Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is just a rant because yesterday we played the november game of pandemic legacy in German and lost terribly twice. then we moved on to december and realized that a lot of the dossier doors haven't been opened yet. so we dig through all the legacy cards and looked if we might have missed something - no, everything correct! there was still a box inside with the number 7? There’s a card that says to scratch it off if you’ve not opened box 6 and 7. so we went to boardgame geek and had to find out that it is a translation or typing error and should read or!

come on!!! really? I do understand that there are some/many typing/translation mistakes in boardgames (rules/card text/ etc.) but in a legacy game where the whole game experience get screwed over by such accidents!!

up till now we had a great time but now we all have a very bad taste in our mouth and are not going to play december because there is no point in doing so - no possibillity to win it!

I wonder if more people had such an experience or only us because we were not constantly checking BGG for online erratas. we just wanted to play the game!

a dissapointed gamer

Edit:
IF You Want to Know where the error occurs it's the card with the number LS53V of the German Edition. In the Spoiler Box i put the wording of the Card as is and as should be in my point of view!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
card wording:
Die Zeit wird knapp!
Kratzt diese Karte frei, wenn ihr bis jetzt weder Paket 6 noch Paket 7 geöffnet habt.

Translation in my Point of view should be:
Kratzt diese Karte frei, wenn ihr bis jetzt Paket 6 und Paket 7 nicht geöffnet habt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exact same thing happened to us with this same error in the German version. It really destroyed the last few games for us and I hope it will not repeat in the next Season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the frustration here, and I'm sorry it happened to you; I wish publishers were more careful about these kinds of things.

I've actually heard of people getting the English version wrong too, and it comes down to the fact that there are multiple ways to parse "not x or y" in natural language. It can either mean 'NOT x OR NOT y', or it can mean 'NOT (x OR y)' - and the two are actually different things. The same applies to "not x and y". So neither the English original or the German translation is actually clear in this case, and more generally this form of statement should not be used without further clarification.

This is something publishers really need to look out for, and as you point out, it's especially relevant for these sorts of legacy games. These kinds of statements can easily be written more explicitly: "If either box 6 or box 7 (or both) are unopened...", for example, is unambiguous. Clear wording should be used every time, and it's unfortunate that it isn't; I think part of the problem is that it doesn't sometimes occur to people that others might have different interpretations to their own (or worse, they do recognise the ambiguity but insist that their way is right and so use the wording anyway).

Again, sorry that this happened to you. Hopefully someone will take notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this is the reason, I just wonder how the translation could be done without raising that question? If the English wording is already unclear, wouldn't the person doing the translation ask clarifying questions before assuming something that might be incorrect? This would not just help to translate correctly, it would also make the designers aware of a potential issue there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
I agree that this is the reason, I just wonder how the translation could be done without raising that question? If the English wording is already unclear, wouldn't the person doing the translation ask clarifying questions before assuming something that might be incorrect? This would not just help to translate correctly, it would also make the designers aware of a potential issue there.

My guess was that they were aware of it, and that the "and" was a misguided attempt to fix it. But that's speculation that may well be unwarranted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all you said that it is sometimes hard to translate rules from one language to another and get the exact same meaning but in games where such a mistake can destroy the whole game experience which can't be repeated is a major oversight on the publishers/designers or translators part and shouldn't happen at all.

according to season 2 (if there will be one?) I'm not sure I'll buy it not because the game is not good we really enjoyed it but if you take away the ending it's not worth playing. nobody would watch a movie where they just leave out the ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real kicker here is that, since you can't open box 7 before opening box 6, a good alternate wording would be "if you have not opened box 7, scratch this card".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that most translators don't get a physical copy during translation process. They have never played the game, only know it from reading the rules.
There are a ton of nuances in rules and cards text you can only understand the importance of if you played the game a couple of times.
That's why I refuse to translate games I don't have a copy of.

This error you mention really sucks.
Pitty to hear that this great gaming experience ended in such a disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The production process for Pandemic Legacy will have been very involved, and probably managed for several languages simultaneously. Actually, we know that to be the case because of all the people who found the occasional foreign-language component in their English edition.

So this sets me thinking: it would be fascinating to know what the prototypes looked like for Pandemic Legacy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Michael, I'd like to apologize for this error. We've since reworded this card in the English edition (making it easier to understand) and have fixed the translation in the German edition. I know this is little comfort to you, but please know that we've learned a lot from our experience with Season 1 and have applied those lessons to Season 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt,
Thanks for replying to my thread. Well, you're right, it is little comfort but good to know that this mistake didn't go unnoticed. Concerning Season 2 I guess I'll pass or wait on the second print to be sure I'll get the whole experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
I've said it before and I'll say it again: we always checked all the FAQs and errata before starting a month and I'm glad we did. But since this meant we had to use a computer for the briefing anyway, I think season 2 should at least optionally use an app for this that is always up to date with the latest errata.

At the very least, the game should provide a leaflet with a link to all the relevant errata pages and should encourage you to use it. Our (german) version only had three small errata printed out on a piece of paper and none of the heavy mistakes were there. Also no mention of checking for further errata. This is irresponsible for a game like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Jonas
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see any misunderstandings in the german translation. For me the german translation is just fine and much more accurate than the suggested alternative...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
The suggested alternative above is not clear. However the original translation was completely wrong. Maybe you have a revised version?

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The card should be scratched open if one of boxes 6 and 7 is still closed but the translation said to only scratch it open if both are still closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.