34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: ADD/ADHD Friendly Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phoenix Osiris
msg tools
I enjoy playing table top games. However, the biggest issue I have is that 99% of the people (all adults, btw) that come over to my house have either ADD or ADHD. As a result, they only really ever care about the really simple, relatively fast games.

I'm looking for suggestions of games that are of a decent length (IE: an hour or longer), relatively easy to learn, and likely to be interesting enough to maintain the interest of those playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if ADD/ADHD precludes anyone from playing longer games. Although I could see some people getting bored if there is a long rules explanation, or too many fiddly rules and components.

My thoughts are to keep the games short and light, but that's just my opinion.

Incan Gold is fantastic for this purpose.

Also, racing games like Snow Tails, Formula D, or PitchCar could be fun. Any you really only have to pay attention when it is your turn. Pitchcar is also a winner, as it involves dexterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
As the name of the disorders imply, maintaining attention is a challenge, however, people in the ADD and ADHD spectra (they are different things), despite the label, can attend to a task if it is engrossing or immersive, or if they are highly motivated. I don't have specific suggestions because you didn't indicate what kinds of games your group likes to play, but in general, seek out games that have little or no down time, move along and really grab you - either with lots of interaction (be they coop or competitive). For example, heavily thematic games, maybe games with combat (if you like conflict), or strategy games that require people to stay in their "thinking zone" to keep up. ADD/ADHD status should not affect peoples' tolerance for game complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ennio Spione
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any experience with ADD or ADHD, but I was wondering if games with simultaneous turns would be the answer.
There's a lot of options out there and they usually manage to keep the focus on the game, as there aren't many downtimes.
Some valid choices that come to my mind are 7 Wonders, Between two Cities, Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride (choose a map most relevant to your group)
New York 1901
Splendor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that provide 'flow' would be interesting I think, for instance games that are real-time, such as Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker and Escape: The Curse of the Temple.

Real-time is a bgg category so you can search for all games within that category:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1037/real-time

and then you can sort by rank, for instance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think that the best games for the condition would be ones that involve them doing something throughout the game play, ie no or little downtime.
I figure if you have ADD/ADHD, you might get distracted waiting for your turn to come around again. I would want to limit downtime as much as possible

I am thinking games with:
simultaneous play (+1 for incan gold, though it can get boring if you back out too early)
Real time play (+1 for Escape)
Or social games

Coup is about the only game I have familiarity with in the social game sphere. doesn't really last that long, but you may want to look in that area for longer games. Even when it is not your turn you are talking and interacting trying to figure out the moves of the current player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lilithlun wrote:
I don't have any experience with ADD or ADHD, but I was wondering if games with simultaneous turns would be the answer.
There's a lot of options out there and they usually manage to keep the focus on the game, as there aren't many downtimes.
Some valid choices that come to my mind are 7 Wonders, Between two Cities, Race for the Galaxy.

Steampunk Rally - 7 wonders style card drafting to build your racing contraption. Then rolling dice and dice placement to power your machine forward in the race. And everyone does their turns simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmb
I've got ADHD, and I typically play games in the evening, well after my medication has (most likely) worn off. That being said, I generally have no issue at all with games that have downtime on other players' turns. I tend to think about my position/strategy on their turns, or theirs, or whatever. I'm only one person (the very definition of anecdotal evidence), but I don't think it's fair to say that someone with ADHD always needs to be doing something.

Generally, I'd say that impulsivity plays a large role in how I do at games. I find it really tough to plan ahead effectively, and so I'm not as good at strategy games as I think I should be. I tend to make a lot of "gut-driven" decisions, which work out better or worse based more on experience with the game and the quality of my opposition than actual foresight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the people I game with regularly has had the ADD diagnosis for several years. Some games we have enjoyed playing together:

Connect Four fits your "easy to learn" criterion and could be a good filler

Chess -- We played regular Chess, but you could try Bughouse Chess (which plays up to 4 and is pretty fast and crazy).

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game has held his interest because it has character progression, a fantasy setting, and scenarios/villains to beat as a group. (It was inspired by a videogame, and he loves videogames, so that could be part of why he likes it.) I should mention that when playing with another person with ADD, I learned that the game can be frustrating and not hold interest for some people. The game has randomness (as it is a card game) and it is possible for a character to spend most of a scenario failing when attempting to do things. There is sometimes an aspect of one player having a longer turn followed by another player having a pretty short one -- some people find this frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, have you asked your friends what they like? If they don't like any boardgames, what about their other interests?

swheelock wrote:
I've got ADHD, and I typically play games in the evening, well after my medication has (most likely) worn off. That being said, I generally have no issue at all with games that have downtime on other players' turns. I tend to think about my position/strategy on their turns, or theirs, or whatever. I'm only one person (the very definition of anecdotal evidence), but I don't think it's fair to say that someone with ADHD always needs to be doing something.

I second this. I also have ADHD, and frankly, I don't recognise myself in any of the other comments in this thread.

Don't assume that someone with ADHD or ADD will always have a problem with keeping attention. I think that we just have a much lower tolerance for boredom. For me, that might mean that I won't sit quietly bored, but perhaps leave or do something else. Picking up the mobile is a popular escape for a lot of people. It might also mean that I will in fact sit around quietly bored, but I would probably rather die than experience the same thing again.

So to me, the assumption that the games need to be light is just way off the mark. The games need to be interesting and not boring. What's interesting and what's boring is different for every individual, ADD/ADHD or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm no expert, but to me, it seems like playing "quick-light" games is like treating the symptom. Where playing "games of interest" to the person is more like treating the illness.

I know that's not a perfect analogy, but it fits for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what ever is in my top 10 list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both my children (9 and 11) have diagnosed ADHD and the 11 year old has high anxiety. We play a lot of games as a whole. The 9 year old does more solo gaming but my 11 year old and I play whatever we can.

I find while watching them it is less about the length of the game and more about the engagement factor. So if you are trying to play a game with a lot of down time and effective player elimination (or full on player elimination) there are going to be problems. Puzzle style games doe well with us.

Coops are another one that may do well because conversation will stay high.

COOP Games
Pandemic
X-COM (if the theme interests you),
Mysterium

High Engagement games
RA
Sushi Go Party
Royals
For Sale

Party Games
Code Names
Resistance
Spyfall
Deception: Murder in hong kong
Sheriff of Nottingham

By an amazing coincidence all of these games play in less than an hour. The coops being the longest. Most of the rest play in less than 30 minutes (Royals and Sheriff are closer to 45 minutes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen this one suggested, but I think Roll for the Galaxy could fit what you're looking for. The only concern might be the rules, but it didn't take long to teach it to my teenage nephews who are not necessarily ADD/ADHD, but they're teenage boys, so, yeah. All the iconography and rules can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get it play flows really fast and everything is explained on the screens in front of the players. Anyway, it's a fun game and the simultaneous play should help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, I think that the on-and-off pacing of Igo-Yugo games suits ADD wonderfully well, since it provides periods of what non-ADD people think of as "daydreaming" (I prefer to think of it as "integration of already-received information") in between periods of intense thought--of which ADD people are no less capable than anybody else, and maybe more so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I haven't seen this one suggested, but I think Roll for the Galaxy could fit what you're looking for. The only concern might be the rules, but it didn't take long to teach it to my teenage nephews who are not necessarily ADD/ADHD, but they're teenage boys, so, yeah. All the iconography and rules can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get it play flows really fast and everything is explained on the screens in front of the players. Anyway, it's a fun game and the simultaneous play should help.

I left out Roll because of the learning curve (depends on the experience of the players. I taught it to some this week and it was no problem. Other times it's been half the game before it clicked for them). Either way yes I agree. Good game for ADD/ADHD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
Soleia wrote:

I left out Roll because of the learning curve (depends on the experience of the players. I taught it to some this week and it was no problem. Other times it's been half the game before it clicked for them). Either way yes I agree. Good game for ADD/ADHD

Yes, it really depends on the people you're teaching. I've had varying levels of success with it. Often I like to just throw people into a game, especially if I know they have some gaming knowledge. A good way to go in this case may be giving a brief explanation then playing a couple open practice rounds and teach during that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1830: Railways & Robber Barons
1846: The Race for the Midwest
18NY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:

For anyone not aware this is humor. these are the exact games you should avoid. very cool games but very long, very heavy, very mathy and depending on the group very dry.

I made it through 18?? recently but at this point in my life I am able to handle my ADHD well on most days. Although I will admit I missed 40% of the rules and had to learn on the fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sancmat wrote:
MisplacedWorker wrote:

For anyone not aware this is humor. these are the exact games you should avoid. very cool games but very long, very heavy, very mathy and depending on the group very dry.

I made it through 18?? recently but at this point in my life I am able to handle my ADHD well on most days. Although I will admit I missed 40% of the rules and had to learn on the fly.

Not humor. In my experience, mentally challenging games like 18xx are best for people with ADHD.

Was 18?? your first 18xx game? That might be the problem. I haven't played it but I have played 1870, which it is derived from, and that's not really a beginner's 18xx game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
sancmat wrote:
MisplacedWorker wrote:

Not humor. In my experience, mentally challenging games like 18xx are best for people with ADHD.

Was 18?? your first 18xx game? That might be the problem. I haven't played it but I have played 1870, which it is derived from, and that's not really a beginner's 18xx game.

Really? Those are some seriously long games for that. I will give it the engaging factor. You are thinking constantly.

As a side note I think I did well. It was my first 18xx game. I had a strong second place finish and pissed off one of the other guys with my moves. about half way through the game I stopped taking advice for good or bad and went with my gut. That did not include playing nice. The group that taught me have played every week for years so they did a good job teaching (I think as I had clearly spaced out some rules).

I stand corrected. If those are easier/shorter than 18?? I back your recommendation with the caveat that they will not meet the "really simple relatively fast" request in the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic and Dungeon Roll are popular and for the older crowd the action selection system in Tiny Epic Kingdoms keeps everyone entertained no matter whose turn it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
my teenage nephews who are not necessarily ADD/ADHD, but they're teenage boys, so, yeah

Wow. You do know ADD and ADHD are diagnoses, right?

That's like saying "I'm not necessarily paralysed from the waist down, but I did step on a piece of lego yesterday, so, yeah"…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenikkusu wrote:
I enjoy playing table top games. However, the biggest issue I have is that 99% of the people (all adults, btw) that come over to my house have either ADD or ADHD. As a result, they only really ever care about the really simple, relatively fast games.

I'm looking for suggestions of games that are of a decent length (IE: an hour or longer), relatively easy to learn, and likely to be interesting enough to maintain the interest of those playing.

So do you know they have ADD or ADHD or are you thinking "the way they act is in a cliche way that I have heard that people like that act." Saying someone has ADHD is not a casual way of saying "he is full of energy and a bit unfocused", but instead is an actual real medical diagnosis. (The casual use of ADHD, Autistic, OCD, or Depression to mean something trivial is rife and problematic on these board and the internet in general).

ADHD doesn't necessarily hamper people from playing games; I know because my adult brother (who is not a board gamer) will learn and play games when he visits. His issues arise more during long rules explanations, but I find many games have enough changes in focus that he can stay overall focused for the whole game. In most situations in games (and in life in general) his ADHD does not come up as an issue.

Like others have said, ADD/ADHD are not hindrances to playing games. What might be going on (more likely, in my estimation) is that MOST people aren't gamers (and never will be) and don't like longer games, and these people probably fall within "most people"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.