Subject: Next Release rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Now that Trederra has gone retail, what are the next scheduled releases for SOB?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the rest of my Kickstarter pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Derelict Ship

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the guys playing in the Derelict Ship demo at Gen Con. Obviously, we didn't search the entire Otherworld but from what I've seen its fairly complete. We spent about 2 Hours playing it, with Jason running it personally (this is an experience I recommend - the Hill bros.' excitement and passion are highly contagious); 5 or so tiles came down and we fought some Necronaughts and some floaty Robo Drones (which are pretty shnasty btw). There were production-quality Artifacts, Encounters, everything you would expect from a nearly finished expansion. The theme is great - there is just something about a prospector in a full space-suit hangin' on to the door-frame with his pickaxe while everything else on the tile gets sucked out of the airlock.

It's focused a lot more on Sanity Damage; this is very good, as Sanity in its current incarnation feels a bit like air: only important when you're about to run out. It also fits the theme pretty well since you would expect that being in space would weigh heavily upon Victorian-Age psyches. The Ship (named The Vostros, which probably didn't take off from Targa) is also interconnected to its robot drones; every time you kill one the Ship freaks out and does awful stuff to you (alarms, flailing hoses, broken metal falling on you, etc).

There are metal duct grates that can exist on any tile which act like Corpse Piles, except anything can crawl out of them (and I don't think they're technically an Enemy, which could change with the final print, I suppose). In their current incarnation, you have use a skill test or an explosive to seal them or collapse the duct. There are mine tiles on the other side as per usual (although the Blasted Wastes Otherworld tiles do NOT, surprise!) and most of the shapes are unique (perfect circles for ship hydroponics, etc)

It was pretty dang cool.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Did you get to experience any of the odd-shaped rooms (like the circular ones)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No - they didn't come up

- Jee

EDIT: The final room was a circle hydroponics room. Thanks Solan for reminding me. A lot started happening once that room hit the board; the details must've slipped my mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
No - they didn't come up

- Jee

Wait, weren't we in a circular room when we fought the last three BEACON Droids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:
No - they didn't come up

- Jee

Wait, weren't we in a circular room when we fought the last three BEACON Droids?

Ah yes! That's right. Technically we did enjoy a quick stay cool before we blew everything up.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Did the room felt any different, or was it just "meh, it's a room".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:
Did the room felt any different, or was it just "meh, it's a room".

Clearly, I was more focused on the killer robots. It was cool to see it all laid out tho; near-perfect circles don't exist in mine caverns so it definitely adds to the theme. You get the feeling that you're somewhere man-made, and that subtle context is compelling and affects your internal narrative. Plus the art is gorgeous (feel the Might of Mograine!) and after stumbling through corridors of cold metallics and stark angles, it was a cool contrast to suddenly have this tile that's totally round, with verdant greens and bright fluorescent light artwork.

And then Robots attacked us, reducing whatever passing appreciation we had to a more primal "oh God oh God we're all gonna die."

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
We spent about 2 Hours playing it, with Jason running it personally (this is an experience I recommend - the Hill bros.' excitement and passion are highly contagious)

I can attest to this!

At PAX, I hit up the FFP booth on Friday. I spent the better part of an hour chatting with Scott Hill. He recognized me from FB (had commented on their PAX post) and recognized my BGG name. We went through all the preview stuff together and traded stories of epic SoB adventures. I asked if they had any of the really new stuff there and he didn't, but said he'd ask Jason to bring it later.

Sunday, I returned to the booth. This time Jason was there, and he had the new stuff. I spent nearly an hour going through everything with him. He showed me the Derelict Ship, Blasted Wastes, Canyon map tiles, all the new monsters (Other World and mission packs), and the still-to-come heroes (Wandering Samurai, Gambler, Shaman).

So I spent almost as much time as I did money at the FFP booth, chatting with Scott and Jason.

Inspector Jee wrote:
It was pretty dang cool.

I agree with this too! The Derelict Ship sounds really fun. So does everything else. But it did make me realize my current storage solution will be incredibly inadequate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.