Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in an RtL side quest where we're fighting a Crypt Dragon. One his activations has 3 actions listed
1) Do Cause Fear on hero with lowest (whatever)
2) Attack nearest hero within 3 spaces
3) if within 2 squares of a hero then retreat

Am I correctly interpreting this that if there is no hero within 3 spaces of the Dragon, it won't do anything? Cause Fear effect requires an adjacent hero and the other actions require a hero within 3/2 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that you move towards the nearest hero. Let's see what the experts say on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert but as I understand the app if it doesn't say "move", "engage" or 'spot" you might have lucked out by having your heroes far enough away for the Dragons actions to be ineffective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
A strict reading of the rules says that the dragon will not move in that instance. I've seen others with similar oversights (at least I think they're oversights). We had one that said something like:
Spot the hero within 5 with the lowest might
Attack a hero (ranged attack)

It had no LoS to start with and no heroes within 5 spaces, so the monster did nothing at all. I'm not sure how I feel about that tbh. I'd rather they always have a default Spot/Egnage and attack to fall back on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
The core monsters and boxed expansions are pretty good, but some of the other monster activations are a bit rough. You could submit this as a bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
id love to know if its a bug..
sometimes i think a big monster probably hits hard the game know to give it a brake now and then..

or an rpg moment the monsters "monologue" momment before its next attack

it doesn't happen to often but i've noticed it.. and have wondered if i should have record the text and moment to submit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it as the hero's know the monster is there, but the monster is oblivious to their presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really complaining about the monster not attacking us (the game is hard as it is), but it is a little anti-climatic when the big scary dragon that you went "oh, crap" when he showed up, then just sits there looking at you for a turn or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Prison Break side mission (I don't know how RtL works exactly, so I will put spoiler tags) with only the core set:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We had two dragons show up in a small side passage room. The way I read the attacks was they could only attack adjacent figures. Well the second dragon had no way to fit past the first, so it just sat there for a few turns until we killed the other dragon. A bit anti-climatic.

Feel free to tell me we were doing it wrong, because we probably were, as we didn't exactly read the rules before we started and just used the app, previous Imperial Assault experience, and a quick skim of the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
During the Prison Break side mission (I don't know how RtL works exactly, so I will put spoiler tags) with only the core set:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We had two dragons show up in a small side passage room. The way I read the attacks was they could only attack adjacent figures. Well the second dragon had no way to fit past the first, so it just sat there for a few turns until we killed the other dragon. A bit anti-climatic.

Feel free to tell me we were doing it wrong, because we probably were, as we didn't exactly read the rules before we started and just used the app, previous Imperial Assault experience, and a quick skim of the book.

Crypt Dragon attacks are ranged, except when they do Cause Fear. Also are you using the large figure movement rules correctly? Large monsters "shrink" to 1 square when moving and then "expand" back when they stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it was a crypt dragon (unless that's the only one in the core game, and I don't remember anything about "Cause Fear"). I believe the app said to attack an adjacent figure? We also wouldn't have been able to move the second dragon anywhere, as nowhere were there enough empty spaces to place the dragon. I think Imperial Assault had something like moving huge figures and just bumping single-square figures out of the way, which seems like something that is probably in Descent. I should also caveat we had been drinking for a while, and it was getting pretty late.

I suspect actually reading the rules will be a good idea before next game session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
Base game have only Shadow Dragons and they have melee attack.

We had similar situation during Prison Break session and basically we saw how app is unable to handle large monsters. Because it treats all monsters as cannon fodder - rush and die. Large monsters often are blocking movement for other monsters and in case of massive monsters usually first one to move blocks second one completely.

Fact that monsters are stopping in first valid space does not allow closer monster to move behind to make space for second one - what any OL would do.
At the beginning my group tried to ignore some of the stupid rules and make movement like even half brain OL would do. But that made game so difficult - almost impossible to be enjoyable.
We do smarter monster positioning and in next activation they have blast/+10 range/+dmg for every shop/search cart, those buffs are there to minimize brain dead AI of monsters.

Now we play with rules as written and if monsters are doing stupid things, we do not try to correct them as in next activation it may cost us the quest with ridiculous buffs on given monster group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
IceRik wrote:

We had similar situation during Prison Break session and basically we saw how app is unable to handle large monsters. Because it treats all monsters as cannon fodder - rush and die. Large monsters often are blocking movement for other monsters and in case of massive monsters usually first one to move blocks second one completely.

Fact that monsters are stopping in first valid space does not allow closer monster to move behind to make space for second one - what any OL would do.
At the beginning my group tried to ignore some of the stupid rules and make movement like even half brain OL would do. But that made game so difficult - almost impossible to be enjoyable.
We do smarter monster positioning and in next activation they have blast/+10 range/+dmg for every shop/search cart, those buffs are there to minimize brain dead AI of monsters.

Now we play with rules as written and if monsters are doing stupid things, we do not try to correct them as in next activation it may cost us the quest with ridiculous buffs on given monster group.

In general I agree with you, this is how the game is balanced. In this case however not even trying to move up is a bug in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
IceRik wrote:

In general I agree with you, this is how the game is balanced. In this case however not even trying to move up is a bug in my opinion.

Also, make sure you use the rule that monsters can move through other monsters, just can't stop in their space. I realize this probably doesn't solve the dragon problem if there's no space for the dragon to stop in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Shadow Dragons. We did try to move the rear dragon, yes, but there was no where it would have fit without moving the hero's out of the way. We also could have deployed them differently had we known one would be blocking off the entire room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.