United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9 of the rulebook under sailing it says the following:

"Each turn you have the option to move each of your ships up to its sail value"

If my two ships are on different spaces and for my first action I select sail, can I move both of my ships independently of each other(move one right and one left) with that single sail action or is the above sentence referring to when both ships are on the same space and move together?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
If my two ships are on different spaces and for my first action I select sail, can I move both of my ships independently of each other(move one right and one left) with that single sail action

Yes. (Not some official clarification, but I read the same rule as you and it seems pretty clear.)

Note that your ships can have different speeds (in various ways), so that's one reason (of several) that they might not move together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David is correct. If you read further in the book listed for each guild the text is:

rulebook wrote:
Move each of your ships up to their sail value.

I think the confusion is that in the explanation on page 9 it goes over some of the benefits of the ships being together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why even talk about ships moving together when the benefits are only when they stop moving? (Trading, supporting, etc)

Either way, thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
Then why even talk about ships moving together when the benefits are only when they stop moving? (Trading, supporting, etc)

A natural assumption would be that there could be consequences during movement that depend on whether they are moving together, even if not in the base rules (there are a lot of rules to come, right?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember try not to overthink some of the rules.

Because of the legacy style of the game, sometimes wording in one area of the rulebook will be slightly different than in a different area or sticker. I am not saying that they are contradictory just that you may need to look in multiple places to get the full meaning.

Now with PHG shipping out a good number of the preorders you may have some more friends here asking questions for you and getting some answers. I better get cracking on staying ahead in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, here is a semi-related interesting quote from the designers notes that clarifies an aspect of moving your ships:

Quote:
Before a ship starts its sail action or after it ends its sail action, you are allowed to rearrange what is in its hold provided the ship is at land (not out in the open sea). For example, you could sail back to your home harbor and unload your goods to your warehouse. Or you could move goods between your ships if they are at the same island. One trick is to buy goods on two different islands, then move your first ship to your second ship, transfer the good to the second ship, and then sail the second ship home with both goods. This chaining of sail actions allows a good to go twice as far in one turn than keeping them on their original ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.