Hide
14 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Pre-order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
You Win
msg tools
Just wondering, why not do pre-order, it is good for both the user and Riot right?

Players do not need to wait for next print if they miss out, and Riot do not need to be afraid of printing too many of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I've seen a Riot person post that once the first 15k have sold out, it will automatically transition to pre-orders for the December 15k batch, and then to a pre-order for future print runs.

[Edit] Haven't found the post I was thinking of yet, but this one is even more relevant than the information I was thinking of:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23804801#23804801

[Edit 2] Still not the post I was originally thinking of, but the second (i.e. second from bottom) post made by this person on Reddit contains 50% of the information I was looking for:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Riot_Snalf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the rush of ordering builds hype which help sells it. Same with EB on a big ks. They are just running a great marketing campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LegendWing wrote:
Just wondering, why not do pre-order, it is good for both the user and Riot right?

Players do not need to wait for next print if they miss out, and Riot do not need to be afraid of printing too many of it.

Yeah, Legend Wing, that's a fair point. I ultimately made the call to not do pre-orders and - while it might have been the wrong call - I'd like to talk you through my mindset when I made the decision.

Pre-orders have kind of developed a bad reputation in the video game community, at least here at Riot. (That's not to say we won't ever do pre-orders in the future, but only when we think it makes the most sense for players.) In my eyes, they tend to reduce risk for the publisher at the expense of a player's wallet.

When we announced MvM, the goal was to provide as much context as we could around the actual game. We didn't want reviewers to rush out with their initial thoughts without having enough time to actually play the game. Our fear there was that the reviews would only be speaking to the components or price-point, and we'd be 'selling' people on production value rather than the actual gameplay. So we made the call to let reviewers sit with the game for a bit and have time to play it before they put up a review. That felt the most player focused to me.

In that same vein, I wanted players to be able to digest that content before they felt like they were being pushed to immediately commit to a purchase. Some people might have watched the Man vs Meeple or Dice Tower reviews, felt like they had all the info they needed, and then just quickly made their decision based off that. But I know for me, I like the opportunity to do my research before I commit to a purchase. I think that's the more responsible way to evaluate a big ticket purchase and it raises my confidence that I'm getting something I won't later regret. With that goal in mind, we chose to get the word out about MvM a few weeks before we put it on sale. That way there wasn't a scramble to get your order in before you knew if the game was really for you or your gaming group. You were buying based on context instead of hype.

I know pre-orders are more common place in the boardgame industry - and I think a lot of that is driven by Kickstarter's popularity. It's a great way for indie developers to get the funds they'll need to make their dream a reality. But those orders happen before the game's even been made, so they can make sure they've produced enough units to cover their initial demand. (The downside of that is that it takes months to get the game into your hands.)

Our plan going forward is to start selling the game on October 13th. If in the event that we sell out of this initial wave of units, we'll begin pre-orders (post-orders?) for future waves. This feels to me like the best of both worlds where people can have confidence in their purchase but then we're still treating players in a 'First Come, First Serve' manner that still feels very fair. So in the event we sell out, we will begin selling units for the wave that is due to ship in December. If that sells out, we'll roll over to a future wave due to ship in late Spring.

So, I suppose in that sense, we are planning on doing pre-orders, but only if they end up being necessary and, more importantly, only after people have had enough time to digest the content out there to know if MvM is for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I think you made the right decision and for the right reasons. Certainly the hype and letdowns for people from hot games can often torpedo a game's longevity if it goes wrong. Congrats on doing it right, even if others aren't so understanding of the reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You Win
msg tools
Thanks for clarify. All the best to you and Riots, really want this to be a success. Had always been a fan of LoL and was really excited to see Riot make a ccop board game.

I just hope I can get it on the first print. Finger crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closer we get to the big day the more scared I'm getting. There are people bragging about having access to multiple accounts just to buy a bunch of copies to sell off. Isn't there some way to prevent that from happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goemon12677 wrote:
The closer we get to the big day the more scared I'm getting. There are people bragging about having access to multiple accounts just to buy a bunch of copies to sell off. Isn't there some way to prevent that from happening?

I honestly wouldn't be too worried. 15,000 copies on launch day is a huge number. There's a poll here on how many people will buy on day one, and it's around 300 currently. I did a similar poll on the Riot Games forums, and about 8 people said they were buying on day one.

Obviously for each one of these, there are people who aren't participating in the polls, but even if the ratio is 10 to 1, there will be plenty of copies left.

And Riot Games are dedicated to producing the game as long as there are people interested in buying. So there's no point in scalping the game... There's no reason to pay huge amounts of money for this game when Riot will continue to sell copies at a reasonable price.

I'll be at home on the 13th hitting refresh to make sure I get my copy, but I'm about 90% sure that when Oct 14th rolls around, there will still be copies left to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the uplifting reply! I like to think that what you said will be true as well, still I am getting paranoid the closer we get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goemon12677 wrote:
Thanks for the uplifting reply! I like to think that what you said will be true as well, still I am getting paranoid the closer we get.

Well, if he's correct, anyone speculating will get a rude awakening. Especially when you consider ebay and paypal fees can amount to up to 20% of the selling price.

This isn't a kickstarter with a limited run. It's an unlimited run that will meet any pent-up demand as necessary. Very different market dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I love your confidence in the substance of your game, and the respect you are showing for your boardgaming audience. This is incredibly refreshing in an increasingly Kickstarter driven environment. Many KS push us to invest in an unproven product, baited by exclusives, "stretch goals" that are really held back elements of the original design, and limited print runs.

You clearly have the financial means to do this a better way, and I for one greatly appreciate it. I think you will be well rewarded in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the time to search for an answer to this question that probably has already been asked, and answered but ....

Anyone have a ballpark idea of what this will sell for?

Need to know how much "good will" I need to save up from the Missus, in order to get out of trouble for buying the game!

Albcann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
Don't have the time to search for an answer to this question that probably has already been asked, and answered but ....

Anyone have a ballpark idea of what this will sell for?

Need to know how much "good will" I need to save up from the Missus, in order to get out of trouble for buying the game!

Albcann

$75 + shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Seems fairly reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.