Subject: What is the closest boardgame to Close Combat on PC? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I hope some of you folks played the Close Combat series on the PC some years back. I am looking for a similar experience with a boardgame. Are there any suggestions?

For those not familiar with CC series, it was a turn based WWII squad level game. Its primary innovation was the modeling of morale, where units under fire would be suppressed and may not follow orders blindly. This was in contrast to the RTS games where the units marched to their death according to your wishes. Depending on the loses taken both by the squad and the side, the units' performance would falter and they could also run away. Another major element was concealment: if units were in cover and sneaking around, the opponent would not see them until one of his squads got really close. This meant sneaking around, flanking and ambushes were real strategies. It was very tense moving around fields, trenches, houses etc since you could at any time be attacked by hidden enemy units. It was a lot of nail biting fun moving snipers and bazooka units into position, or trying to draw the opponent armor into the field of fire of your concealed AT gun.

Here are some elements I am looking for:
* squad level
* suppression of units
* coordinated fire
* hidden units, as much as possible.

I will sacrifice realism for ease of play. I am not looking for ASL. Had the upcoming Tide of Iron been a block game and handled hidden units better, it may have been what I am looking for. It still may be the closest I'll get.

Multiplayer possibilities are always a bonus. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved playing that series. As for similar board games, I'd either go with Squad Leader, ASL, or Combat Commander though CC:E doesn't have tanks. The upcoming Tide of Iron will have a similar flavor to those PC games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't CC based on ASL, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
Wasn't CC based on ASL, though?

Loosely. It originally started as a project with AH called "Beyond Squad Leader", but the developers took it with them before it was published.

I think the best choices for getting the "Units may not always be able to follow orders" effect is in Combat Commander and Up Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
By the way, Combat Mission are a PC game series likely to CC but with far more meat IMO (although much less cool in graphics and so...)
One of my preferred PC wargames. It's worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
The experience of the Close Combat games, for me at least, was almost like trying to solve a puzzle rather than directing a major assault, even when you were directing a major assault. Since cover and concealment was modeled so well in the game it was usually foolish to roll in with the tanks, as I invariably lost a few to rear panzershreck shots or an AT gun. If I had my troops rush, they got ambushed and broken in open field. So it was a lot of circuitous routes, combined fire, and cautious advances. And even when you found the enemy, it was not easy to kill them if they had good cover. Do these games have the same feel? I suppose hidden units in cover will be more important to recreate this experience than the modeling of morale. Again, I am not after so much a simulation with extensive rules as I am after the experience of cautious advance with combined arms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could certainly play Ambush! in that fashion...

edit - i can't spell today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mehmet Fatih Bas
Turkey
Burdur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's surprising that nobody yet mentioned Lock'n Load.
You should give it a try. The free demo is available at official website.

Best
Fatih

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
By the way, Combat Mission are a PC game series likely to CC but with far more meat IMO (although much less cool in graphics and so...)
One of my preferred PC wargames. It's worth a try.

Ditto, especially when you can get all three Combat Mission games (Operation Overlord, Beyond Barbarrosa, and Afrika Korps) for $20 in the Combat Mission Anthology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Definately ASL--why? Because you CAN constantly move your units in Close Combat unless they are broken. This is exactly how ASL works, and not how CC: Europe works.

Close Combat was certainly based on Squad Leader: no two ways about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there are 2 choices that i am aware of that match your listing. 1st is Soildiers from West end games, 2nd is Ambush from Victory games. Well, imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will read more about Lock and load, Ambush, etc and see if their complexity level matches the experience I am looking for. It also turns out someone released a remake of close combat III for the current machines under the name of CC: Cross of Iron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why you don't want ASL, since both Close Combat & Combat Mission were originally based on ASL. For my money Combat Mission was the better of the two, in part because of the graphic mods.

However, have you consider ASL Starter Kits, which does most ASL things without the chrome. ASL is quite a simple game at the core, with a huge amount of chrome strapped on. Starter Kits take a fair load of the chrome away (I'm told).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caltino wrote:
For those not familiar with CC series, it was a turn based WWII squad level game. Its primary innovation was the modeling of morale, where units under fire would be suppressed and may not follow orders blindly. This was in contrast to the RTS games where the units marched to their death according to your wishes.

Not to derail, but the CC games are real-time, not turn-based. And several other RTS games model morale/disobedience (e.g. Sid Meier's Gettysburg, the Total War games, Kohan...)

Anyway, I would add Up Front to the list of suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.