David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I occasionally read and post in RSP.

]Is Your Online World Just a ‘Filter Bubble’ of People With the Same Opinions?

“And one of the things we want is to spend more time with people who think like us and less with people who are different,” Haidt added. “The Facebook effect isn’t trivial. But it’s catalyzing or amplifying a tendency that was already there.”

If I limited my communication to smart people, my view of the world would be too biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

“And one of the things we want is to spend more time with people who think like us and less with people who are different,” Haidt added. “The Facebook effect isn’t trivial. But it’s catalyzing or amplifying a tendency that was already there.”

If I limited my communication to smart people, my view of the world would be too biased.

Oh Yeah?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on behalf of all of us, thank you for gracing us with your presence.

Holy shit, this way more obnoxious then your usual shit. You certainly turned it up to 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

This was the way it was before Facebook, and the internet. Why would we want to hang out with assholes that didn't share the world view that was important to us?

I mean, we are probably more involved with those kind of people on social media now than we ever were in real life.(sans family)

People like some on RSP if I came across in real life would have been shunned(or punched) after the first meeting if they acted and talked the way they do here in front of me. I wouldn't have had to worry about their exposure anymore, cause I wouldn't have socialized with them anymore.

So really, we are less filtered now than we were. Yay, Internet. Which is why we are so polarized now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Oh Yeah?

Snappy comeback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
MWChapel wrote:
This was the way it was before Facebook, and the internet.

Related.
Quote:
Even if BLM adapted its language, it would still be difficult to reach beyond its core supporters, says McCarthy, the Harvard historian. When King spoke of his dream, most Americans got their news from three television networks and newspapers. Today, more people live in media cocoons where they listen only to political voices they agree with, he says.
"You're not going to get that 18 to 20 minute powerful speech on the Mall where you have MLK talking his dream," he says. "We have so many more voices communicating in these spaces. Everybody tweets, Snapchats and posts on Facebook. Everybody has a platform."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Case in point: RSP.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Honestly that's the main value of RSP for me as well. You go on say, DailyKos or Redstate (depending on how you lean), and it's dull as hell and you don't learn anything - not even what the other people are thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You're not going to get that 18 to 20 minute powerful speech on the Mall where you have MLK talking his dream," he says. "We have so many more voices communicating in these spaces. Everybody tweets, Snapchats and posts on Facebook. Everybody has a platform."

Is the Harvard historian imagining that people got that in 1963? You would think he would know better. Not many people got those 20 minutes then, either.

The Live Coverage of the March on Washington: It’s Not What Most People Think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
DaviddesJ wrote:

Do people in your life laugh at you to your face, or behind your back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Oh Yeah?

Snappy comeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Shadrach wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Oh Yeah?

Snappy comeback.

Dude! Why did I not know about that clip until AFTER Slater was on his way out?

D'oh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just.... so grateful. It is so wonderful to know that my life has meaning now, to know that my existence is to give someone better than me a stupid person to talk with so they can have some balance in their life.

And to stay so remarkably unbiased.

Thank you for letting me know. My aimless wandering in this intellectual wilderness is not in vain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
The trick to a good media diet is to recognize good sources. I might not agree with the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal, or Ross Douthat, or Reihan Salan, but they make good points and are representative of certain types of conservatism- from business focused Calvin Coolidge types, traditional Big Tent types, or Salan, who is young, intelligent, and up and coming.

A bad argument is still important if its representative of what a lot of people think; Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage and Glenn Beck come to mind here- or Breibart, for that matter. Or the Young Turks, to look at the other side of the divide.

But just outright stupid, like Alex Jones, a niche market agent provocateur? Who is dumb as rocks besides? Nope, not interested.

Its noble to want to expand your horizons for other points of view. Bur you need filters, or otherwise its just trash and noise.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Is Your Online World Just a ‘Filter Bubble’ of People With the NOT Same/Saner Opinions?
whistle ~"Imagine there's WERE TWO TIMES GROGnads! What? "Like" it's HARD or 'something'?" -Dave Chappelle & 'Tinman' "approved"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I am just.... so grateful. It is so wonderful to know that my life has meaning now, to know that my existence is to give someone better than me a stupid person to talk with so they can have some balance in their life.

And to stay so remarkably unbiased.

Thank you for letting me know. My aimless wandering in this intellectual wilderness is not in vain.

Hey now, be nice to David and his Autism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
The trick to a good media diet is to recognize good sources. I might not agree with the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal, or Ross Douthat, or Reihan Salan, but they make good points and are representative of certain types of conservatism- from business focused Calvin Coolidge types, traditional Big Tent types, or Salan, who is young, intelligent, and up and coming.

A bad argument is still important if its representative of what a lot of people think; Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage and Glenn Beck come to mind here- or Breibart, for that matter. Or the Young Turks, to look at the other side of the divide.

But just outright stupid, like Alex Jones, a niche market agent provocateur? Who is dumb as rocks besides? Nope, not interested.

Its noble to want to expand your horizons for other points of view. Bur you need filters, or otherwise its just trash and noise.

Darilian

I can't listen to savage for more than 20 minutes at a stretch.

I'm unfiltered on slashdot but have a pretty good filter bubble going on Youtube. But it includes Kelly and O'Reiley from Fox (but not Hannity).

I was unfiltered here but some people were so unpleasant (ala Capn Classic) that I finally had to take steps.

If someone is thoughtful like Joe & Mika on Morning Joe O'Reiley or Cenk on young turks, it's worth it to listen to them. If someone starts off with racism or talking points and doesn't engage in a dialogue, these days they get one shot. I can't afford the time. My personal life has exploded lately and I can't even keep up with Boom Beach any more. Not going to spend time on certain people.

Plus, this election I decided about 3 months ago I really did like Clinton (as opposed to simply find Trump unbelievably unqualified to be president) and committed to supporting her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Darilian wrote:
The trick to a good media diet is to recognize good sources. ...

... Not going to spend time on certain people.

I'll listen to news stories from pretty much any perspective. Story news, on the other hand--where people are deliberated distorted into heroes or villians, just to make a more black-and-white, simplistic, emotive story--story news, I have zero time for.

I don't use Facebook because it wants to put you in a bubble, and I have Google tracking turned off and blocked as much as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

No, but unlike some users I have very few BGG users on ignore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:

If I limited my communication to idiots who live on social media, my view of the world would be really fucking stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Tall_Walt wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Darilian wrote:
The trick to a good media diet is to recognize good sources. ...

... Not going to spend time on certain people.

I'll listen to news stories from pretty much any perspective. Story news, on the other hand--where people are deliberated distorted into heroes or villians, just to make a more black-and-white, simplistic, emotive story--story news, I have zero time for.

I don't use Facebook because it wants to put you in a bubble, and I have Google tracking turned off and blocked as much as possible.

Yeah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Like in real life, the answer is no. Then again, I will quickly bypass those that espouse the same, tired arguments or proclamations that I have heard so many times, be it those that parallel my thoughts or those that counter it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

This was the way it was before Facebook, and the internet. Why would we want to hang out with assholes that didn't share the world view that was important to us?

I mean, we are probably more involved with those kind of people on social media now than we ever were in real life.(sans family)

People like some on RSP if I came across in real life would have been shunned(or punched) after the first meeting if they acted and talked the way they do here in front of me. I wouldn't have had to worry about their exposure anymore, cause I wouldn't have socialized with them anymore.

So really, we are less filtered now than we were. Yay, Internet. Which is why we are so polarized now.

RSP is exactly how we communicated F2F (when younger). Sure, sometimes fists were thrown, but typically it was the defacto comms. If you couldn't deal with it, you checked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
galad2003 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Thumbs up for the last line. Not sure if you are serious or sarcastic but either way great job on trolling.

Why else would he be here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Thumbs up for the last line. Not sure if you are serious or sarcastic but either way great job on trolling.

Why else would he be here?
The rampant wildebeest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.