm in agreement that there's a problem with racism among some police forces. Hopefully, they're addressing those problems. But, communities need to take responsibility for their lack of respect as well. It seems like classes such as these (regardless of who attends) are useful.


So basically my rights are dependent upon the whims of "officers of the law" but not the law itself. Brute force supplanting laws only appeals to the weak minded

If you think classes that are instructing people how not to get shot because their race makes them more likely for this to happen, is anything but an indictment of the system as it stands now please watch the segment again, obviously you were napping.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.