Hide
4 Posts

Merchant of Venus (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Never Played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KGB Jr
msg tools
Am I overthinking or is this game not as difficult as I am making it out to be? I have read the classic game instructions but feels like I am missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say without knowing what in specific you are worried about. The rules are pretty straightforward but making efficient decisions is where it can be more difficult. Like chess, the rules are simple but the strategy is a bit deeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thekgbjr wrote:
Am I overthinking or is this game not as difficult as I am making it out to be? I have read the classic game instructions but feels like I am missing something.
In Classic mode this is a pretty straightforward pick up and deliver game. The rules aren't complex really, you should be able to get going pretty quickly. Of course this doesn't mean that the gameplay has no depth - quite the opposite: planning and efficiency are paramount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does look a lot more complex/harder than it actually is (this seems to be a Hamblen hallmark, actually). As has been mentioned, it really boils down to a pick up and deliver race game. In the Classic rules, there's only a little bit of chrome to add some additional random complexity. In FFG's Standard rules, they have added a lot of chrome that somewhat needlessly complicates things and IMHO hamstrings the market dynamics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.