Jason Vicente

Avon
Connecticut
msg tools
badge
If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played several hidden movement games (Specter Ops, Fury of Dracula (third edition) and Nuns on the Run) we reached a consensus that though some of us may enjoy the theme of Specter Ops a little bit better, Letters from Whitechapel was the superior game. Why? In Specter Ops your entry and exit points are predetermined. Your job is to fulfill the objectives without getting caught. In Letters from Whitechapel Jack plans his entry point (where he murders each of the wretched on any given turn) and his destination (the hideout he selects at the beginning of the game). Thus, you have two stages of interesting cat and mouse taking place every turn in a wonderfully produced game that places the historical details of the Jack the Ripper murders into a board game. An extraordinary achievement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you should try AEG's Ninja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:

I tried it, and immediately ran into problems with it. Not in the same league as LfW in my book. The original version of The Fury of Dracula is also a great game; far better than what FFG subsequently turned it into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Letters from Whitechapel, but the fun depends a lot on who's on the inspector team. If one person takes over, the others are basically watching a 1v1 game. In that respect, a game like Nuns on the Run is a bit easier on the players because everybody is working for themselves. The tension in LfW is top notch, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my number one game right now. Granted, the difficulty I have getting it to the table may be inflating it's current rank, but I do love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new game about a horror movie summer campground that has similar mechanics. The name escapes me at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
There is a new game about a horror movie summer campground that has similar mechanics. The name escapes me at the moment.

Last Friday
Sucks that it's getting delayed until November, or so I've read - I was really looking forward to playing this one in time for Halloween.

Out of the ones OP listed, that I've also played, I fall back to Letters From Whitechapel. Love the theme and it isn't over complicated, though Fury of Dracula is a close second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
Myoman wrote:

Last Friday
Sucks that it's getting delayed until November, or so I've read - I was really looking forward to playing this one in time for Halloween.

Out of the ones OP listed, that I've also played, I fall back to Letters From Whitechapel. Love the theme and it isn't over complicated, though Fury of Dracula is a close second.

Reviews for Last Friday have been mixed. I was excited about it, but decided to get Specter Ops instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely my favorite of the genre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dunno if I'd say best HIDDEN MOVEMENT...

but it's one of the best theme games and arguably the BEST 'chase' game out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ppayes wrote:
I dunno if I'd say best HIDDEN MOVEMENT...

Which one would you place before LfW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one or two games each of:

Letters from Whitechapel
Fury of Dracula
Nuns on the Run
Scotland Yard
Mr Jack (does that count?)

And that is the order that I liked them most. I didn't care for Mr Jack (can't even remember much about that one) but the other four were good. There is another one called Garibaldi that I'd like to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratches wrote:
There is another one called Garibaldi that I'd like to try.

You should also try Mr. Jack in NY and Specter Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Normiyagi wrote:

I tried it, and immediately ran into problems with it. Not in the same league as LfW in my book. The original version of The Fury of Dracula is also a great game; far better than what FFG subsequently turned it into.

Look what you've made me buy! It's all your fault!

I like the second edition FWIW, but I'll have to try this one now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland Yard Swiss Edition is my favourite. It's 20-45 minutes of the intense thrill of the chase. A little more rules overhead than Scotland Yard, but not enough to dilute the feeling of either being the slippery fugitive, or one of the tenacious hounds bearing down upon their quarry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Normiyagi wrote:

Look what you've made me buy! It's all your fault!

I like the second edition FWIW, but I'll have to try this one now

That pleases me immensely. If it gives you a fraction of the pleasure it has given me over the years, you'll be very happy indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
Scotland Yard Swiss Edition is my favourite. It's 20-45 minutes of the intense thrill of the chase. A little more rules overhead than Scotland Yard, but not enough to dilute the feeling of either being the slippery fugitive, or one of the tenacious hounds bearing down upon their quarry.

Now there's one I may have to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:

It's basically Michael Schacht and others re-doing the base set. The only two additions in a full game (there are modifications for less than 6) are a. Mr. X can regenerate x2 tickets if he is at a ski chalet (note, he doesn't have to say which one), and b. at certain points during the game, the Swiss set up roadblocks, slowly trapping in Mr. X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
Sphere wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:

It's basically Michael Schacht and others re-doing the base set. The only two additions in a full game (there are modifications for less than 6) are a. Mr. X can regenerate x2 tickets if he is at a ski chalet (note, he doesn't have to say which one), and b. at certain points during the game, the Swiss set up roadblocks, slowly trapping in Mr. X.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that's enough variance for me to buy it. Thanks for the additional info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:
Sphere wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:

Hmmm. I'm not sure that's enough variance for me to buy it. Thanks for the additional info!

Yeah, the minor changes are not worth the headache of hunting this bad boy down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Welch
United Kingdom
Morton in Marsh
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shameless plug

I am trying to get toget a list of all the hidden movement games and this is what I have so far;

N/A

I have written a quick personal opinion thought about each. Although I do need to do some work on it as I have a number of place holders where I need to either get round to playing the game or get round to writing a description!

As far as letters is concerned, yes I think it is one of the strongest hidden movement games. Garibaldi is different and also a good game, far better than its time on the table would suggest and shorter than letters.

I'm not sure what I would consider my fravourate, letters can suffer from the alpha gamer issue where as some of the others discourage that sort of play style. As a two player letters is one of the best however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
nicidemas wrote:
Shameless plug

I am trying to get toget a list of all the hidden movement games and this is what I have so far;

Looks like you meant this one?

Hidden Movement Games List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.