Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for the following things in a combat system:

Simple rules - I don't want pages and pages of rules to know with many exceptions.

Complex structure - A tech tree or something comparable, where players can customize their units as they like. I don't want a lot of upkeep though with a ton of modifiers here and there.

Deep - There should be multiple options of attack and defense.
Quick - I want each battle to be resolved quickly.

A small degree of randomness - I don't the superior forces should win absolutely, but at the same time I don't think they should lose often either.

I doubt a game exists that has all this, but I am looking for what is out there that people enjoy. The games can be entirely card based, dice based, have a board and miniatures, have no board, no miniatures, whatever. I have some games that come close to what I'm looking for and have my eyes on another game or two. I want to know what others think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet is the first thing that pops into mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Summoner Wars with its billion factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
msg tools
mbmbmb
Space Empires 4X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WAR: A BATTLE OF NERVES for 2 - 4 players by Larton Game Company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it occurs to me that it might help if you could give us some examples of games that you feel fulfill each of these criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the combat system in Forbidden Stars. The combat itself ticks all those boxes I think, though the bigger game around it is not simple or quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
it occurs to me that it might help if you could give us some examples of games that you feel fulfill each of these criteria.

I feel that from my own list of games that Kemet hits on many of the points I am looking for.

Nexus Ops hits a lot of points as well. It is a simple enough game, but certain units gain an advantage on certain terrain, other units can't go on certain terrain. Cards are used with dice and there is a decent amount of randomness. The thing missing would be a tech tree of sorts.

Forbidden Stars has tech that you can develop for certain units so that you can focus on a certain aspects of development and combat. Most deck builders encompass this adapting to what's going on aspect.
Kemet has tech that you can develop as well.

While Forbidden Stars is great, combat can take a bit of time and can be a bit of a downer for those not involved. I personally don't mind as I'm usually zoned in whether I'm directly involved or not, but there are some that can't stand down time.

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set looks like it hits a lot of points I'm looking for, but I don't know for sure.

The Ares Project seems like it hits many of the points as well, but I think playing behind a screen most of the time will detract greatly from the enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game? It is a deckbuilder of sorts that I think ticks all of the boxes with its resolution of matches, though its conflict isn't about warfare. You build up your deck of players and upgrades as you see fit with the resources you win, the mechanics are simple and quick, and there's randomness in the card draw, blocking dice, and the cheat tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that fits most of your requirements, but is a bit different from the games already mentioned, is Neuroshima Hex!. The only point this doesn't really hit is "Complex Structure", but I am not sure how much customizing you want (there are many factions to choose from in NH, but you don't get to customize your deck, though I am sure there are ways people have done that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

So, simple but complex, quick but deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Duel of Ages II might not be a terrible recommendation. There are a lot of rules, but the combat itself is mostly just comparing 2 values.

That said, there are LOTS of values and different equipment to help change things around. There is randomness, but if you have a much higher value than the other person then you are generally in a better spot for doing damage or the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A quick look at the shelf and Memoir '44 and especially Deadzone pop out at the mo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.