Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Set of rules and balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm about to play 3rd edition for the first time. I've played 1ed many years ago, but I don't have it anymore. I heard different opinions about rule changes between 1ed and 3ed. Some people don't like new overwatch rules or guard action for example. I wonder if the game is still balanced with 3ed rules. It seems that Marines received a buff while Genestealers got nothing meaningful.

Does Space Marines have easy time in 3ed? Do you use some custom mix of 1ed/3ed rules for your games? I'd like to hear opinion from experienced players.

Thanks
For the Emperor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first scenario has double the Spawn rate it used to (2 blips instead of one each turn),so their boost is in the numbers.

Balance varies a lot depending on the scenario anyway (I think that was also true in 1st ed. though). That's why they advise to switch sides, play again, and compare your results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an asymmetrical game, balance goes out the window. It's not supposed to be balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find both editions to work equally well.
I personally prefer 1st edition rules, but that is mainly because they already worked fine to begin with, so why change them?
Marines have been buffed a bit in 3rd edition, but no big change in balance really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
This is an asymmetrical game, balance goes out the window. It's not supposed to be balanced.

Tell that to General Custer.

"Asymmetrical game" means the two forces are asymmetrical in capability (Space Marines can shoot and fight, Genestealers have no shooting, but better fighting). But, asymmetrical does not preclude the battles (or scenario) from being balanced by other factors such as numbers and terrain.

Third Edition rules are a little cleaner and more comprehensive than First Edition. Fuzzy areas such as Line-of-Sight are simplified. Command Points are more codified. The included scenarios are a "Best of" previous editions and expansions. So, are included weapons, and much easier to use Psychics.

Minor changes to Overwatch (especially Jamming) have a major effect on gameplay. Overwatch is more reliable. The Genestealer player cannot count on the inevitable Jam result to let him break through the Marine's flanks or rear. He has to keep up that threat, but the focus of the game switches mostly to the Marine's point of attack. This becomes one of those gameplay situations where the good guys have it pretty easy until something goes wrong. And, then it all goes to hell. For example, my friend loses an entire squad of 5 Terminators to ONE Genestealer, in just TWO turns. It's tempting to chalk up a defeat to "bad luck" without realizing the inevitability of "bad luck" is built into game balance. Planning for and dealing with bad die rolls takes on greater importance.

The rules for each of the four editions are solid (just between us, when I'm feeling all chic and saucy, I pull out my Second Edtion). But, you don't have to make hard choices. Rules for all four editions are lightly embedded in the Internet. You can use First edition rules, or, it's even easy to mix-and-match. Plus, there are so many scenarios floating around, anyone who has played them all should probably reassess his life goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't it 3rd edition that made a mess of LoS and then they changed it back in 4th? As in only seeing a straight line down the middle into a room?

Naturally I use this moment to share this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOua1NGUXo5c0hwWG...

The new OverWatch having sustained fire does kill of your stealers fast. I'm yet to win a game as the Stealer player using 1st edition scenarios mixed with the new rules. The extra blip count added in the newer edition is essential but we ain't tried it yet. Ambush tokens, placing crates and of course ALPHA BLIPS, Hybrids will help too.

Don't forget to check out my LoS diagram.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2622392/mitchiemasha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip, I love the work you've done. Loved it back when you first posted it. I can't remember if V2 did away with the awkward and unnecessary field of vision rules of V1. V3 does not use them, so that's an improvement as I see it (pun intended).

I would agree V3 overthought and over simplified LOS. But, it did create less odd situations than it eliminated. I like V4's rules for LOS. They are easy to implement.

Interesting the effects of the new rules on old scenarios. There is a massive pdf of 300+ missions fit to V3 maps. I do not know if they are adjusted for the differences in the balance of scenarios caused by the differences in the rules.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uw2wj91wizc2ghm/Space%20Hulk%20Mis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you... I keep spamming every one with it. The rule summary changes every few months. Always something new to add or different way to word the sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.