Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had an interest in this game that's been building since it came out. But I've watched reviews and playthroughs and I honestly can't tell if this game is for me. It seems awesome. But it also kind of seems...samey?

I've played a dexterity game like this before (Ascending Empires) and I enjoy that game a lot. This one is quite different in a lot of ways. I think one part I'm struggling with is the apparent lack of depth in the game. It appears that you're just setting up your men and you just have a shootout and try to flick bullets at each other until the last man standing. Is that it?

For people that love this game, what is it that enthralls you? What are the high-five moments that keep you coming back for more. And what is your ideal player count for the game. Thanks in advance for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't think I'd ever pull this game out with all adults. I play it 1 vs 1 with my daughter and we play it 3 vs 3 with my wife, my daughter and our neighbors who have a daughter the same age. It is fun but there's not enough there for a group of adults.

There are however, missions that include things like having to prevent a bank robbery (or rob the bank depending on what side you're on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There are scenarios so you are doing different things besides just shooting. There is some strategies in how you go about setting up your guys, if you need to hide in buildings. The two more recent ones we played were expansion related but we had to identify (by shooting) two marked men. Another was setting fire to documents so we had to run back and get fire and the other side was getting water. So a lot more going on.

I don't think playing with the full 5 on a side is as much fun as 3 on 3. It can get long sitting around waiting for your one turn and last player is always locked in on one guy left. With 3, it seems a good rotation where most of the team has two shots and everyone has more options.

Our high-five moments are the incredibly lucky shot from halfway across the table or the miss two inches in front. Duels also can be entertaining.

The base game can be a bit lacking since each scenario is building up the rules. I think the expansions take it to a new level with the things that could be done. There are enough examples that you could start building your own scenarios to something that suits your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
There are enough examples that you could start building your own scenarios to something that suits your group.

I think that's what intrigues me most about the game is the sandbox nature of it. I'm always creating new variants for games so this may be the biggest selling point for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I bought this game because it went up to 10 players and I thought it would be great for my monthly game night. It ended up being terrible with 10 players, because everyone was just sitting around waiting, and when their turn came up, they did 2 flicks and that was it.

It is fun with smaller player counts, but compared to some other dexterity games, it is somewhat "samey". Had I played Catacombs before playing this, I would not have bought it. As it is, the main reason I am keeping it is because my 2 kids are going to be old enough to enjoy it in a couple of years, so I'm sure it will get put to good use at that point, but I don't know that I'll play it more than once or twice with my friends. We'd all rather play catacombs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
I bought this game because it went up to 10 players and I thought it would be great for my monthly game night. It ended up being terrible with 10 players, because everyone was just sitting around waiting, and when their turn came up, they did 2 flicks and that was it.

It is fun with smaller player counts, but compared to some other dexterity games, it is somewhat "samey". Had I played Catacombs before playing this, I would not have bought it. As it is, the main reason I am keeping it is because my 2 kids are going to be old enough to enjoy it in a couple of years, so I'm sure it will get put to good use at that point, but I don't know that I'll play it more than once or twice with my friends. We'd all rather play catacombs.

Hm...looks like Catacombs is out of print. I did like the look of that game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
markblasco wrote:

Hm...looks like Catacombs is out of print. I did like the look of that game as well.

We are well along in the process of getting Catacombs 3E (our dexterity based dungeon crawl) reprinted along with the new Catacombs & Castles title which offers team vs team dexterity action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
aronwest wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:
markblasco wrote:

We are well along in the process of getting Catacombs 3E (our dexterity based dungeon crawl) reprinted along with the new Catacombs & Castles title which offers team vs team dexterity action.

I think the Catacombs and Castles team v team mode is going to completely replace Flick Em Up for me.

That's not to say that Flick Em Up is not a well designed game. It has great components, and for some people it's an amazing game. For me, it just was too casual for my gamers, but too long when played casually.

We thought about doing a variant with Flick Em Up where both teams went at the same time. You'd count down from 3, and at 0, one person on each team would do their thing. This would make things really interesting if you were shooting at someone else who was moving. I haven't tried it yet, though, and probably won't ever get around to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.