Subject: Gaming Fiction! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Paul
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Hey folks! I've started a list of books of fiction I've read that heavily involve analogue gaming (or gaming elements). Care to add to the list?
I'm trying to focus on books that would fall into general fiction and less-so into fantasy etc. (and i.e. ideally not novelizations of Shadowrun or D&D), but if you love one and want to add it that's cool. I'd love to read some of those too.

Here's my list! :

1) Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart
https://www.amazon.ca/Dice-Man-Luke-Rhinehart/dp/0879518642?...
2) The Master of Go - Yasunari Kawabata
https://www.amazon.ca/Master-Go-Yasunari-Kawabata/dp/0679761...
3) The Universal Baseball Association - Robert Coover
https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Baseball-Association-Henry-W...

and I guess 4) Hikaru No Go (Manga series) - Yumi Hotta & Takeshi Obata
https://www.amazon.ca/Hikaru-no-Go-Vol-1/dp/159116222X?tag=a...

Please do add! Please do comment!

meeplemeeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
There is the book of dibs, often wrongly attributed to mabby, but since no one has taken the bait, I am forced to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
shake "Gaming Fiction" in 'moi' Chit Chat!?!
cry ~"Sweet Taboo-boo-hoo!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Lust
Belgium
Ieper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schachnovelle (Chess Story) by Stefan Zweig?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Player of Games by Iain Banks. It's actually been so long since I've read this book that I can't remember what it entails in detail (there are games but I don't know about analog games). Might fit though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Player of Games by Iain Banks. It's actually been so long since I've read this book that I can't remember what it entails in detail (there are games but I don't know about analog games). Might fit though.

Fits. Came to post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
There is the book of dibs, often wrongly attributed to mabby, but since no one has taken the bait, I am forced to.

ninja

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The tragedy! Nothing is new...

There's a pretty good geeklist - Books Which Include Games

I can't remember why the Rhinehart book was omitted - possibly because the dice game isn't a game between players? Not sure if that matters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheel of Time mentions people playing Snakes and Foxes and Stones. I think Stones is pretty close to Go.

But it doesn't really go into detail, and the books don't center around them like Player of Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto Bolano
The Third Reich

The playing of the AH classic Rise and Decline of the Third Reich is the thread holding the plot together. Really great book! (I read an english translation)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"One major sign of the decline of Western civilization is the devaluation of 'family jewels' to mere 'junk'."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
The tragedy! Nothing is new...

There's a pretty good geeklist - Books Which Include Games

Nobody read geeklists anymore!

Thanks for promoting my old geeklist I started six years ago! It's up to 84 books now, although I think there's a couple of duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.