Subject: The mandatory expansion speculation thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the figure and tile packs out, along with their respective scenarios in the app, I think it's time we start speculating on what new content we should expect in the coming months.

Would FFG take the game to more un-mansion-ish locations like the Mountains of Madness, the Dreamlands or maybe through a portal to Yuggoth? Or would they stay grounded and expand with more mundane locations like the Miskatonic University, a monastery, some underground temples or a hospital/asylum (which would be a bit redundant with some of the lab and ward like locations we already got)?

Or maybe they'd go the Descent route (see their recent announcement) and offer in-app purchase of a linked campaign which uses the tiles and monsters we already got.

Frankly, we already got almost all notable Lovecraftian monsters, 24 investigators with various skill point distribution combinations, and tiles to cover many different types of stories. So I'm expecting we'll be seeing mostly in-app purchases of new stories and scenarios (hopefully a longer, multi-scenario campaign) and the occasional tile pack (plus a free scenario to go with it).

So what do you think? Please speculate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Small monster-investigator packs, with new story. I hope later on the new content will be included in the first four scenario as well.

I hope they will give us a few more stories for the two repacked expansions, not just one-one, cause many people here are angry for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it definitely needs more..the base game was high on quality but very short on quantity for the amount of money it cost us!
possibly a free campaign or something like that on the app would makes us feel better.but I know a lot of people especially the ones who got the first edition think that this version was very light on actual game content missions etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
mbmbmb
tootz wrote:
it definitely needs more..the base game was high on quality but very short on quantity for the amount of money it cost us!
possibly a free campaign or something like that on the app would makes us feel better.but I know a lot of people especially the ones who got the first edition think that this version was very light on actual game content missions etc.

I mean, they HAVE to release something on Halloween, right? It would just be close to reckless if they didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruenherz wrote:

I mean, they HAVE to release something on Halloween, right? It would just be close to reckless if they didn't.

I'd bet a new scenario in the app (I'm sure they're working on at least few more!) or an announcement for a new expansion ...or both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Gruenherz wrote:
tootz wrote:

You'd think, but I assumed if they did they'd preview it at Arkham Nights, but there's no sign of that happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grünherz

Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
msg tools
mbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
You'd think, but I assumed if they did they'd preview it at Arkham Nights, but there's no sign of that happening.

Who knows. It's still a week and a half to Arkham Nights and then another two weeks until Halloween. Maybe they're still testing it or something. A man can dream, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they release a couple free scenarios and then start releasing scenarios that can be purchased in the app. Also each year, maybe they can release 1 or 2 small expansions that add 1 scenario, a couple new tiles and 1 or 2 new monsters. I would also like to see a few need items/spells in these small expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good thing about the app-based scenarios model is that they can actually release something as soon as they decide after they announce it. So we can actually expect a surprise scenario at any point (even at Arkham Nights). That'd be nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spikey Spike
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that they will release something before the end of the year, but I suppose that testing and developing app scenarios is much more difficult than it was before for printed ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Välimäki
msg tools
I would like to see a campaign consisting numerous sceanarios where investigators could evolve in the same way they do in Imperial Assault. So you would get experience points and/or new abilities, perhaps they could keep the items they've discovered etc.

I know I'm asking a lot and the price tag would be millions of dollars. Still, I think the campaign mode would really add additional theme to this fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
I think we can be pretty safe to assume that new scenario's will be released without boxed contents. This i assume from having played all scenarios several times and having the following observations.

Persons of Interest
Spoiler (click to reveal)
3 of the four persons that were in the conversion kit, is not used at all in any of the 6 scenarios. The only way they might be used is if they are used when some specific event happens. Which i havent seen.

Monsters
This one is a bit weaker, but in all my playthroughs i have yet to see a couple of monsters, with the Dark Young being the most notable. Other monsters include the Nightgaunts, the Crawling Ones and the Hounds of Tindaloos, but guess especially the 3 small monsters might appear in the cycle of eternity or the shattered bonds. However i have a hard time seeing which of the current 6 scenarios the dark young should appear in, since it did not appear in the Sentinel Hill scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm absolutely sure we'll see more in-app content with just the existing physical components soon. Some of them can be reused a lot, many were barely used and as Drakthalos said some are not used at all. Basically we've got this nice playhouse kit with enough stuff to create many different stories without adding any new components for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iffo wrote:
Yeah, I'm absolutely sure we'll see more in-app content with just the existing physical components soon. Some of them can be reused a lot, many were barely used and as Drakthalos said some are not used at all. Basically we've got this nice playhouse kit with enough stuff to create many different stories without adding any new components for a while.

Yes, there are more than enough tiles, monsters, allies and investigators - especially as some of them do not seem to be used in the existing scenarios. Please no more of any of these until there are more scenarios. For a later expansion I would like a few extra insanity cards as it would enable players to leave out a few of the ones they may not like. Other than that - just to reiterate - I'd like extra scenarios rather than yet more room tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:
I think we can be pretty safe to assume that new scenario's will be released without boxed contents. This i assume from having played all scenarios several times and having the following observations.

Persons of Interest
3 of the four persons that were in the conversion kit, is not used at all in any of the 6 scenarios. The only way they might be used is if they are used when some specific event happens. Which i havent seen.

Monsters
This one is a bit weaker, but in all my playthroughs i have yet to see a couple of monsters, with the Dark Young being the most notable. Other monsters include the Nightgaunts, the Crawling Ones and the Hounds of Tindaloos, but guess especially the 3 small monsters might appear in the cycle of eternity or the shattered bonds. However i have a hard time seeing which of the current 6 scenarios the dark young should appear in, since it did not appear in the Sentinel Hill scenario.

I had a dark young spawn in the last Cycle of Eternity game that we played. Also had the night gaunt and crawling one spawn in other games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Drakthalos wrote:

While I think you're correct, I don't think it follows from your argument.

The two 'expansions' released so far were just reprinting old stuff, and it does seem they were done to avoid any complaining from those that didn't have 1E that they couldn't get the 'complete package'. They're not great value for money unless you really love the minis, and with one scenario each they're not going to sell that well.

So I genuinely don't expect any future scenarios to require them - but they will of course have alternative layouts and monsters for if you own them. I still think we'll get one or two new scenarios for free, but those will require nothing more than the base box. But this of course rules out any big wilderness or lab-based scenarios.

And because of that I do think we'll get a wilderness themed boxed expansion, with tiles similar to CotW, with the 1E tiles being used to provide significant map variants. I can even imagine a similar lab one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
So I genuinely don't expect any future scenarios to require them - but they will of course have alternative layouts and monsters for if you own them. I still think we'll get one or two new scenarios for free, but those will require nothing more than the base box. But this of course rules out any big wilderness or lab-based scenarios.

Why not. The beauty of this business model is that they can release a scenario requiring a specific expansion since it is on a smaller scale (app). Big box expansions requiring others are harder as it's hard to justify another $40-50 purchase to use the new one. An in game purchase or a free scenario add on is not as bad however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruenherz wrote:
tootz wrote:

It would be nice if they did, but I feel that on the heels of releasing the two expansion it is too soon.

FFG might even rationalize that since it is so close to Halloween already, these two packs WERE for Halloween...

PS- I would like to see a Pickman's Model scenario- something short and interesting. I guess they would need to release at least one or two tiles- an art studio and a basement tile with a opening in the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
volnon wrote:

PS- I would like to see a Pickman's Model scenario- something short and interesting. I guess they would need to release at least one or two tiles- an art studio and a basement tile with a opening in the floor.

The current Gallery (1st edition) and Basement tiles would work fine. The rooms are generic. They often have features not depicted in the artwork or a theme slightly off from the one depicted (for example, the hallway and small bedrooms in 'Escape from Innsmouth' being used to represent a hotel). So the Gallery could double up as a studio. They only need use totally new tiles for 'rooms' totally different to the ones they already have.

I don't think they like to do scenarios directly based on an existing story anyway. There's the potential to do a 'Colour Out of Space' scenario with the Call of the Wild tiles: you have the old well, surrounding forest, pigpen, scarecrow, barn, rotted porch, the tower room for inside the house. I believe they have a Colour Out of Space miniature in their Arkham line.

I would like to see something similar to 'Classroom Curses' in 1st edition; with the range of tiles they have now they could do a really good girl's school and dorms: numerous bedrooms, ballroom, lounge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
I would like to see something similar to 'Classroom Curses' in 1st edition; with the range of tiles they have now they could do a really good girl's school and dorms: numerous bedrooms, ballroom, lounge.

Only if it's fun to play which classroom curses was not. We should also bring back Green eyed boy so a whole new generation can open the freezer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
vincentdante wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Only if it's fun to play which classroom curses was not. We should also bring back Green eyed boy so a whole new generation can open the freezer

Sure, I'm not suggesting they totally recreate the scenario, just that the same thematic setting could be done really well now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
I would like to see the Lost in time and space story from Forbidden Alchemy.
That story has a lot of potential, what only a good app could manage.

For instance, when the players travel through time, all the objects should disappear, and should be replaced with other stuffs.
Therefore there would be a great discovery in every timeline, not just cross-locks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Bastion wrote:
I would like to see the Lost in time and space story from Forbidden Alchemy.
That story has a lot of potential, what only a good app could manage.

For instance, when the players travel through time, all the objects should disappear, and should be replaced with other stuffs.
Therefore there would be a great discovery in every timeline, not just cross-locks.

I suggested that in another thread. There's so much potential for a time travelling scenario now they have the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.