Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stroh
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my starter kit and two cases of boosters. I haven't played yet. Before I start buying/selling/trading to get the whole set of 64, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice on which ships and planes it is good to have multiples of and how many I should have.

I'm assuming that I will need more than one of most subs and planes but how many and what about the rares? Will I need two Akagis, etc.?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't want to get rid of something I will need later and I don't want to keep something I won't need that I could sell or trade to defray the cost of completing the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely need multiples of all the planes. This will allow you to field large formations. I would advise getting multiples of the subs and destroyers. After that get extras of whatever ships you like. For my collection I got four of each carrier based plane and two of each patrol bomber. I have at least two of all the common and uncommon ships (except for two of the auxiliaries).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course everything will depend on your budget and trading prowess. Before going and buying lots of the fleet ships doubles, check out the historical information on P.36 of the rules. If you decide to play with historical rules (which many league players also abide by) you don't need more than what is allowed historically. For example, you can't use more than one Arc Royal or Akagi under the historical build rules.

As for other doubles, there are some great uncommons to field more than one. For the US fleet, 2-3 Atlanta's are recommended for their great anti-air capability. It's also nice to have 2-3 Catalina's with their loiter ability. If you're fielding a German fleet, I'd avoid Stukas and concentrate on 4 Kondors which is the max that can attack into a single space (stacking rules). They have a great once-per-game stand off ability with rockets that make them worth it. Same with the U510's, I'd go with 4-5 in a set. Their wolfpack ability makes them worth it.

For big battleships, I wouldn't recommend more than one each unless you're playing 300-500 point builds or heavy armor only scenarios. One Iowa, Bismark, Yamato, or Richelieu will eat up a lot of your points so you really don't need more than one. On the other hand, some of the lower cost battleships are nice to have 2 of like the Kongo, Scharnhorst, and Tennessee.

If you build a carrier based fleet, whether US or Japanese, a set of 3 of each plane will give you enough to mix and match a good air attack/defense build.

I started with one starter and 2 cases also and got all but 6 of the rares which I traded or bought online for the full set. With what you have, you'll probably find that there's plenty to build reasonable fleets for either side and field a good battle. There's a few trade threads here at BGG you can look into as well.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j_stroh wrote:
Will I need two Akagis, etc.?

Two Akagis are needed less than other duplicates for two reasons IMHO.

1. There was only one historically, (although with some imagination you could call it something else, like a Kaga).

2. If you need two IJN carriers, you're more likely to use two Shokaku, partially due to the lower point totals. It's hard to find the points for an Akagi plus its three aircraft, nevermind finding room for double.

You may want a second, but not before having a first of nearly everything else. I wouldn't hold onto it for that reason alone.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you want to be a bit more specific than just the numbers listed at the back of the rulebook, I went ahead and looked up the names of other ships in the same class for the cruisers and capital ships. It's available as a file, in the files section here.
It's as accurate as I could make it (with a lot of help from Wikipedia).
Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on if you want to do alternate universe scenarios.

For example there were many ships of hte same class that were completed. Like 3 ships of the Littorio class (VV, Littorio, and Roma) and a 4th Impero that was laid down but never finished. You couls play with 3 and even justify a 4th.

Same goes for the Japs and in the example above. There were 2 Akagi class Battlecruiser laid down, Amagi and Akagi. Amagi was wrecked in an earthquake and her sister was finished as a CV.

I also do RC warship combat and the general rule we use if if the keel was laid down before 1946 you can use the ship. That lets things like Graf Zepplin and Amagi (as a BC!) be legal.

Anyway, at the very least you could get extra ships for classes that had multiples in the war. I.E Bismark, Deutschland, Iowa etc.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kunicki
msg tools
Is it possible to field competitive, evenly balanced fleets with only one of everything?

I want to collect the set (Only three ships away from it...), and that's it. Perhaps I wouldn't mind adding a few more planes, but I am hesitant to get more than one of each ship or submarine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.