Mall of Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Tweaking Mall of Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MoH is certainly a fun game, but after a few rounds we found that everybody wanted to tweak the rules a little. I'm wondering if people here on the 'Geek have had the same experience, or have they found the standard rules entirely satisfactory?

Here's the tweaks we've been playing with:

1) Zombies do not break in until after they OUTNUMBER the people in the rooms. (ie. they lose in a tie instead of winning)

Why: This just seems more natural and is easier to explain to newbies.

Effects: Slightly lengthens the game. Makes empty rooms with no zombies in front of them safer to move to.

2) "Hardware" remains permanently in the room until the zombies break in, at which point it is destroyed.

Why: Again, this just seems more natural.

Effects: Hardware cards are more useful. Slightly lengthens the game.

3) "Threat" cards remain in effect for tie-breaks.

Why: In close-call situations, (ie. when Threat cards are most useful) Threat cards were often doing very little because they would just cause a tie-break and then not be in effect anymore.

Effects: Threat cards are more useful.

4) If there is more than 1 player in the Parking Lot, the winner of the vote must give the remaining 2 cards to another player in the Parking Lot, which they can then choose 1 from. Otherwise the player may choose any other player to give the 2 cards to. (Note that this is actually two rule tweaks in one: giving 2 cards to choose from instead of only 1, plus having to give to another player in the Parking Lot)

Why: In most of our games, one player tended to gain permanent dominance by using all of the weapons to maintain their characters in the Parking Lot, and thus they controlled all the cards for that game.

Effects: There is more competition and fighting for the "table-scraps" of the second-best cards. Player who is in first place has a harder time holding off people in second place because they cannot withhold cards as easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W4st wrote:
1) Zombies do not break in until after they OUTNUMBER the people in the rooms. (ie. they lose in a tie instead of winning)

Why: This just seems more natural and is easier to explain to newbies.

Effects: Slightly lengthens the game. Makes empty rooms with no zombies in front of them safer to move to.

I don't see any problem with this one.

W4st wrote:
2) "Hardware" remains permanently in the room until the zombies break in, at which point it is destroyed.

Why: Again, this just seems more natural.

Effects: Hardware cards are more useful. Slightly lengthens the game.

Conceptually, I might go against this one. People are running all over the place. While they might do something special to brace a door to hold out the zombies for a moment, they'd also discard the bracing so they could run somewhere else. Still, it's not a change that I have a major problem with.

W4st wrote:

Why: In close-call situations, (ie. when Threat cards are most useful) Threat cards were often doing very little because they would just cause a tie-break and then not be in effect anymore.

Eh. The make-up of who is in a room changes constantly. A threat that works with some characters is meaningless to others. I don't think I can get behind this change.

W4st wrote:
4) If there is more than 1 player in the Parking Lot, the winner of the vote must give the remaining 2 cards to another player in the Parking Lot, which they can then choose 1 from. Otherwise the player may choose any other player to give the 2 cards to. (Note that this is actually two rule tweaks in one: giving 2 cards to choose from instead of only 1, plus having to give to another player in the Parking Lot)

Why: In most of our games, one player tended to gain permanent dominance by using all of the weapons to maintain their characters in the Parking Lot, and thus they controlled all the cards for that game.

Effects: There is more competition and fighting for the "table-scraps" of the second-best cards. Player who is in first place has a harder time holding off people in second place because they cannot withhold cards as easily.

Why force the cards to be given to someone in the Parking Lot? Anybody can USE them, right? Conceptually, the 1st player is simply hiding an extra item to give to someone else later.

If one player is raking in the cards, the simple solution would be to always throw them to the zombies. They'll have to keep burning cards to stave off death and I don't think they can keep that up for long.

As for permanent dominance in the parking lot, I've never seen that happen. There are plenty of cards that don't help kill zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
W4st wrote:

Eh. The make-up of who is in a room changes constantly. A threat that works with some characters is meaningless to others. I don't think I can get behind this change.

Well, we're not applying it beyond the very short-term case of a tie-break vote. So the characters and makeup of the room aren't changing.

Trump wrote:
As for permanent dominance in the parking lot, I've never seen that happen. There are plenty of cards that don't help kill zombies.

True, but when you get to choose between 3 cards, you can always pick the weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
W4st wrote:

I really like this variant you've come up with. If there's more than one person in the parking lot than they should have the choice of what's found in the truck by order of the # of votes.
-I think it gives all the more reason to risk moving to the parking lot.
-And it makes more sense than allowing the vote winner to just hand the left over cards to someone without any of thier characters nearby. Having said that; when there's only one person in the parking lot, that player would then have the option of giving the other two cards to any player of his choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.