GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,204 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Advanced Civilization» Forums » Variants

Subject: Accelarated start as a variant for new players & first games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Georgios Tzeremes
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday afternoon we tried the Advanced Civilization with our gaming club.The rules were sent in advance (a week in advance although no-one read them), and we managed to get 7 people interested to play a short version of the game up to the beginning of the Late Bronze Age (we ended up playing a bit more).

Rule explanation started at 18:00 with the intention to start the game at 18:30, but some late arrivals plus some drinks and food allowed us to start playing at 19:00.

55 minutes later we all crossed to Early Bronze age and we kept playing for another 2,5 hours.

The general comment i got afterwards from the group for this beautiful game was that the first 4 turns were really very boring. I understand that with an experienced group these 4 turns will not take 45-60 minutes but something closer to 20 minutes. Would it make sense especially when introducing the game or playing one of the first games to advance everyone to the Early Bronze age with 2 cities and a number of tokens, commodity cards etc. (balancing things trying not to favor Babylon-Egypt)? Is there some adjusted variant for this?

To make the story full, we stopped at 22:30

Babylon 1527 points (320 points value of civilization cards)
Iberia 1461 (205)
Illyria 1384 (175)
Egypt 1361 (210)
Assyria 1267 (155)
Africa 1070 (80)
Thrace 705 (105) {devastated by Civil war that left them without any cities for 2 rounds and backtracking in the AST.}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try to adjust the short game variant from MegaCiv. It should work, but you need to change the advances.

https://www.pegasusshop.de/spielregeln/8719214420024_gb.pdf

"Short game" at the end of the rules. The rest is irrelevant for you. As there are some important decisions to be made right at the start, it's not perfect for beginners. And you would need to designate an area for each civ, in which they are allowed to place their starting stuff.

As I'm typing this I realize that you do not have the cards on which the starting advances are noted. It's usually one middle-tier (~140) and 2 or 3 cheap ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
That boring start is an effective programmed instruction process. You learn how to expand, then later learn about cities, then later trade, calamities, civ advances and so on. I suggest teaching by playing, rather than teaching all the rules and then starting with the boring turns that use just a tenth of the game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko G├╝nther
Germany
Saarbr├╝cken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
slashing wrote:
That boring start is an effective programmed instruction process. You learn how to expand, then later learn about cities, then later trade, calamities, civ advances and so on. I suggest teaching by playing, rather than teaching all the rules and then starting with the boring turns that use just a tenth of the game mechanics.

Agree with this.

Also, the early turns allow you to shape your later play style in a very effective and simple way. They already offer interesting choices (when to build the first city, balance ships vs units, rough area of expansion) that I would rather not miss. They also set the tone with your neighbours, does it look like your racing to get "their" regions, or "play nice", is an alliance worth the while etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
yiorgolas wrote:

Rule explanation started at 18:00 with the intention to start the game at 18:30, but some late arrivals plus some drinks and food allowed us to start playing at 19:00.

Civ should start much closer to 08:00 than 18:00 even if playing a shortened version cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.