Risk Europe» Forums » Variants

Subject: How would you balance a 5 or 6 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
migue colacho
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm having bad luck at achieving a 4 player game (I've only played 3 player variant) because we are always either 3 or 5 people, so I don't know how the game plays with 4 players. However, I have a copy of LOTR Risk (and the expansion) so I can create an army for a 5th and even a 6th player. The question is:

How do I balance it? Maybe the map will get too crowded to collect 7 crowns, or maybe there will be not enough castles available after the setup to make an interesting game (my gamegroup rush them a lot). Maybe any of you, readers, have managed to create a 5 player game that is balanced, so I ask you that question =) Would you leave the game as it is and just add one player, would you reduce the crown goal by one (down to 6 crowns from 7, the standard goal), and would you add any extra castles?

What about adding a 6th player? xD

Regards!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
necroferos wrote:
Hi,

I'm having bad luck at achieving a 4 player game (I've only played 3 player variant) because we are always either 3 or 5 people, so I don't know how the game plays with 4 players. However, I have a copy of LOTR Risk (and the expansion) so I can create an army for a 5th and even a 6th player. The question is:

How do I balance it? Maybe the map will get too crowded to collect 7 crowns, or maybe there will be not enough castles available after the setup to make an interesting game (my gamegroup rush them a lot). Maybe any of you, readers, have managed to create a 5 player game that is balanced, so I ask you that question =) Would you leave the game as it is and just add one player, would you reduce the crown goal by one (down to 6 crowns from 7, the standard goal), and would you add any extra castles?

What about adding a 6th player? xD

Regards!!

I would leave castles as they are. I would reduce crown required try reducing by one. If the game goes long then reduce by 2 crowns. 6 players becomes crowded.

I think the biggest problem with 5 and definitely 6 players is player elimination. If your group doesn't mind that then play on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
migue colacho
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer =)

I think player elimination won't be a problem ^^ If I get to play with 5 or 6 players I'll update the main post telling my experience!

Btw I'm still eager to read more answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two 5-player games so far, each with a mercenary 6th army. Unless you use other rules mods to mitigate it, I'd suggest a victory condition of 6 crowns with 5-6 players. The board isn't crowded, per se, but there are fewer easy crowns for the taking.

Furthermore I'd suggest replacing the free one-time tax for Expanding into an unoccupied city with a *penalty* of losing that many units there instead. Lucking into those initial crowns at the start and getting a bonus for doing so can make the game swingy, so applying a penalty forces players to think/plan ahead instead of simply racing to be the first in, and in this way players at the end of the turn order aren't penalized quite as much.

For 7-8 players, further reduce the victory condition to 5 crowns and add a tax value of 1 to all non-city territories to ensure that siege engines remain a viable option. Also I'd remove the option to buy castles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about placing Indigenous Units in each Neutral City equal to the Tax Value. THat way it is unlikely players will take them with just one Unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 5 players yesterday.
We added footmen (Orcs!) to each uncontrolled city equal to the tax value, and played to 6 Crowns.
It was a blast!
Played as well as with Four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
migue colacho
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your advice! I will definitely try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.