Ok. So what is the actual deal here????

Today I looked at Terraforming Mars:

East
-401games - 60
-boardgamebliss - 60
-Meeplemart - 59

West
-Starlit Citadel - 79
-Mission Fun n Games - 90 (50% markup????)

What is the deal???????????

I know more retailers are showing up in western canada that offer significantly better (eastern) prices. But honestly am I missing something??

Its not shipping because other retailers are opening B&M stores locally that rival east prices.

So what is it??

(Edited to tone down aggressiveness)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rlong007 wrote:
Ok. So what is the actual deal here????

Today I looked at Terraforming Mars:

East
-401games - 60
-boardgamebliss - 60
-Meeplemart - 59

West
-Starlit Citadel - 79
-Mission Fun n Games - 90 (50% markup????)

What is the deal???????????

I know more retailers are showing up in western canada that offer significantly better (eastern) prices. But honestly am I missing something??

Its not shipping because other retailers are opening B&M stores locally that rival east prices.

So what is it??

(Edited to tone down aggressiveness)

I always wondered that myself. It is sometime cheaper to order from overseas or the states than from Vancouver! Is it only a distributor locations issue? Or maybe it is related to the cost of living, where western stores need an increased mark up just to be able to have a fair profit? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: I'm not Canadian, and my knowledge of your laws is limited. That said...

I'm not sure location has anything to do with it. From my understanding, Canada has laws about charging more than an advertised price. If MSRP is on a box and you can look at the box, it's an advertised price.

So an online store wanting to charge more than MSRP would need to either have no retail location (Starlit Citadel's situation) or charge different prices at each, and draw clear distinctions relating to that (Mission Fun & Games does).

Most likely, the higher priced stores will lower their prices once the initial demand for the game is met. So either buy online from a cheaper source or wait for the 2nd or 3rd print run when supply finally exceeds demand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three you list from the east are all in Toronto (they are all brick and mortar and online retailers). There are also a lot of other brick and mortar stores in Toronto (and some of those are priced to be competitive with the online stores). So perhaps the market is just so competitive in Toronto that it drives down the prices.

There are other places in the area that sell in store and online that sell at MSRP, but often those places have something that distinguishes them (like they are a cafe).

But the cheap prices do come at a cost. For example, a couple years back FunGamesCafe was an online retailer that went out of business. And a local store (B&M only) that I would play at shut down this past summer. Now I would guess that the remaining big three are unlikely to go out of business, but I would expect that if the new stores that are opening up are having lower prices the big online places will drop prices to compete, and then a couple places will go out of business and things will start to stabilize. As things become stable I would guess prices may slowly rise again (but the rising prices I have seen in Toronto could only be due to the Canadian dollar, and the Mayfair and Asmodee policies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wynn
Canada
Blackfalds
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been to Mission: Fun and Games. Very large store, high overhead. Need to mark products up to keep a profit. I'm a western Canada store, no Brick and Mortar, my overhead is fairly low. I sell Terraforming Mars for $63.50.. not as low as some Ontario stores, I know, but still fairly competitive.

I think online stores that also have a brick and mortar component are generally less concerned with their online competition than stores that are strictly online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, okay, so we accidentally put up Terraforming Mars using the wrong discount amount. It should be using our normal markup at $69.99 (fixed). However, yes, we are more expensive than the East Coast. Among other things, we have a much higher ship cost for a lot of items (about 7% of a product price if it's coming from the East where most of the distributors are located).

Assuming a 25% markup (which the Ontario competitors have), taking away shipping and the credit card charge, you end up with about 15% gross margin. That's assuming the customer pays shipping (if not, expect to take another 3-4% off. Not a lot to cover all your other costs. It's partly why we don't compete directly on price anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.