$30.00
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was checking out the KS on War Titans: Invaders Must Die!, and I noticed that their robots and monsters, shall I say, "borrow" from other intellectual properties such as Gundam, Macross, Evangelion, Godzilla, and possibly more.
If memory serves me correct, Battletech tried the same thing in their early years with using Macross designs for their mechs, which they were forced to stop using.
Considering that, can these guys expect to release a game that has "copyright infringement" written all over it? Is it safe to back such a KS?
FYI, I love the concept. I've always been a giant mecha anime fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. CMON's Zombicide exclusives are celebrity knock-offs, but *most* have flown under the radar. Mirimax wrote CMON a C&D letter for two of its sculpts, and CMON changed the sculpts. I think, afterwards, CMON avoided making exclusives based on Mirimax-related properties. Dungeon Saga had an exclusive figure based on The Guild, and it was pulled from the KS when The Guild contacted them (?). Outside of boardgames, I've seen Nintendo-related projects pulled from KS. I forgot how the Star Wars ones turned out.

If any of the homages are of Macross, watch out. Harmony Gold doesn't even know what IP it owns and will protect it. : http://kotaku.com/5990702/why-you-havent-seen-any-new-macros...

So is it safe? If it hits retail, I guess. Otherwise, yes, you're taking a risk that your favorite homage may be altered or removed entirely from the game. I've yet to hear of an IP owner halting a project and backers not receiving their funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I am not a lawyer, but some of those miniature designs look too close to the characters they are inspired from. I think they look close enough that the rights holder could easily justify legal action against Crawling Chaos Games forcing the company to either change the designs or waste money fighting a legal battle they likely can't afford. What's worse is that they are using several different IP's as inspiration which increases the potential that one of them will seek legal action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Won't comment on the merits (whether there is infringement or not) but in the past we've seen these sorts Kickstarter projects fly under the radar until they fund.

Pete (subscribes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
There's a straight rip off of Optimus Prime on their campaign page. They are getting shut down, Hasbro/Takara doesn't fuck around.

If they're feeling generous they will send a cease and desist before the campaign funds, if not they will wait until after when they can sue and show actual damages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
And the campaign has been cancelled. They gave a bunch of BS reasons about wanting to incorporate feedback etc. but I think it's pretty clear they received at least one cease and desist (and probably more than one judging by how many popular, well known franchises they were ripping off).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FellintoOblivion wrote:
And the campaign has been cancelled. They gave a bunch of BS reasons about wanting to incorporate feedback etc. but I think it's pretty clear they received at least one cease and desist (and probably more than one judging by how many popular, well known franchises they were ripping off).

Wow. They only give some vague hint at changing the graphics and art.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ccgames/war-titans-inva...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot more fun when they don't have the good sense to fold.

Pete (guesses there's nothing left to see here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g t
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, I'm Gianluca Torrente the lead designer of War Titans: Invaders Must Die!.

We already made a statement about the topic and I am writing you in order to let you know that we never received a C&D of any sort for the game.

We just wanted to listen to our backers suggestions and make a better game for us and for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lovecult wrote:
Hello, I'm Gianluca Torrente the lead designer of War Titans: Invaders Must Die!.

We already made a statement about the topic and I am writing you in order to let you know that we never received a C&D of any sort for the game.

We just wanted to listen to our backers suggestions and make a better game for us and for them.

Do any of those suggestions have to do with not using the intellectual properties of several different companies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's probably covered under "Refining the characters design, thus making it more original and unique"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.