Subject: New player: some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ale Tucci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello guys and thanks for reading me.
I just bought all that's available for the game after i randomly fall in love with it! I already do 2 matches and i'm pretty happy with the game.
As obvious, i come up with some questions. I'm sorry in advance if some of those are pretty obvious or already been asked:

1) When Necromancers use their Influence ability, they can measure the 2 hexes for a friendly minion unit without any restriction? I mean, if a Forest is between the Necromancers and the target unit, can i still Influence them? I think yes, but i just wanna be sure.

2) The Roc Warrior Mobility takes effect after the whole combat phase right? Do the enemy get the chance of the Counter attack? I stated yes yesterday, as Counterattack and Retreat effects are all part of the Roc combat phase. But my friend was complaning about it. I think i can Counter, right? If i make the Roc Retrat with my Counter, can he use Mobility after that? Again, think yes, just wanna be sure.

3) Retreat caused me some issues. If a unit in a Building is forced to Retreat but the way is blocked (by enemy units or impassable terrain), can i ignore the damage for the Retreat cause of the Building?
If yes, does it count as a part of the combat? So if i already ignored one damage in this combat, i can't also ignore the one wound from the Retreat?
For all other instances, i can ignore one wound for every "effects" that gives me one if i'm in a building?
So for example, one Lore card inflicts me one wound, ignored. Then i am the target of 3 subsequent attacks, i can ignore one wound for each one of those?

4) Still speaking of Retreats. If i use the ability Executioner against someone who ignore Retrats, like the Immovable of the Golems. Do they indeed take the wound? I supposed yes as it is written, cause the Golem can be affected by Retrats, and they simply ignore one of those cause of Immovable.
But if they suffer Executioner before, they are unable to resolve Retrats in first place, so Immovable don't take effect, and they indeed suffer a wound. Am i correct?

5) On the same page, a unit of Bone Horrors with Unyielding suffers extra damage from Trample of the Citadel Lancers if they are Supported?
I'm not that sure about this one but i was thinking they don't take damage cause of Trample. Kinda for the same reason of the previous question, how this is written. True they are supported, but still they are not resolving the Retreat as their ability states. So they are not ignoring Retrats but they are simply unable to suffer Retreats, i think it's different from what Trample is asking. Let me know if i'm right.

6) A Flying unit substantially ignores the rules of the Terrains where it's stands, for combat purpose. Right? So if the units it's in a building, still it does not ignore one wound. If it's in a forest targeting a enemy in a clear space, it does not throw one less dice, as the enemy unit throw regular dice againts it.

7) Speaking of terrains. Graveyards, Barricades, Blood Fields, Crystal Spyre is not considered neither Impassable or Blocking terrain? Right? I'm pretty sure cause they would have written it, but better ask (little exception for Barricades with their particular rules).

8) Always on Terrains. The restriction of the Forest in combat is always beofre any other modifier? It is written, so i'm pretty sure, but still i like to be 100% sure on everything.
So for instance, if i have the Reanimates, they roll 1 die, so it's still 1 die after the Forest restriction, then i apply the Legion rule and i get more die for any figure left. Is that right? The same like if a Lore card give me Extra dices, and stuff like that.
The same could happen viceversa like: i have the Death Knights, i roll 4 dice, but cause i am in a Forest i roll only 2. I'm attacking a Roc, so now i apply the -1 modifier cause of Flying, and i roll just one dice?
It is all correct, right?

9) Still on Terrains the Central Row i suppose it is not considered "my half" as for any stated effects.
For instance, the rule say i must place the Ford in any water spaces in my Scenario card (basically in MY half of the gameboard). Yesterday there was NO water space in my Scenario card (The Widow Stone of the Undeads). There was Water on the central row cause of the enemy scenario card, but i don't considered the central row as parte of my half of the board, so i did not place my Ford token. I was correct?
On the same page, speaking of Barricades, rules say that after revealing, i can move Barricades in any clear hex on my half of the gameboard. Same question, does the central row count as mine?

10) When i use Automaton of Ironbounds, it is in all effects one more Order/Activation this turn. They can Move (with the plus one) and Attack, right? I'm totally sure about this one but they just seems soo good to me *_*
EDIT: ok i noticed i was wrong while writing. Practically using Automaton i ignore the restriction from zones of the board, plus taking the plus 1 movement, right? So i still have to count the Ironbound unit to the total maximum of the units that the Command card i played stated so, correct? I just read it on the rulesheet also, i missed it in before.

11) When a terrain block the rest of my movement, like Forests, Buildings, Command Tents and stuff. Does any other effect can make me move more in the same turn?
Some examples, i move Reanimates 1 space into the Forest, so i lose my other Movement point. In the Attack Phase, a nearby Necromancers unit use Influence of those Reanimates, can i move them? I suppose yes, but prefer to ask.
They same can apply to Bone Horros with Compelled?
Or to any infantry unit with the Onslaught (i think that was the name) Command Card? The one that state that i can Order 3 infantry units. Then after Movement phase every ordered unit may move 1 more hex.

12) On Golems and their Heroic ability Stunnin Blow. Cause the Heroic abilities are practically the first thing i resolve in a combat. The unit become stunned, so in this same fight i can't counterattack a Golem unit that is attacking me, correct? On the same page, i cannot eventually Retrat cause i'm Stunned, so any Flag result is converted into a wound? Think yes.

13) Rune shield ability from Greyhave Mages. The rule on the card say that i have to remove the Shield when i got attacked. And then eventually ignore one wound. So i guess that i have to remove the shield even before rolling the dice, it might cause to waste the Shield cause the dice occur no wounds. Or for example just one wound comes out but the Shielded unit was into a building. Still, the Shield needs to be removed in before. Correct?

14) EDIT: I was almost forgotting the first question it comes up to me yesterday. I understand how it wors the direction of Reatreat with Ranged attacks.
But what happen when the two units in question are just facing each other.
I mean, if i make a ranged attack to the target enemy, and my line of sight is just traced along both mine and the enemy perpendiculare hex edge? Does the attacker choose which one of the hexes between the target is used for the Reatret? Or?

Well, i think i've asked everything i've come up with yesterday.
I am really thankful to anyeone that willing to help me out and take his time to answer.
I know most of the question are self-answering, but as i told, i like to be sure.
I suppose also that most question have been already asked, or even some answers might be clearly already written on the rulebooks.
So i'm sorry in advance.

Cheers up, a beer from me for anyone that comes to Italy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The_LoneWolf wrote:
1) When Necromancers use their Influence ability, they can measure the 2 hexes for a friendly minion unit without any restriction? I mean, if a Forest is between the Necromancers and the target unit, can i still Influence them? I think yes, but i just wanna be sure.

Line of sight is not needed for influence.

Quote:
2) The Roc Warrior Mobility takes effect after the whole combat phase right? Do the enemy get the chance of the Counter attack? I stated yes yesterday, as Counterattack and Retreat effects are all part of the Roc combat phase. But my friend was complaning about it. I think i can Counter, right? If i make the Roc Retrat with my Counter, can he use Mobility after that? Again, think yes, just wanna be sure.

Yes, the opponent can counter before the Roc flees.

Quote:
3) Retreat caused me some issues. If a unit in a Building is forced to Retreat but the way is blocked (by enemy units or impassable terrain), can i ignore the damage for the Retreat cause of the Building?
If yes, does it count as a part of the combat? So if i already ignored one damage in this combat, i can't also ignore the one wound from the Retreat?

Yes, the damage is part of the combat, so if it's the only damage the unit would have taken, it's blocked. If it took other damage, it would not be blocked because it's part of the same combat.

Quote:
For all other instances, i can ignore one wound for every "effects" that gives me one if i'm in a building?
So for example, one Lore card inflicts me one wound, ignored. Then i am the target of 3 subsequent attacks, i can ignore one wound for each one of those?

Correct.

Quote:
4) Still speaking of Retreats. If i use the ability Executioner against someone who ignore Retrats, like the Immovable of the Golems. Do they indeed take the wound? I supposed yes as it is written, cause the Golem can be affected by Retrats, and they simply ignore one of those cause of Immovable.
But if they suffer Executioner before, they are unable to resolve Retrats in first place, so Immovable don't take effect, and they indeed suffer a wound. Am i correct?

Immovable ignores a retreat result as if it wasn't there. It doesn't "resolve" the retreat, so Executioner doesn't override Immovable. Executioner only causes retreats that WOULD be resolved to be stopped. The Golem would still ignore the first retreat with no effect.

Quote:
5) On the same page, a unit of Bone Horrors with Unyielding suffers extra damage from Trample of the Citadel Lancers if they are Supported?
I'm not that sure about this one but i was thinking they don't take damage cause of Trample. Kinda for the same reason of the previous question, how this is written. True they are supported, but still they are not resolving the Retreat as their ability states. So they are not ignoring Retrats but they are simply unable to suffer Retreats, i think it's different from what Trample is asking. Let me know if i'm right.

Supported units don't have to resolve retreats, they just ignore them. So a supported Bone Horror will be safe normally, but they can still be Trampled.

Quote:
6) A Flying unit substantially ignores the rules of the Terrains where it's stands, for combat purpose. Right? So if the units it's in a building, still it does not ignore one wound. If it's in a forest targeting a enemy in a clear space, it does not throw one less dice, as the enemy unit throw regular dice againts it.

Correct.

Quote:
7) Speaking of terrains. Graveyards, Barricades, Blood Fields, Crystal Spyre is not considered neither Impassable or Blocking terrain? Right? I'm pretty sure cause they would have written it, but better ask (little exception for Barricades with their particular rules).

I'd have to look at those specifically, but if the rules for those terrain don't say anything about those, they aren't. I know none of them are "impassible", I don't recall which ones (if any) of them are "blocking".

Quote:
8) Always on Terrains. The restriction of the Forest in combat is always beofre any other modifier? It is written, so i'm pretty sure, but still i like to be 100% sure on everything.
So for instance, if i have the Reanimates, they roll 1 die, so it's still 1 die after the Forest restriction, then i apply the Legion rule and i get more die for any figure left. Is that right? The same like if a Lore card give me Extra dices, and stuff like that.
The same could happen viceversa like: i have the Death Knights, i roll 4 dice, but cause i am in a Forest i roll only 2. I'm attacking a Roc, so now i apply the -1 modifier cause of Flying, and i roll just one dice?
It is all correct, right?

That sounds correct; I'd need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Quote:
9) Still on Terrains the Central Row i suppose it is not considered "my half" as for any stated effects.
For instance, the rule say i must place the Ford in any water spaces in my Scenario card (basically in MY half of the gameboard). Yesterday there was NO water space in my Scenario card (The Widow Stone of the Undeads). There was Water on the central row cause of the enemy scenario card, but i don't considered the central row as parte of my half of the board, so i did not place my Ford token. I was correct?
On the same page, speaking of Barricades, rules say that after revealing, i can move Barricades in any clear hex on my half of the gameboard. Same question, does the central row count as mine?

The center row is considered to be on both halves of the board for "my half" things. Setup is a little different in that you only set up terrain on one part of the center row, but in game, it's both sides.

Quote:
10) When i use Automaton of Ironbounds, it is in all effects one more Order/Activation this turn. They can Move (with the plus one) and Attack, right? I'm totally sure about this one but they just seems soo good to me *_*
EDIT: ok i noticed i was wrong while writing. Practically using Automaton i ignore the restriction from zones of the board, plus taking the plus 1 movement, right? So i still have to count the Ironbound unit to the total maximum of the units that the Command card i played stated so, correct? I just read it on the rulesheet also, i missed it in before.

It's still part of your normal order count, you just ignore section. You can use it even if it's in the right section, too, to give it the extra movement.

Quote:
11) When a terrain block the rest of my movement, like Forests, Buildings, Command Tents and stuff. Does any other effect can make me move more in the same turn?
Some examples, i move Reanimates 1 space into the Forest, so i lose my other Movement point. In the Attack Phase, a nearby Necromancers unit use Influence of those Reanimates, can i move them? I suppose yes, but prefer to ask.

Later movements in the same turn can still be done, so in your example, Influence would work.

Quote:
They same can apply to Bone Horros with Compelled?
Or to any infantry unit with the Onslaught (i think that was the name) Command Card? The one that state that i can Order 3 infantry units. Then after Movement phase every ordered unit may move 1 more hex.

Correct in both cases; the extra move after the move step is a separate move. The terrain restriction applies to each individual moves, not for the whole turn.

Quote:
12) On Golems and their Heroic ability Stunnin Blow. Cause the Heroic abilities are practically the first thing i resolve in a combat. The unit become stunned, so in this same fight i can't counterattack a Golem unit that is attacking me, correct? On the same page, i cannot eventually Retrat cause i'm Stunned, so any Flag result is converted into a wound? Think yes.

Correct.

Quote:
13) Rune shield ability from Greyhave Mages. The rule on the card say that i have to remove the Shield when i got attacked. And then eventually ignore one wound. So i guess that i have to remove the shield even before rolling the dice, it might cause to waste the Shield cause the dice occur no wounds. Or for example just one wound comes out but the Shielded unit was into a building. Still, the Shield needs to be removed in before. Correct?

The shield is removed regardless of whether any damage was done or whether the shield blocked a damage.

Quote:
14) EDIT: I was almost forgotting the first question it comes up to me yesterday. I understand how it wors the direction of Reatreat with Ranged attacks.
But what happen when the two units in question are just facing each other.
I mean, if i make a ranged attack to the target enemy, and my line of sight is just traced along both mine and the enemy perpendiculare hex edge? Does the attacker choose which one of the hexes between the target is used for the Reatret? Or?

The attacker essentially chooses; when tracing a LOS through a hex corner like that, the attacker "nudges" the LOS to one side or the other to determine which hex side the attack is coming from. If doing so puts the LOS through blocking terrain, you can't "nudge" it that way and would have to nudge it the other way.

There's some discussion about that here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21994024#21994024

I hope these help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

1) Yes, the Necromancer does not require line of sight, so he can influence minions on opposite sides of hills, buildings, forests, etc.

2) Yes, you will counter the Roc before it has a chance to use Mobility. Also, if you force the Roc to retreat, it will still be able to use Mobility.

3) Yes, you can ignore damage caused by retreats if you are in a building. It is still part of the combat (resolving damage first, then retreats, then lore effects). As such, if you already blocked one damage from the building during the resolve damage step, you can't ignore the damage from retreating into impassable terrain or enemy units.

4) Even though they are unable to resolve retreats, they still get to ignore one of those retreats. Example: You would only deal damage from retreats by a Death Knight to a Rune Golem if you rolled [heroic]-[morale]-[morale] allowing you to activate Executioner and dealing two retreats, one of which gets ignored, resulting in 1 damage.

5) As above, the Bone Horrors get to ignore all retreats if they are supported, so even though they can't resolve retreats, the retreats effectively don't exist because they are ignored.

6) Correct. No combat bonuses or penalties for Rocs in their own hexes. So as you noted, it does not ignore 1 damage if in a building hex and is not restricted to rolling 2 dice when in a forest hex. Remember, however, that it does not ignore effects of hexes it attacks into.

7) Correct.

8) Sounds right to me.

9) You can place barricades in the center row during setup, but fords must go on hexes shown on your scenario card.

10) Yeah, they count for your total number of ordered units. So if you only get to order 3 units per your command card, having an Ironbound unit does not allow you to order 4 units.

11) This is really hard to explain concisely. If you move into a forest hex and later receive a retreat, you can retreat out of it. The game doesn't "remember" that you moved into that forest hex earlier in the round. Another example: an enemy unit attacks your unit, forcing it to retreat into a forest hex. Another enemy unit then attacks that same unit and forces it to retreat. You will retreat out of the forest instead of suffering damage. To take damage, you would have to retreat into it from one attack and still have leftover retreats to resolve. Those leftovers become damage. So each movement and each attack will reset the restriction of stopping when you enter a forest hex. The same applies to Buildings and Barricades.

12) The center row is shared by both players and is considered to be part of each player's half of the board. So if something during setup has you place a tile, token, etc. on your half of the game board, hexes in the center row are legal for placement of that object. (In the rules reference guide, you can find this on page 5 under "Game Board," assuming you have the English rules.)

13) Yes, stun is a very powerful condition. As you surmised, the target unit can't counterattack and can't resolve retreats.

14) This is commonly misunderstood rule. When attacking with a ranged unit, you draw an imaginary line from the center of the attacker's hex to the center of the target's hex. This is how you determine whether the attack is blocked or not. Usually, this line will clearly go through one side of the hex. In that case, the target retreats away from that edge of its hex. But in some cases, the line of sight goes straight through a corner. In these cases, you shift the line to the left or right before your attack. If after nudging the line, the line goes through blocking terrain, you can't shift the line that direction. If both sides are free from blocking terrain, the attacker chooses which way to nudge the line. Nudging the line has the effect of putting line of sight through a single edge of the target's hex. That edge is now the one the target unit will retreat from. Note that if you can't nudge the line in either direction because it will overlap blocking terrain on both sides, the attacker does not have line of sight to the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The_LoneWolf wrote:

The center row is considered to be on both halves of the board for "my half" things. Setup is a little different in that you only set up terrain on one part of the center row, but in game, it's both sides.

I need to adjust my response. The rules for setup specifically say that you place a ford token on a water hex shown on your scenario card. So you can't place ford tokens on the left half of the center row because those are not on your scenario card.

However, Barricades are placed anywhere on your half of the board. They don't have the same restriction as ford tokens, so you can place those on any hex in the center row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciao Ale, you might also want to check the Errata and FAQ document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have very good intuition here.
The other guys gave you all the answers.
I will just add one small footnote
The_LoneWolf wrote:
Unyielding ability saying that BH cannot resolve retreats means that they will always suffer damage instead of retreating - unless supported.
But then even when supported, if trampled - they take damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ale Tucci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys, really thanks for all your time! I truly appreciate it.

As told, most of them was just confirmation on things i was already kinda certain, but well, better be 100% sure

I'll look forward to play this game more and more, i'm really enjoying that!

Bad news is that in my first 2 matches i won with huge lead and both of the friends that try the game with me ends up a little sad and frustrated.
They claim that Undead are OP and Daqan Lords are not.
But there is so many variable here, mustering, movement decision, orders and stuff. Plus luck on dice and cards drawn.
I can clearly see the mistakes they made and i told them, i hope they wanna play again
(just random talk, don't bother to answer. Unless you think Undead are really OP, then tell me why if you like!).

Budgernaut wrote:
5) As above, the Bone Horrors get to ignore all retreats if they are supported, so even though they can't resolve retreats, the retreats effectively don't exist because they are ignored.

So they still get Trampled or not, in your opinion? Sorry if i don't get it

And guys, to be totally sure. If it happens that my Scenario card does not represent a Water hex. I simply don't get to put my Ford token.
Also, are Ford token always mandatory? Or i can choose to put it or not?

PS: and thanks for the FAQ links Giulio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_LoneWolf wrote:

Budgernaut wrote:

So they still get Trampled or not, in your opinion? Sorry if i don't get it

Sorry. I didn't read your description of the scenario thoroughly enough, so didn't respond correctly. Ignipes is right; if they are supported they suffer trample damage.

If they are unsupported, they will take damage because they can't resolve retreats. So basically, Citadel Lancers have it out for Bone Horrors no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
Ciao Ale, you might also want to check the Errata and FAQ document.
+ you might also want to check Reference Books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.