Subject: Does waiting to play games gets to you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember in the past, I had 3 separate weeks where I could get in board gaming every day of the week. Nowadays, I'm down to once a week to once a month. Even the higher frequency ones can be more so a social call then getting in "quality games". I can do conventions, but they require hours of driving, booking hotel rooms, and the gas money, and only happen periodically (not that I could make those trips a regular thing).

I could consider myself spoiled where I used to be in regions that are much better for gaming. The modern, internet age of "immediate gratification" doesn't help, nor does BGG.com to access many facets of board gaming. OTOH, not being able to play enough has been killing the hobby for me in no trivial amount (although it hasn't completely killed it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not like to only game once a month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't play 'em, buy 'em. It's the same thing, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get twitchy if I don't get at least a win or two per week.

Pete (spasms)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I hate waiting to play games. Thankfully, my husband is always willing to play if we have the time in the evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't game with serious gamers very often at all these days. Fortunately when I'm really hanging out for a game my son loves to play with me and occasionally my wife will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a primarily a solo gamer, this isn't really an issue - although sometimes I'm too busy to play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eternally grateful that my gaming group consists of my wife and daughter. As if that wasn't enough, they love to learn and play new games as often as I'm willing to teach them. As if that wasn't enough, they are really competitive and push me to play my best to have a chance at winning the games.

Hopefully things will turn around for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If gaming happens, then great. If not, great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
My answers to this are called Onirim and Hostage Negotiator

And solo variants for my favourite games! Yay Nemesis Beast in Star Realms.

Also, solo Sentinels of the Multiverse and Aeon's End is marvellous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into painting miniatures to a great extent because of this. At the time, I wasn't finding I was able to game nearly as much as I wanted to. I had a big Dust Tactics box sitting on the shelf, with little miniatures that I found hard to tell apart, and decided to give painting a go.

That was a few years ago, and I continue to do a lot of painting for my games. I'm not as much into solo gaming, but this keeps me connected to board gaming even when I'm not able to get into a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
My girlfriend's souring on the whole board game thing, putting an end to the 5-nights-a-week thing we had going. It's been a few days, and I'm getting antsy. It's a weird feeling. A sinking realization I don't have much going on right now. Spending my evenings feeling like I'm waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

I'll do some solo plays, and bug her to play one evening. All good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't like it. But I like bugging family/friends to play much less. Luckily it's never reached an 'emergency' level for me yet. Not buying new games helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I was sick for my last two gamedays... so it's going to have been a whole week since I last gamed! It's been rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
My girlfriend's souring on the whole board game thing, putting an end to the 5-nights-a-week thing we had going. It's been a few days, and I'm getting antsy. It's a weird feeling. A sinking realization I don't have much going on right now. Spending my evenings feeling like I'm waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

You know...

Pete (mentally removed the words "board game" and got a good chuckle out of this)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I feel lucky to find the time and the players to get in a game maybe once a month. I play solo occasionally to fill in the gaps. Most of my multi-player gaming takes place around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that's what BGG was for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
celdom wrote:

You know...

Pete (mentally removed the words "board game" and got a good chuckle out of this)

Folk wisdom is this: In the first year of a relationship if you put a penny in a jar for every time you play a board game and then ever after take a penny out, the jar will never be empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too lazy to set up solo games. I'd rather do something else. Plus, for me, I also like the social aspect of games, which isn't possible here. Plus, playing with others means I get access to their games, not to mention more variety.

BGG may very well be the only reason I haven't given up on board gaming completely. Furthermore, it's still not a substitute for playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'm too lazy to set up solo games. I'd rather do something else. Plus, for me, I also like the social aspect of games, which isn't possible here. Plus, playing with others means I get access to their games, not to mention more variety.

BGG may very well be the only reason I haven't given up on board gaming completely. Furthermore, it's still not a substitute for playing games.

Well then the wait can be long indeed. The best thing you could do would be to try and set up more game nights with different groups. Sites like Urbeez might help. Living in the coutryside of France, I can't help much more. But I have the same problem since I left my social group. They were not interested in my games and me in theirs so it just wouldn't do. Problem is, card games aren't that popular here. Hence the solo games

I don't suppose digital versions played online do the trick either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be missing my weekly game night because I have been invited to a Chicago Cubs playoff game. Can't really pass that up, but not playing will give me fits!

Pete (will be grouchy next week)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I will be missing my weekly game night because I have been invited to a Chicago Cubs playoff game. Can't really pass that up, but not playing will give me fits!

Pete (will be grouchy next week)

I'm incredibly jealous. I'd miss game night for that too.

Go Cubs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I don't suppose digital versions played online do the trick either?

I play against AI for Race For The Galaxy, Ascension, and Dominion. That's helped a lot. I have other digital bg that I'm done with, those I'm still not done with, but as to buying more of them, I still have a backlog of digital bg and (real) vg that when I want to play something, I may as well fire those up, which means I do less bg-ing than before, but at least it's still good entertainment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky that my wife shares my passion for boardgames. It might be nice to join a gaming club sometime to get out and about.

I can understand the frustration of not being able to do a hobby as much as you would like. In my case that has been part of the attraction of boardgames, I had the frustration issue with my former passion.

My wife is not nuts on war themes so I am looking at getting into solo for that boardgame front.

I hope you find a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started I could only game once every several weeks, and half the time someone would have to cancel. I'd get SO disappointed. Then I met a group that plays once a week, and have since introduced another group to the hobby, so I can play twice a week if I wanted...very blessed.

I hope your situation improves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.